Escape Artists
December 13, 2017, 06:00:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EP375: Marley and Cratchit  (Read 5871 times)
schizoTypal
Palmer

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2013, 11:23:13 AM »

Ok, I realize I’m a little late to the party, and that no one has been eagerly watching the posts to find out what some random guy thinks of Marley and Cratchit, but I just can’t help but comment. I thought this was one of the best stories I’ve heard on EP. And I was DREADING listening to it. I work for a professional theatre company, and we have staged A Christmas Carol every single year for 35 years. When this episode came out, I had just experienced Dickens’s story about 16 times in 20 days. That’s why I had to wait until February before I could contemplate listening to it without wanting to defenestrate myself [just when I thought I’d never have an excuse to work that word into a conversation!]. Plus, though I love Christmas, I’m not really a big fan of Christmas stories. They’re just too hokey for me.

But I was blown away by how well this story worked (and it had nothing to do with Christmas, other than its association with Dickens’s tale). At first I was getting hung up on the inconsistencies with the original story, but I just had to put myself in the mindset of listening to an alternate version of the lives of these characters, not something that could actually fit with the original. So I enjoyed it. But then lo and behold, every single one of the seeming inconsistencies began to merge and fit with the original, until by the end they all tied in perfectly! And the narration was spot on too! This was about as flawless as an episode gets, if you ask me.

I actually thought that it would fit in with the original story just fine! But that's probably a benefit of not knowing the original inside and out.
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2015, 11:30:38 AM »

I don't usually post links to reprints after a story goes up, but I was super excited to see that the reprinting of "Marley and Cratchit" at Cast of Wonders is voiced by the excellent Ian Stuart:
http://www.castofwonders.org/2015/12/episode-185-marley-and-cratchit-by-david-steffen/

I have long wanted to have one of my stories narrated by Ian Stuart, I love his voice, and if I had to pick any one of my stories that he might be especially well suited for this would be the one I'd pick.
Devoted135
Hipparch

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2015, 11:24:59 PM »

I don't usually post links to reprints after a story goes up, but I was super excited to see that the reprinting of "Marley and Cratchit" at Cast of Wonders is voiced by the excellent Ian Stuart:
http://www.castofwonders.org/2015/12/episode-185-marley-and-cratchit-by-david-steffen/

I have long wanted to have one of my stories narrated by Ian Stuart, I love his voice, and if I had to pick any one of my stories that he might be especially well suited for this would be the one I'd pick.

Nice! It's getting very close to the top of my listening queue Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: