Author Topic: EP222: Infestation  (Read 28280 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: October 29, 2009, 02:26:06 PM
EP222: Infestation

by Garth Nix
Read by Geoff Michelli

Recently appeared in By Blood We Live.

They were the usual motley collection of freelance vampire hunters. Two men, wearing combinations of jungle camouflage and leather. Two women, one almost indistinguishable from the men though with a little more style in her leather armour accessories, and the other looking like she was about to assault the south covered by balaclava, mirror shades, climbing helmet and hood. face of a serious mountain. Only her mouth was visible, a small oval of flesh not

They had the usual weapons: four or five short wooden stakes in belt loops; snap-holstered handguns of various calibers, all doubtless chambered with Wood-N-Death® low-velocity timber-tipped rounds; big silver-edged bowie or other hunting knife, worn on the hip or strapped to a boot; and crystal vials of holy water hung like small grenades on pocket loops.

Protection, likewise, tick the usual boxes. Leather neck and wrist guards; leather and woven-wire reinforced chaps and shoulder pauldrons over the camo; leather gloves with metal knuckle plates; Army or climbing helmets.

Rated R for violence and very different vampires..

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Void Munashii

• Matross
  • twitter.com/VOIDMunashii
    • Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse
Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 03:04:11 PM
  Nice story; it definitely left me wanting more stories about this character and this world. I especially liked how I spent the first half of the story wondering "This is sci-fi how?" only to have it answered by the bucketful towards the end.

"Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse"
http://mallvillestory.blogspot.com

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 03:53:34 PM
Garth Nix? Sweet!

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 06:23:55 PM
great reading, good story. I, too, found myself wanting more of this world. That's always nice for me, when I find a wolrd in a story that occupies my tiny little mind.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 06:26:16 PM
Yeah, I too definitely wanted to hear more about this guy. There's a whole 'nother unwritten (? unless it actually is written somewhere. What do I know) story about his former boss's godhood delusion suggested there. To a certain degree I felt like we only got part of the story. But I guess it delivers the gist of the situation, which is enough. And interesting. Vampires-as-alien-weapons is one approach that I haven't heard before (increasingly rare with vampires saturating everything so much these days - thanks, 'Twilight!' :p).

KenK

Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 01:57:40 PM
I kept wondering where this one was going. Was the MC a vampire himself? Was he a "hunter" (ala' "Van Helsing"). It is an interesting world the author has created here. I hope he writes further about this world.

On a side note: The thing about vampire  and zombie stories that I can't seem to get past, even though I do enjoy them, the idea that if such creatures existed and given their abilities wouldn't humans be wiped out fairly quickly? I mean the ones they kill become undead too. So either way they win. Anybody else have this view?

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 02:36:47 PM
I kept wondering where this one was going. Was the MC a vampire himself? Was he a "hunter" (ala' "Van Helsing"). It is an interesting world the author has created here. I hope he writes further about this world.

On a side note: The thing about vampire  and zombie stories that I can't seem to get past, even though I do enjoy them, the idea that if such creatures existed and given their abilities wouldn't humans be wiped out fairly quickly? I mean the ones they kill become undead too. So either way they win. Anybody else have this view?

Well,  vampires for one always have distinct weaknesses. A human who learns these and how best to take advantage of them is more likely to survive. And if there's one thing humanity has proven itself adept at its adapting and surviving. :)

Zombies its a harder point to argue, cause it must be asked, 'What KIND of zombies?" now, if you're talking about '28 days later' "zombies", those do wipe out a good chunk of humanity before (spoilers) starving to death.  Now, these are only debatably zombies. But the principle of infection, at least, is in common with general zombie lore. I think this type of zombie would have a better chance of being the Doom of Humankind. But still - I think, as depicted in the movie, pockets of humanity could survive.

Some zombies are portrayed as slow and shambling. It seems to me this type would have a much lower chance of wiping out humanity. Even the ill prepared would have more time to acquire weaponry and defeat the hordes.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 03:13:10 PM by Talia »

Prank Call of Cthulhu

• Extern
Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 12:13:15 PM
Excellent story! Great audio quality, superb narration, and I agree that it left me wanting more. That's the sign of a good short story--when it lets you enter an interesting new world and gives you a taste of what makes it unique, but doesn't reveal everything. Good stuff.

Schreiber

• Peltast
Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 02:10:12 AM
So many missed opportunities.  I liked the ambiguity of who -or what- "Jay" was, but too much was dumped too quickly.  There's a good, compelling story swimming in here somewhere, but give me a re-write.  Make me care about the alien wars that deposited vampires on planet Earth.  Make me care about whatever the hell this story is about.

Motti

• Extern
    • I will not buy this blog, it is scratched!
Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 08:23:29 AM
Yeah, I too definitely wanted to hear more about this guy. There's a whole 'nother unwritten (? unless it actually is written somewhere. What do I know) story about his former boss's godhood delusion suggested there. ...

Spoiler alert! (highlight to read)

My understanding is that the protagonist "J" is short for Judas (see references to pieces of silver), and you can guess who the boss is. It's pretty obvious to me that this is the case, the reference to the 2000 year old sliver (of the cross) was a un-dead give away.

<-- Highlight to here.

Gia

• Palmer
Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 06:23:16 PM
Vampires are alien weapons? Okay, as long as they don't sparkle.

My understanding is that the protagonist "J" is short for Judas (see references to pieces of silver), and you can guess who the boss is. It's pretty obvious to me that this is the case, the reference to the 2000 year old sliver (of the cross) was a un-dead give away.

<-- Highlight to here.

That makes a lot of sense in the context of the story. I now feel silly for missing it.

Yargling

• Peltast
Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 08:48:15 PM
Yeah, I too definitely wanted to hear more about this guy. There's a whole 'nother unwritten (? unless it actually is written somewhere. What do I know) story about his former boss's godhood delusion suggested there. ...

<-- Highlight to here.
Ahhh... I see - I feel silly for missing it now, heh. So... the vamps... alien super weapons - you saying God and the Devil are alien races? Listening to the story again, I heard mention of the Christian symbols causing fear in the vamps. And the mention of a 2000 year old piece of timber/silver

And the whole thing about the "Living God" thing and HQ ordering 'J' to take him out - man, it seems so crazy I didn't notice first time around.

Also, this story made me think of the Vampire Earth series, where in the 'vampires' are biologically engineered puppets of a race of aliens who use a kind of energy harvested from intelligent species to maintain an 'immortal' life span.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 09:04:08 PM by Yargling »

Corydon

• Peltast
Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 09:39:52 PM
I'm surprised I enjoyed the story as much as I did, as normally I find vampires so very boring.  (Buffy is the exception, and this had a Buffy-esque vibe.  So there you go.)  I picked up on who the boss was pretty early on, but didn't notice the protagonist's identity: thanks, Motti! 

In the case of vampires, I think you need to think of them as a parasite on the human species.  And a good parasite (or predator, for that matter) doesn't wipe out its host, right?  Zombies are different; they're more like a plague, which is why there's a genre of zombocalyptic fiction, in which humans are wiped out.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 12:33:24 AM
Oooooh! I didn't get the refrence initially. Now I get it and the story makes even more sense. Get to give this a re-listen with an even deeper understanding. Thanks!

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 12:39:00 AM
whoa. I completely didn't pick up on that aspect of things at ALL.

Neat.

Geoff

• Extern
Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 03:22:15 AM
When Jeremy asked me to narrate this one a few weeks back, I gave it the first read, and instantly wanted more from this fictional reality where aliens use vampires as weapons.  I hopped over to Garth Nix's website and wrote to him using the comments section, but haven't heard back.
If anyone knows of more from the same world, let us all know!

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 05:24:35 AM
good story for halloween.  oddly, i'm in the middle of blindsight right now so my scifi vampire quota has been gloriously filled in a single week.

i agree with the general trend that the story leaves you wanting to know more about the world but that isn't completely a good thing.  the volunteer vampire hunter brigade was kinda hard to accept, i needed more background about a society that thinks that this is a good idea.  it's like letting a bunch of survivalist militia have first crack at a terrorist cell.  what kind of mentality lead to this?

jay daze

• Extern
Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 09:05:24 AM
Loved Nix's Abhorsen Trilogy and have been eagerly awaiting something new from him that was aimed at something other than the 12 year old market.  Hopefully there is a full vamp novel coming from him.  Thanks for bringing out this one.

