Author Topic: Pseudopod 167: Love Like Thunder  (Read 29554 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: November 06, 2009, 04:30:52 AM
Pseudopod 167: Love Like Thunder

By Jim Bihyeh
Read by Cayenne Chris Conroy of Teknikal Diffikulties

After he pitched his nylon tent in a nearby juniper grove at the base of the hill, he slept until moonrise. Then, under the pale light, he unfolded his steel trench-shovel and walked uphill toward the cemetery, looking for love.

Three fresh granite tombstones glinted with new sand mounded before them; the last resting place for three of the Ganado students killed that week. Dondo noted them as he searched for older love. Deeper love.

He found it at a medium-sized granite tombstone next to a clump of rabbit brush. The name read: “Elinore Tsosie,” born April 19 1933, died November 18, 2004. 71 years old. Perfect.

Dondo squatted over his haunches beside the grave, holding his hands over the sandy earth like he was warming himself beside a campfire. He pinched sand from the base of the tombstone, tasted it, then spat to the north. Here was love. He dug.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

yicheng

• Matross
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 08:44:29 PM
Loved this story.  Loved the southwest setting.  Reminds me a lot of "Skinwalker Deception".  Very awesome reading by Cayenne Chris Conroy.  I think he's got a more southwest tone to his voice than Ben Phillips had with the other Bihyeh story.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 02:13:22 AM
fantastic ride, i love it when ea lets down its hair and has fun with some action.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 04:53:58 AM
I actually found the action kind of boring.  What I enjoyed was the metaphor-play with the concept of love; fascinating work, and subtly woven.  I'm not usually big on Native American stuff in general, but I liked this.  (Mind you, thunderbirds are one of the few exceptions to my "Meh on Native American" rule.  There are some awesome stories about those things.)

One lingering question: why was the revolver a serious threat?  Several previous lines seemed to indicate that Dondo only really feared serious supernatural power, such as the ch'indi or the use of his shed hair.  Was it just that his magical tanks were running low enough that mundane threats were scary again? 

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 12:18:44 PM
Strange wonderfully woven story. I forgot I had it on my feed until this morning when I really needed something to listen to. Great way to wake up too!

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 10:29:57 PM
Really nicely done. The explanations of the rules and strictures under which these gods operate was subtly inserted, as required, rather than slabs of boring explanation. Lovely. Very enjoyable story.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 04:06:53 PM
Overall, I think I liked this story, but I felt like I was playing catch-up throughout trying to understand the rules.  Granted, this is better than an explanatory lump at the beginning, but I was never quite sure what was possible.  Also, I apparently don't know much about the thunderbird myths, because the explanation that he was a thunderbird didn't evoke any images or explanations for me.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 04:28:24 PM
I should add:  I really liked the reading.  Both of the main characters sounded distinct and interesting.  Very well done.

kurtgw

• Extern
Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 01:06:24 AM
I'm torn. I liked the story, the reader was spot on. Great piece of work.
That said, it seemed more like podcastle fare than pseudopod. Just didn't seem very much like horror.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 07:20:33 AM
That said, it seemed more like podcastle fare than pseudopod. Just didn't seem very much like horror.

Graverobbing, ghouls and ghosts not enough for you? lol

(jkng)

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 12:38:19 AM

(jkng)

Don't forget 13 year-old girls shooting their classmates. 

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 12:46:32 AM

(jkng)

and controlling your perceptions.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 07:27:17 AM

Actually I forgot to say, the image of those kids lying dead, shot to death with no sound and no witnesses, was quite chilling. What an incredible hook!

heyes

• Peltast
    • The Returning
Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 02:38:42 PM
This story has been recommended out to many of my friends. First and foremost this was an excellent example of matching the story with the right voice!  The story is haunting, in the sense that it continues to linger an provoke the dark wheels of my imagination. Thanks P-pod folks.

"Feed me Seymour!"
     -Audry II
"You were not put on the Earth to get it, Mr. Burton"
     - Lo Pan

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 10:16:19 PM
Outstanding.  Ditto on all positive comments above, and great work by the reader as well.
As for horror, the hero of the story tongued out the eye sockets of a corpse in the first act.  Blech.

bethelash

• Extern
Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 11:33:06 PM
I really liked this story. So much that I want to buy the book Coyote Tales when it comes out, but I can't find anything about it online. Can anyone point me in the right direction?  ???

The worst thing that could plausibly happen to anyone would be to not be used for anything by anybody. Thank you for using me even though I did not want to be used by anybody.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 06:27:18 PM
I really liked this story. So much that I want to buy the book Coyote Tales when it comes out, but I can't find anything about it online. Can anyone point me in the right direction?  ???

