Author Topic: Science Fiction Novel Poll - Group E  (Read 13318 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: November 04, 2009, 06:55:39 PM
1984 won last week's group, proving that future dysopias set 25 years in the past still hold a lot of weight.  Coming in second was Cat's Cradle, a personal favorite of mine and several other posters.  And for those of you who haven't read it, there's still time to get to it before the playoffs start, which should be in January.

Three books tied for third place, thus not quite making the payoffs.  Good showings by 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and Snow Crash (which I was sure was going to make first or second place - but am gratified since I personally hated it).

This week we have another political dystopia, another Dune, another Asimov robot book, the funniest book on the SF shelves, and the actual first Science Fiction novel ever written.  And lots more fantastic stuff besides, but only two can move on to the next round...

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 08:07:39 PM
I really hope Farenheit 451 takes this one.  It's one of my all-time favorites.  I though about not voting for anything else, but Hyperion and Frankenstein also got a vote from me.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 09:28:47 PM
Fahrenheit 451 is probably the book that made me fall in love with reading. I love it so :)

Wow, I was able to vote for quite a few this time around. And the ones I didn't vote for, it was mostly because I haven't read them, not because I don't like them. Glad to see Banks again. Hope he does better this time than last week, although I'm doubtful he'll be able to touch Bradbury or Frankenstein.

eytanz

Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 10:03:33 PM
Use of Weapons is by far Banks's best novel, but the competition is really tough this time.

I have to say I am finding myself less interested in these polls as time goes along, as it is very clear that a lot of great novels are losing out because they are not as well known. Which means two things:

A - The books that survive the rounds tend to be very famous, and I probably already have an opinion about them, so it's not that useful to me as a guide.
B - Among the books that have low scores that I have read, there are some I really love and others I can't stand. Therefore, I assume the same is true of the (many) books with low scores I haven't read. As a result, I can't use low scores as a guide for reading either.

So all that's left for me is the frustration of seeing the usual suspects (Orwell, Bradbury, Adams) beat out my favourites again and again. Not that the classic status of those authors isn't well earned, mind you - I have a huge amount of respect for most of the really big names on the list. But the thing about classics is that everyone already knows about them, and therefore the fact that they appear on lists is uninteresting.

Maybe, if I have time, and Ocicat's permission, I will try to run an ancilliary poll based on the books who get middle range scores in this poll. That might give rise to some interesting readings ideas...

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 10:10:17 PM
Maybe, if I have time, and Ocicat's permission, I will try to run an ancilliary poll based on the books who get middle range scores in this poll. That might give rise to some interesting readings ideas...

I think that would be really cool, personally.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 10:18:12 PM
Wow, this is a tough one. And I haven't read a bunch of things I "should" have. Haven't read "Fahrenheit 451" or "Gateway". I might have read "Caves of Steel" but I can't remember. Haven't read "Use of Weapons".

I HAVE read Hyperion and make no bones about the whole Cantos being in my personal Top Ten. (One day I must write down my Top Ten; I'm sure there's more than 10 ;-) There were a couple of concepts in there that approached epiphanies for me -- you know that wonderful point when the thing you're reading opens up a new area of thought in your head? That "AHA!" moment? You know what I mean, right? The Cantos has several of those. It's what I love best about reading, and sci-fi is what gives me that most.

"Lord of Light" is possibly in my 10 as well.

"Frankenstein" is great and classic and all but it's so boring and long. It's that century's writing style, perhaps, but I find it tedious to read.

"The Doomsday Book" is a very clever and thoughtful work which I enjoyed but it didn't "wow" me.

As for "God Emperor of Dune", weeeell... I did read that one. Didn't read any others after that.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 10:21:15 PM by kibitzer »

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 10:19:04 PM

Ya, sure!  I'd wait until January when the sixteen novels that are going to make it into the second round are finalized.  The playoffs themselves will run several months, but only have those big name books (facing off 1-v-1) in them.  But I'd love to see some more polls and more discussion of the under appreciated gems.  Though personally I'm pleased that books like Cat's Cradle and Flowers for Algernon are getting the nod in these polls - those aren't what are usually considered among the SF greats.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 12:59:45 AM
Some of you might know how much I love The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... for those of you who dont...

I FRIGGIN LOVE THESE BOOKS!
 ;D
All five (that's right you 4th and 5th book haters, ALL FIVE) are my top favorite book(s) of all time.
I count 'em all as one book really, more so because I own them all in one volume, but also because I don't think you get the full experience without reading all five.  Screw you people who don't like the last ones.  You all can just cease to exist like Dent for all I care! :O

Other than that, I liked Fahrenheit 451 a lot but didn't vote for it so my vote counts more for HHG. :P Sorry Mr. Bradbury!  I read that book, like 1984, in 8th grade as one of my first tastes of what I consider 'good' literature, the details of which I won't go into.  Anyway those books were some of the first that I was forced to think more about than just a normal reading.