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 08:18:27 PM
I really liked this one a lot. I thought it was read well and was just a genuinely good story to begin with.

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

DaveNJ

• Extern
Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 05:46:44 AM
Liked it, but he telegraphed the "J" thing way too much. I had the twist figured out early on, and without that to go on it's really just a by the numbers vampire hunting story, albeit a reasonably well-told one. And I love Garth Nix.

The story was either too long or too short, and the sheer potential is what makes this a bit unsatisfying. Good story, but I know Nix can do better.

And am I the only one who's shocked that people missed the entire "J" thing? I mean, it was just so obvious. I guess vampires can be distracting, though.

Just ask Bella Swann...

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 05:52:51 AM
And am I the only one who's shocked that people missed the entire "J" thing? I mean, it was just so obvious. I guess vampires can be distracting, though.

Just ask Bella Swann...
nope, still dont get it.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Greenfaun

• Extern
Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 06:24:08 AM
I didn't get the "J" thing for an embarassingly long time. About an hour after I finished listening to the story, in fact. The weird part is that I figured out the alien thing and the jesus thing pretty fast, but somehow putting two and two together took a long time for me.

Also, hi, guess I'm not lurking anymore.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 05:22:19 PM
Also, hi, guess I'm not lurking anymore.

Welcome! Nice to have you here :)

Liked it, but he telegraphed the "J" thing way too much. I had the twist figured out early on, and without that to go on it's really just a by the numbers vampire hunting story, albeit a reasonably well-told one. And I love Garth Nix.

The story was either too long or too short, and the sheer potential is what makes this a bit unsatisfying. Good story, but I know Nix can do better.

Just ask Bella Swann...

No, I was surprised, too. All the clues were there. "J" is ageless. He's got a piece of wood 2,000 years old. His boss wanted to be God, and he was under orders to kill him. But there's a part of me that's always looking for that kind of stuff in fiction. I was definitely intrigued by it here, but wish there had been a little more of it. If Nix ever writes a longer piece (or more in this universe), I'll definitely check it out.

KenK

Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 03:25:21 AM
So in just one story we have vampires, religion, blasphemy, guns, blood, guts and explosions! Such a deal.  ;D

yicheng

• Matross
Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 02:14:46 PM
Awesome story!  I thought I had the plot figured out half-way through, and boy was I wrong!  Reading the boards just now, the "J" thing just blew my mind.  Heh!  Overall a flawless EP.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 02:45:54 PM
Great reading.

I think this story might have worked better as print than audio because I kept getting lost trying to pick up on the nanotech and other science-y words amid the vampire-killing action. I'd also like to know how the Lieutenant got to know Jay so that he could just say "let him in, Sergeant". It's almost Anita-Blake-ish in that way -- "I'm the biggest, baddest hunter around, so just let me in and save everyone some time, Mr. Posturing Asshole Cop Stereotype. Oh, what's that, Mr. I Understand The Situation Supervisory Officer? I can go in? Why thank you? Here's a sex scene for your trouble. Now me and Mr. I Act All Badass But Get Killed In Act Two Before The Big Fight Scene are going to go inside, along with Mr. Mysterious Former Military Guy and Mrs. Wife-of-Badass Who Sees Her Husband Get Killed But Goes On Doing Her Duty".

Sorry, I got carried away. But I think you get the idea. The story was good, but the hunters were a little cliche (other than J). The fact that I'm bringing that up probably means I couldn't find anything to nit-pick. YOU WIN AGAIN, ESCAPE POD!!!

Oh, and I think we all knew Jenny the Rock Climber would be a vampire. No real surprise there.

I didn't get the religion angle until I read it here. Though does this mean that the Ancients are really the dudes who were at the Last Supper?