But again, sorry, but HHG takes my vote.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 01:03:38 AM
Some of you might know how much I love The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... for those of you who dont...

;D
All five (that's right you 4th and 5th book haters, ALL FIVE)

There are six.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 01:06:54 AM

;D

There are six.
Young Zaphod Plays It Safe I consider a short story :P but yes I guess I should have said 6.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 01:18:23 AM

;D

There are six.
Young Zaphod Plays It Safe I consider a short story :P but yes I guess I should have said 6.

There are six even without Young Zaphod.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 01:18:50 AM
I really should give Farenheit another try.  Granted I was in fourth grade at the time and I could read and understand Frankenstein, but at the time I was bored by Farenheit.  and I have to drop a vote in for HGttG.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 01:30:02 AM
There are six even without Young Zaphod.
No. :P
Doesn't count.

of course now i have to read it.
http://www.amazon.com/Another-Thing-Eoin-Colfer/dp/1401323588/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1/escapepod-20 in case anyone else wants to, I put this link here because it's been EP-ized and so EP will get some profit from me buying it from here :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 01:59:03 AM by Bdoomed »

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 12:48:28 PM
Wish I'd read the Connie Willis, because I bet I'd vote for it but alas, I can only vote for the usual suspects in this round. 

Thereby compounding the problem eytanz described above.  BTW, eytanz, one of the reasons I was all "Blindsight!" in an earlier iteration is because I knew not enough people would have read it for it to come out on top even though it's soooooo good.  So the poll can still be useful if one culls the comments for people looking to promote their favorite underdog reads. 

I'll jot down "Use of Weapons".  Lots and lots of people have told me I need to read Banks but I confuse him with Ian McDonald all the time about whom I feel a little uneasy after reading a couple of short stories in year's bests.  So I see Banks and think "oh he's the guy who writes that India stuff that makes me uneasy".  Only he's not.  I'll try harder to distinguish them!

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 02:16:31 AM
I'll jot down "Use of Weapons".  Lots and lots of people have told me I need to read Banks but I confuse him with Ian McDonald all the time about whom I feel a little uneasy after reading a couple of short stories in year's bests.  So I see Banks and think "oh he's the guy who writes that India stuff that makes me uneasy".  Only he's not.  I'll try harder to distinguish them!

It's worth noting that a lot of Banks' contemporary novels are quite outstanding. I'd recommend "The Crow Road" and "Espedair Street" (my two faves). But you can give "A Song of Stone" a miss.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 02:17:32 AM
Fascinating (to me) that Frankenstein is rating so high.

eytanz

Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 06:11:59 AM

It's worth noting that a lot of Banks' contemporary novels are quite outstanding. I'd recommend "The Crow Road" and "Espedair Street" (my two faves). But you can give "A Song of Stone" a miss.

In his non-SF novels, I'd definitely recommend "Espedair Street", and also "The Wasp Factory" - it's a bit over the top at times but it certainly is well worth reading. I am less of a "Crow Road" fan than most who read it, though I do agree it's a good book. "The Bridge" - a book whose genre is hard to classify though it's certainly closer in style and tone to Banks's non-SF than to his SF - left me scratching my head, but in a good way.

"A Song of Stone" left me scratching my head, and not in a good way.

Oh, and back at the SF domain, "Feersum Endjinn" is gimmicky, difficult to read, but ultimately very rewarding.

Fascinating (to me) that Frankenstein is rating so high.

I think a lot of people are factoring in historical influence as a criteria. I know I am, though I use it more as a tie-breaker between books I like rather than as a main criterion.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 07:10:35 AM
FWIW, I legitimately enjoyed "Frankenstein" on its own merits.  I liked the language and the story construction, even if I thought my classmates at the time were effing nuts.  (I was in college.  I'd signed up for a course on "The Grotesque in Gothic Literature."  Sounds like a slam-dunk of a course, right?  Turns out "grotesque" meant "six weeks on 'Lady Chatterly' and a professor who has no control over either his class or his vocal cords."  I timed his "Ummmmm" once.  FIVE MINUTES.  And then the class discussion on "Frankenstein," dear sweet Lord.  They all ended up coming to nodding consensus that "Frankenstein" was actually about how Dr. Frankenstein was secretly gay, and his need to create the Creature was his quest to create his perfect gay lover, whom he threw out upon finishing because he didn't want to realize his gay love for his creation.  I don't know how the Creature's request for a bride figured into this.)

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 07:46:59 AM
Oh, and back at the SF domain, "Feersum Endjinn" is gimmicky, difficult to read, but ultimately very rewarding.

That's a succinctly brilliant way to describe both Feersum Endjinn and The Bridge. Both I found difficult, yet both have stayed with me. Definitely ones to read again.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 07:48:55 AM
They all ended up coming to nodding consensus that "Frankenstein" was actually about how Dr. Frankenstein was secretly gay, and his need to create the Creature was his quest to create his perfect gay lover, whom he threw out upon finishing because he didn't want to realize his gay love for his creation.  I don't know how the Creature's request for a bride figured into this.)

You're joking, right? Please say you're joking! FFS!!

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 01:46:54 PM
The homosexual interpretation of FRANKENSTEIN is not unknown or all that odd.  Just as easy to interpret FRANKENSTEIN as masturbation analogue - Man makes child without woman and this leads to awfulness.  Lots of people can think lots of things about lots of books.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 04:45:31 PM
My wild interpretation of Frankenstein is that it is a story about a scientist who gets so caught up in his work that he created life without asking if he should, but just wanted to prove that he could.  Then it's an examination of the consequences of such an act.  I voted for it because I really enjoy it as a fantastic example of the essance of science fiction where the author asks "what if this were possible" and then explores the ramifications and scenarios that could develop as a result.

People can read into it whatever they want, but I would think the homosexual connection would be the way society reacts to the monster as an outcast without judging him based on his merits.  I was at a party once where a gay couple were making fun of striat people who thought all historical and iconic figures were secretly gay.  Every since then I've realized that it's true.  I didn't forsee Frankenstein, but hey, here it is.  I don't discourage it.  It is fun to hear others' interpretations.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 05:29:28 PM
I didn't like Frankenstein when I read it in high school but I recently listened to it over at the Classic Tales Podcast and it blew my mind. My interpretation of it is more of a creation myth, but again, we read into it what we will :)

(I was in college.  I'd signed up for a course on "The Grotesque in Gothic Literature."  Sounds like a slam-dunk of a course, right?  Turns out "grotesque" meant "six weeks on 'Lady Chatterly' and a professor who has no control over either his class or his vocal cords."  I timed his "Ummmmm" once.  FIVE MINUTES. 

It is amazing to me how people are trained to be teachers for grades K-12, but in college professors are trained to be experts. Which they should be, but for some that's all they care about, and it still makes for some incredibly boring lectures.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 07:05:55 PM
The homosexual interpretation of FRANKENSTEIN is not unknown or all that odd.  Just as easy to interpret FRANKENSTEIN as masturbation analogue - Man makes child without woman and this leads to awfulness.  Lots of people can think lots of things about lots of books.

Masturbation is easier than "secret gay lover," since at least the "making a child alone" thing fits with the actual events of the book and isn't made up whole cloth.  I could have taken that idea more or less seriously.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 08:16:17 PM
and isn't made up whole cloth.

others could argue...

http://paganpressbooks.com/SADOWNCK.HTM

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #25 on: November 07, 2009, 12:14:37 AM
and isn't made up whole cloth.

others could argue...

http://paganpressbooks.com/SADOWNCK.HTM

They can argue but it doesn't mean they will convince me.  They are entitled to their interpretation, and if it helps them to grow psychologically, and deal with the issues they have because of their homosexuality, then by all means it's good for them to have such interpretation, but I still don't see Frankenstein as a gay love story.  Frankenstein to me is an ethics lesson.  That if you don't have some ethics in science bad things will happen, ie Just because you can do something, doesn't mean it is a good idea and that you should.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #26 on: November 07, 2009, 01:25:05 AM
Ah, okay, so it's not laughable or inarguable, you just don't agree with it.  Fair enough.

I don't either, I just don't consider it laughable or inarguable (and let it be noted, to those who didn't check it out, that in the link he does actually supply material from the text, including the earlier version, that he uses to support his reading) or dismissible (classing it as some therapeutic healing experiment, or whatever reductive frame you want to use - how dare he have a personal reason for looking at the text differently and admit to it upfront!).

In fact, I'm sure he'd agree that it's about ethics - of course FRANKENSTEIN is about science going too far, there's no denying it.  It's just that it can ALSO be about a lot of other interesting things.  Absolutes and interpretation don't mix (neither do absolutes and creativity).  Mary Shelly didn;t write in a vacuum and FRANKENSTEIN can't be read in a vacuum.  I don't get the feeling that he's saying it can ONLY be a gay love story, he's just saying it can also be read as a gay love story.  And he backs it up.

Now, how's about a little economic reading of the THE WIZARD OF OZ as critique/support of the gold standard (OZ = oz. = ounce) or a rip-roaring gender discussion on why the boy Tip reclaims his feminine body as Ozma in THE MARVELOUS LAND OF OZ?

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #27 on: November 07, 2009, 02:26:09 AM
Now, how's about a little economic reading of the THE WIZARD OF OZ as critique/support of the gold standard (OZ = oz. = ounce) or a rip-roaring gender discussion on why the boy Tip reclaims his feminine body as Ozma in THE MARVELOUS LAND OF OZ?