Good one all around.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 09:43:06 PM
Loved Nix's Abhorsen Trilogy and have been eagerly awaiting something new from him that was aimed at something other than the 12 year old market.  Hopefully there is a full vamp novel coming from him.  Thanks for bringing out this one.

You know there's another Old Kingdom story, right? It's in a book of short stories entitled Across The Wall. The novella is called "Nicholas Sayre and the Creature in the Case". Entertaining. And what I didn't know is that apparently he's writing more Old Kingdom stuff!! Aces!! (http://www.amazon.com/gp/blog/post/PLNKNKY3YXHEOS9W)

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 09:44:03 PM
I'll join the chorus of others confessing they missed the "J" thing. Fantastic stuff!

Dave

• Peltast
    • I Can Bend Minds With My Spoon
Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 01:59:29 AM
So, I knew bundled-up-to-avoid-the-sun-girl was a vamp as soon as she was described- but that was just because modern vampire hunter lore always includes at least one "reformed" supernat on the team, and I just assumed everyone knew she was a leech. Which left me trying to figure out what J was... I figured werewolf at first, but then as more of the nanotech stuff came up, I was less sure. And then was all like HOLY FREAKIN' CRAP!!! The history angle is just awesome. And the more I think about it, the more awesome it is.

I should mention that I hate vampires. They're boring. They've been boring since the early 90s. Everyone needs to just let it go. With the exception of: Robin McKinley (where is the next Sunshine book, dammit?) and Garth Nix, who needs to write a novel in this setting.

Is there a petition somewhere for that?

Thanks, EP!

-Dave (aka Nev the Deranged)

Corydon

• Peltast
Reply #29 on: November 05, 2009, 07:46:10 PM
I should mention that I hate vampires. They're boring. They've been boring since the early 90s. Everyone needs to just let it go. With the exception of: Robin McKinley (where is the next Sunshine book, dammit?) and Garth Nix, who needs to write a novel in this setting.

I would sign such a petition, for sure.  As I said in my earlier comment, I enjoyed this story, and there are a few examples of modern vampire fiction that I like, such as Buffy, and, um...  Buffy.  But for the most part, I find vampires extremely dull.  Me, I blame Anne Rice and the sub-genre of "sexy rock star vampires."

Which is why the outro's description of all the hatred poured on Twilight struck me as so odd.  I've never seen that level of Anne Rice hate, but the Twilight books aren't doing anything that's substantially different from Anne Rice; they're just adapting the genre and marketing it to teenage girls.  Which, come to think of it, is probably the source of the hatred, whether that's ever admitted (or realized) or not.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #30 on: November 06, 2009, 02:11:33 AM
The more I think about this story, the more I like it. I love a story that leaves you with a lot to chew over.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #31 on: November 06, 2009, 02:18:35 AM
I must admit I like vampires. I just think they're a pretty cool monster concept. I particularly like what a couple of authors.. Charlaine Harris and Kim Harrison in particular.. have done with them.

A little sick of Laurell K. Hamilton's vampires, though. "Look, I am PRETTY. and I can STARE YOU INTO SUBMISSION."

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #32 on: November 06, 2009, 02:22:07 AM
A little sick of Laurell K. Hamilton's vampires, though. "Look, I am PRETTY. and I can STARE YOU INTO SUBMISSION."

Not to mention all the bonking. I mean, I like bonking as much as anyone and there's an undeniable sexual subtext to a lot of vampire stuff. But Anita? Yeesh. I think Meredith (not a vampire) was going that way too.

lunastrixae

• Extern
Reply #33 on: November 06, 2009, 05:27:08 AM
Totally missed the J reference! I'm not shocked, because that's not a part of my life or something I think about a lot. Great story though, really really enjoyed it.

eytanz

Reply #34 on: November 08, 2009, 01:35:16 PM
Loved it. Really, really, loved it. This is how to play with old toys in a new way (and by old toys I mean the bioweaponry stuff as well as the vampires themeselves).

KenK

Reply #35 on: November 08, 2009, 04:43:03 PM
I'll bet Bram Stoker, Vlad the Impaler, and Béla Lugosi  and all the rest of the iconic vampire memes are spinning in their graves.
Especially Béla Lugosi. The new "pretty boy" movie vampires seriously lack the cultured European royalty vibe he portrayed. Vlad impaled people  to punish his opposition and intimidate his rivals which was just good politics in those days. And Bram Stoker never ever made the kind of money from his novel that even one of the Twilight movies have. Go figger? ???

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #36 on: November 11, 2009, 10:09:47 PM

To make people stop writing vampire fiction?  I dunno, but if you find one, I'll sign it.

Which is why the outro's description of all the hatred poured on Twilight struck me as so odd.  I've never seen that level of Anne Rice hate, but the Twilight books aren't doing anything that's substantially different from Anne Rice; they're just adapting the genre and marketing it to teenage girls.  Which, come to think of it, is probably the source of the hatred, whether that's ever admitted (or realized) or not.

Twilight fans are the new catgirls.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:12:24 PM by stePH »

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #37 on: November 11, 2009, 11:32:19 PM
Totally did not get the J thing.  Kudos to those who spotted it.

SF Fans are hilarious.  Either they are patting themselves on the back for for how open and accepting the fan culture is, or they are bashing a subset of it.  Don't worry, I'm one of them. 

As for the story, it didn't do much for me.  I'm pretty tired of vampires and pretty tired of alternative explanations for vampires.  The infodumps broke up the action too much.  The characters and situations were mostly formulaic.  It felt more like a role-playing session than a story. 

Quote from: listener
"I'm the biggest, baddest hunter around, so just let me in and save everyone some time, Mr. Posturing Asshole Cop Stereotype. Oh, what's that, Mr. I Understand The Situation Supervisory Officer? I can go in? Why thank you? Here's a sex scene for your trouble. Now me and Mr. I Act All Badass But Get Killed In Act Two Before The Big Fight Scene are going to go inside, along with Mr. Mysterious Former Military Guy and Mrs. Wife-of-Badass Who Sees Her Husband Get Killed But Goes On Doing Her Duty".
yes. loled.

I think it was deflective back there on the hard-to-quote page one of the Episode comments who thought it was strange that they get poorly trained, inexperienced volunteers to hunt vampires.  Especially when the vampire nest is surrounded by a fence which is surrounded by professional law enforcers.  It seems that in a world where everyone knows there are vampires there would be well-trained, well-equipped branch of the military to deal with them.  If they know where the vamps are sleeping why not go in during the day and ram telephone polls in their graves?

Though I have to admit I like it that the vampires are at least freaking monsters and that people are scared of them, and not sexy emo kids.  What if in 100 years 21st century terrorists are portrayed as sexy emo kids? 

Doom xombie

• Palmer
  • Hi
    • Origin of Xombie
Reply #38 on: November 12, 2009, 01:00:57 AM

Though I have to admit I like it that the vampires are at least freaking monsters and that people are scared of them, and not sexy emo kids.  What if in 100 years 21st century terrorists are portrayed as sexy emo kids? 

I'd pay to see that, but not to see twilight...

Look its a signature! And a dragon!

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #39 on: November 12, 2009, 01:22:36 AM
I really enjoyed this story while I was listening.  However, just a couple of days after having listened to it, I cannot tell you how it ends.  I really can't. 

I would have completely missed the J thing if I hadn't read it here shortly after I started listening to it.  Sometimes, it's good to have spoilers.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #40 on: November 12, 2009, 02:47:30 AM
SF Fans are hilarious.  Either they are patting themselves on the back for for how open and accepting the fan culture is, or they are bashing a subset of it.  Don't worry, I'm one of them. 
oh! yeah! like every other group of people! :P

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #41 on: November 12, 2009, 08:25:24 PM
<-- Highlight to here.

I absolutely LOVED the " Christ as original vampire hunter" concept! I got it as soon as it was mentioned the first time in the story and thought "That is so AWESOME!" that from there on the story could do no wrong, for me.

I mean, I also picked up on the whole ....
If they know where the vamps are sleeping why not go in during the day and ram telephone polls in their graves?
...but then was quickly distracted by the shinny " Christ as vampire hunter" bauble.  It seems I will forgive a lot for such a cool concept.