Nope, sorry.  That book isn't in this list or this genre.  :)  But I'm sure we can find something controversial in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  Let's see....  Why should Vogon poetry not be considered for examination as much as anyone else.  It's specist discrimination?  Even Bdoomed can't argue that.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #28 on: November 07, 2009, 02:57:38 AM
Man, there are absolute oceans of messed up in the Oz books.  You don't even want to touch those with a ten-foot cattle prod.  Stay away and stay sane.

---

Also, seconding lowky that while one CAN read Frankenstein that way, coming to the conclusion that that's the ONLY or the BEST (or even a sensible) way to read it is more than a bit off.  I was actually shouted down when I suggested that maybe Frankenstein might maybe have something to do with science.

It's sort of like those readings of Hamlet where he's in love with Claudius.  Yes, you CAN look at it that way, if you squint, but it's far from the simplest and most expedient reading.  (Hamlet's got plenty to be messed up about without being a closeted gay man, honestly.)  It can make for an interesting reinterpretation, but you have to be aware that you're reinterpreting.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #29 on: November 07, 2009, 08:21:56 AM
Why should Vogon poetry not be considered for examination as much as anyone else.  It's specist discrimination?  Even Bdoomed can't argue that.
Vogon poetry has not been considered for examination not from specist discrimination, but because of the simple fact that those who venture to study it are subsequently found dead in a pile of their own intestines.  The study has been discarded, tho to this day some still attempt new methods to examine it.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 05:26:49 AM
And God Emperor of Dune is now the only book in this week's poll to get no love whatsoever.

For what it's worth, I actually think it's a rather good book, and has echos of Dune's greatness.  But only echos.  But the plotline is very unique, and really moved the universe forward.  A lot forward! 

Still, Dune stands much better on it's own than as part of a series.  The world would be better off if there had only been the one book, but I think economic realities forced Herbert's hand.  His works set in other universes just didn't sell nearly so well, despite being (IHMO) superior to his Dune universe sequels.  Must have frustrated the man.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 07:40:38 AM
His works set in other universes just didn't sell nearly so well, despite being (IHMO) superior to his Dune universe sequels.  Must have frustrated the man.

He has other works??

(says he, thus proving Ocicat's assertion)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 03:42:43 PM
I have The Dosido Experiment on my shelf; it's among the books I inherited from my father.  I haven't read it, but the title suggests it's about square-dancing.  :P

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 06:46:57 PM
That's The Dosadi Experiment, which is an excellent book.  Or at least I remember it as such, haven't actually read it since high school - which was a long way away from where I'm standing now.

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #34 on: November 10, 2009, 12:57:02 AM
I have The Dosido Experiment on my shelf; it's among the books I inherited from my father.  I haven't read it, but the title suggests it's about square-dancing.  :P

That is quite the impressive collection of books you have inherited.  Would love to see someone reissue the brittanica series.  Who would do it now though?  I don't think time life is even doing books anymore.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #35 on: November 10, 2009, 11:37:59 PM
That is quite the impressive collection of books you have inherited. 

Want to see what it looks like? (click thumbnail for full pic)

That's two pictures spliced together; the shelf unit is six feet high and the two pictures both had the middle two shelves in them.

Here's all the pictures I've got of my bookshelves (some people on another forum I'm on were posting pictures of their libraries in a thread about bookshelves.)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #36 on: November 12, 2009, 07:53:20 AM
Use of Weapons is by far Banks's best novel, but the competition is really tough this time.

I have to say I am finding myself less interested in these polls as time goes along, as it is very clear that a lot of great novels are losing out because they are not as well known. Which means two things:

A - The books that survive the rounds tend to be very famous, and I probably already have an opinion about them, so it's not that useful to me as a guide.
B - Among the books that have low scores that I have read, there are some I really love and others I can't stand. Therefore, I assume the same is true of the (many) books with low scores I haven't read. As a result, I can't use low scores as a guide for reading either.

So all that's left for me is the frustration of seeing the usual suspects (Orwell, Bradbury, Adams) beat out my favourites again and again. Not that the classic status of those authors isn't well earned, mind you - I have a huge amount of respect for most of the really big names on the list. But the thing about classics is that everyone already knows about them, and therefore the fact that they appear on lists is uninteresting.

This is an interesting point.  It's beyond the scope of the polling system, but if there were some way to rate how much one likes or dislikes a book, then by looking at books that got few votes but enthusiastic voters, you could use that as a basis for recommendations. 

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #37 on: December 01, 2009, 02:39:12 AM
I finished (re-?)reading Fahrenheit 451 over the weekend. I still don't like it. I think it's Bradbury's writing style that gets me. I get no sense the characters are real people, they seem very cardboard to me. And he often uses odd phraseology which I find very distracting.