Thanks to Escape Pod and Garth Nix for this!

Motti

• Extern
    • I will not buy this blog, it is scratched!
Reply #42 on: November 12, 2009, 08:39:36 PM
I absolutely LOVED the " Christ as original vampire hunter" concept! I got it as soon as it was mentioned the first time in the story and thought "That is so AWESOME!" that from there on the story could do no wrong, for me.

I thought of it more as " Christ as original vampire" (not hunter) which I like doubly, (a) it's surprising and (b) it explains why the hell vampires are afraid of crosses in the first place (and why stars of David don't do the trick).

eytanz

Reply #43 on: November 12, 2009, 08:43:17 PM

I thought of it more as " Christ as original vampire" (not hunter) which I like doubly, (a) it's surprising and (b) it explains why the hell vampires are afraid of crosses in the first place (and why stars of David don't do the trick).

No, the story states quite explicitly that the "boss" was a vampire hunter who, after killing all the active vampires at the time, decided he can use his superior tech to become a god to the humans. He was not a vampire, he was the same type of being the narrator is.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #44 on: November 12, 2009, 09:12:09 PM
it's been a while so i may not remember correctly but wasn't the difference between vampire and vampire hunter relatively minor?  both were nanotech based, the only real difference is that vampires are virulent and lose control.

there was something about the boss trying to spread his genetic material so i thought he had modified his nano to have some vampiric qualities.  plays into John 6:54, which these stories usually base themselves around.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #45 on: November 12, 2009, 09:28:23 PM
it's been a while so i may not remember correctly but wasn't the difference between vampire and vampire hunter relatively minor?  both were nanotech based, the only real difference is that vampires are virulent and lose control.

The vampires were modified to be weapons on a world that had much more darkness than Earth and dropped on Earth by mistake. Thus they were actually ill-suited to Earth conditions (can't stand the sun, and all that). The vampire hunters were sent to Earth on purpose (to eradicate the vampires), so they would likely be better suited to Earth conditions.

The vampires were specifically designed to infect their prey and so reproduce - no loss of control there. The hunters were designed to to just clean up the vampire mess, so they had no need for a similar method of replication.

So from that perspective, the vampires and hunters were quite different. But, I do think they were both from the same genetic stalk, so in that respect they were similar.

I hope that adds something useful.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #46 on: November 12, 2009, 09:38:32 PM
I just thought of another minor little tidbit that really intrigued me.

The vampire hunters were from the species that dropped the vampires on Earth by mistake during an intergalactic war. That species *lost* the war and so were required to clean up their mistake.

The reason I find this intriguing is that, in human history, don't the victors usually clean up after a war? I mean they may not, but they don't usually send the looser to a distant (and insignificant) battle field to clean up a mess there. If anyone has some historical examples to the contrary, I would love to hear them...

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #47 on: November 12, 2009, 10:59:16 PM
I just thought of another minor little tidbit that really intrigued me.

The vampire hunters were from the species that dropped the vampires on Earth by mistake during an intergalactic war. That species *lost* the war and so were required to clean up their mistake.

The reason I find this intriguing is that, in human history, don't the victors usually clean up after a war? I mean they may not, but they don't usually send the looser to a distant (and insignificant) battle field to clean up a mess there. If anyone has some historical examples to the contrary, I would love to hear them...
That is interesting.  Though I think the winners usually want something from the losers, so it's in their interest to repair the loser's infrastructure.  Also, if the losers have the wherewithal to do clean up, they could probably keep fighting.  But I think you could apply your idea to this story, since there doesn't seem to be too many alien vampire hunters.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #48 on: November 12, 2009, 11:15:44 PM
The vampires were specifically designed to infect their prey and so reproduce - no loss of control there. The hunters were designed to to just clean up the vampire mess, so they had no need for a similar method of replication.

the host loses control, subjected to the nano's programing.  am i misremembering the line about the boss spreading his genetic material?  that's why i thought he had modified his nanos to be virulent.

cdugger

• Peltast
  • I read to be smart...er.
Reply #49 on: November 13, 2009, 01:48:47 AM
OK, second to a Time Travel story, I love me a Vampire story.

And I loved this Vampire story!

And, never got the J thing. That's why I have started reading the forums!

I read, therefore I am...happy.

cercle

• Extern
Reply #50 on: November 13, 2009, 11:50:06 AM
This was so much fun ! At last : vampires I can believe in.  More, more !

eytanz

Reply #51 on: November 13, 2009, 05:13:26 PM

the host loses control, subjected to the nano's programing.  am i misremembering the line about the boss spreading his genetic material?  that's why i thought he had modified his nanos to be virulent.

If I remember correctly (and my memory is hazy on this point), the narrator was saying that he stopped his boss before he could spread his genetic material, by which I thought he meant get some women pregnant with alien hybrids.

But I am entirely sure that the boss was sent to Earth on a vampire-hunting mission, and that the vamps were already there before he arrived.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #52 on: November 13, 2009, 08:59:28 PM
aye, he definitely wasn't the original earth vampire but there is a chance that he did became one (a new version of).

the truth of it probably depends on how long of a story the author had in mind.  short story: take it at face value.  novel: turns out the genetic material had spread and the hunter encounters a hunter/vampire hybrid.  novel series: his boss, in desperation as his time ran out, created a dozen different nanobot strains and fed them to his followers in a last supper hoping that some would work.  these have created different 'bloodlines' the hunter needs to deal with.

it seems unlikely that he was planning to reproduce sexually, there was the suggestion that the alien race was insectoid before their bodies were reconstructed by the nanobots.

the relation between religion and vampires is a rich genre vein.

Kanasta

• Peltast
Reply #53 on: November 14, 2009, 12:31:21 PM
How did the boss spread his genetic material? Check out Matthew 26:26!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 12:35:48 PM by Kanasta »

RoccoFan

• Extern
Reply #54 on: November 16, 2009, 09:31:24 PM
Very nice story.

RedArrow

• Extern
Reply #55 on: November 20, 2009, 07:12:15 PM
This story was a home run in every conceivable way.  Thanks!

mbrennan

• Matross
Reply #56 on: December 29, 2009, 03:37:14 AM
Add me to the list of people who are glad they read the forums, because I missed the "J" thing entirely.  (Often don't pick up on details as well when listening -- probably because I can't easily glance back at the preceding text.)

Loved the story anyway, and love it more now that I'm aware of that aspect.  Great narration, a setup I really enjoyed (even if it does have the occasional logical flaw, as others have pointed out), and it didn't go for the obvious twist of "J is a vampire himself."  I did guess who the newly-turned vamp was before the story got that far, but knowing the destination doesn't mean you can't enjoy the journey.  Fun story all around.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #57 on: January 15, 2010, 04:45:12 PM
Great story!  And I'm glad I read the forums because the whole religious aspect totally went over my head.  Now that I think back on it that makes an awesome story even, um, awesomer!

I usually get pretty bored by vampire stories, but in the beginning the contrast between him and the other vampire hunters kept me entertained, and then later when he finally started revealing his true nature that kept me even more interested.  I kind of wish that he had started the reveal earlier on, but it kept me entertained throughout so it's not a big complaint. 

Action!  Nano!  Vampires!  What more can I ask for?  :)

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #58 on: January 15, 2010, 04:48:40 PM

Sparkles!

<ducking for cover>

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #59 on: January 15, 2010, 08:08:15 PM

Sparkles!

<ducking for cover>

Those come with the vampires, duh.  You need to keep up with the latest cryptozoological manifestations.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #60 on: January 18, 2010, 07:16:54 PM

Sparkles!

<ducking for cover>

*GROAN*

Dave

• Peltast
Reply #61 on: January 21, 2010, 01:41:27 AM

To make people stop writing vampire fiction?  I dunno, but if you find one, I'll sign it.

Yeah... on one hand, I'd like to sign that one too... but who knows, some day somebody might do something new that doesn't suck. Hey, it's not likely, but it could happen.

Twilight fans are the new catgirls.

Heh. I love S*P.

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #62 on: January 28, 2010, 05:04:10 PM
You mean there was a 'J' angle to all of this? Crap! Now I gotta go listen to it again!!! I totally missed it...and I love that type of stuff!

Someone mentioned that it would be better to read than listen, and I do have to agree. All the religion stuff went right over my head, even though I heard it loud and clear.  Good think I came to the forums, otherwise I would have passed it off as "just another vampire story"...

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #63 on: January 28, 2010, 05:07:03 PM
Yeah... on one hand, I'd like to sign that one too... but who knows, some day somebody might do something new that doesn't suck. Hey, it's not likely, but it could happen.

Vampire fiction that doesn't suck? That wouldn't be terribly vampirey :p

Dave

• Peltast
Reply #64 on: January 29, 2010, 01:13:52 AM

Vampire fiction that doesn't suck? That wouldn't be terribly vampirey :p

I'm not going to dignify that with a response.

D'oh >_<

WillMoo

• Palmer
Reply #65 on: January 29, 2010, 04:21:06 AM
Sorry but I am kind of a purist. This is sci-fi... not horror because the vampires are aliens... see not horror... honestly... really...

pffft.

(Good story but I think it needed to be longer to fully flesh out the characters and reasoning.)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #66 on: January 29, 2010, 06:08:14 PM
This is sci-fi... not horror because the vampires are aliens... see not horror... honestly... really...

It makes sense to me.  I think it would've fit in well either here or at Pseudopod.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #67 on: January 29, 2010, 06:40:32 PM
Sorry but I am kind of a purist. This is sci-fi... not horror because the vampires are aliens... see not horror... honestly... really...

pffft.

(Good story but I think it needed to be longer to fully flesh out the characters and reasoning.)

no, its sci fi because we pointed to it and said it was :P

TrapperDan

• Extern
Reply #68 on: February 02, 2010, 10:23:12 AM
some how i missed the important parts and still liked the story.

now i feel teh dumb.

Loved the idea of a vampire i could believe. Though the vampires in the Dresden series are pretty rad, you got your lame ass twilight emo vampires, your corpse vampires, and even your bat vampires.  No nanotech vampires though, and lemme tell you, the world needs MORE nano tech vampires!!! 

I am going to have to put this back on my iphone so i can listen to it again and wonder how i missed all these critical clues.  I get to root for Judas??!?!?! HOW RAD!  Wait, why is it so warm in here?!?!?!

As far as the belivability of letting a bunch of 'Merika!!! meat eating republicans put on camo and go kill the vampires first, i guess why the hell not if you think about how deadly yet how easy they are (for a short time) to contain.   You got something that is deadly fast, munches on the skilled and unskilled with pretty much the same ease, and a bunch of rednecks who want to take a shot at it.  You can contain them for hours and have your own force on standby ready to clean up if things go south.

I guess it would never happen in a nanny state, but if society got knocked around a bit and things ended up getting a bit threadbare i could see something like this.  Then again, in the UK if your kid shows up to school with a Spoon they call the swat team (armed with sharper, longer spoons i assume), so we got a while before i can paint a confederate flag on my real tree camo (larry the cable guy eddition) vampire armor and get to stabbin!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #69 on: February 04, 2010, 03:09:18 PM
Then again, in the UK if your kid shows up to school with a Spoon they call the swat team (armed with sharper, longer spoons i assume), so we got a while before i can paint a confederate flag on my real tree camo (larry the cable guy eddition) vampire armor and get to stabbin!

The idea of a SWAT team armed with spoons is just silly.  Everyone knows they're armed with sporks (which are clearly superior to spoons as weapons).

captain0terror

• Extern
Reply #70 on: August 10, 2010, 02:10:01 PM
++Superb Story
++Superb Narration
+Good sound quality

More from this author please!! I'm new to escape pod, so i'm now finding myself backtracking through all the episodes...

Please keep up the good work Escape Pod Producers, and thank you for another great distraction to add to my goodie bag of the internets!

Note: If this is a inexpiably-bad bump, please feel free to begin the smiting process....

\= )