I think you just have to stay tuned.  As I understand it, it's still a work in progress from this up-and-coming author.  Maybe he'll start a mailing list you can get on (I hear that's a wise thing for authors to do).  But you can check out Bihyeh's previous Coyote Tale on Pseudopod if you haven't already, "Reservation Monsters".

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 06:45:32 PM

Me too:)  Wearing my Hub hat, we're hoping to sort out an interview with Jim once the book's released so you'll either about it through Pseudopod or Hub:)

bethelash

• Extern
Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 02:51:15 AM
I see. Thanks guys, I will stay tuned.

The worst thing that could plausibly happen to anyone would be to not be used for anything by anybody. Thank you for using me even though I did not want to be used by anybody.

Dave

• Peltast
    • I Can Bend Minds With My Spoon
Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 01:08:14 AM
I liked this one a lot. It was interesting to watch the villain turn out to be the hero... except that, as Alasdair points out, it's not about heroes or villains- it's just their nature, and nature doesn't really give a rip about us at all. And, thankfully, neither does supernature.

Reminds me of that episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark? where the kids have the x-ray glasses and can see all the invisible people who live alongside us. It's all kind of a lark, right up until the invisible people *notice* that the kids can see them. That's when the fear sets in.

-Dave (aka Nev the Deranged)

Jim Bihyeh

• Palmer
  • It is the Tale. And the Teller.
Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 11:41:28 PM
Hello, this is Jim Bihyeh, the author, dropping in to say I have finally listened to my story, “Love Like Thunder,” as produced by Pseudopod. And I must say it was worth the tortuous wait. I like to wait at least a week before listening to the story, to detach myself from the tale, before I hear someone create it wholly anew.

And Pseudopod has done just that.

I sing Cayenne Chris Conroy's praises. The man has taught me things about my characters that I'd either forgotten or had always wanted to know. His tone of subtle, forceful brutality was truly beautiful. I've written him to tell him so, and I hope some of you might do the same.

I was working on one of the Coyote Tales last night and kept hearing his voice as Coyote. I’ve never had that happen before – having another person’s voice work itself into my imagination – but it’s a powerful and enriching thing.

Ben Phillips has been an imaginative, open, but firm, creative force as editor of Pseudopod. He and his invaluable associate editor, Gary Lee, guided this story to the best tale it could become. I cannot thank them enough. 

And a double-armed thanks goes to Alasdair for his flattering into and outro commentary. It really helped me understand what others could take from "Love Like Thunder." And what I've taken by writing it.

I’ve been reading your comments and I’m so grateful that you’ve enjoyed Dondo’s story, overall.

Some of you have even expressed further interest in the Coyote Tales, a collection of interweaving short stories set on the middle of the Navajo Nation in northern Arizona.

I've been working more and more at the Coyote Tales. I've got about seven written thus far, and I'm hoping to put out four or five more. Some are 3,000 word stories, some more than 10,000. There's a novella in the mix that's nearing its final draft form.

The novella, "The Speed of Lightning," takes place immediately after “Love Like Thunder” (let’s just say that final lightning strike from Dondo has some unforeseen consequences) and follows Coyote's attempts to recruit a champion high school cross-country runner to be his latest microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan.

I'm not quite sure what to do with them. Anybody have any ideas. I know a smidgen about writing stories. But as far as podcast / internet writing publishing goes, I know – sadly – absolute dick.

Once again, thanks so much for listening. And if you’ve liked what you heard with “Love Like Thunder,” you might also enjoy “Reservation Monsters,” narrated in good haunting fashion by Ben Phillips himself.

I’ll be watching the forum this week. If you have any questions about the story, the language, the inner workings of the Navajo lore, or if anything else piqued your interest about The Coyote Tales, let me know. I’ll be sure to respond.

Hagoonee’
Jim Bihyeh

The way you walked was thorny, through no fault of your own. But as the rain enters the soil, the river enters the sea...

David Steffen

• Extern
Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 04:08:40 PM
Hello, this is Jim Bihyeh, the author, dropping in to say I have finally listened to my story, “Love Like Thunder,” as produced by Pseudopod. And I must say it was worth the tortuous wait. I like to wait at least a week before listening to the story, to detach myself from the tale, before I hear someone create it wholly anew.

And Pseudopod has done just that.

I hear you, regarding the torturous wait.  My upcoming Pseudopod story was my first fiction sale, to boot, so I can't wait to see who narrates it and what they do with it, and what insightful comments Alasdair has in his intro and outro.  I trust them to do an awesome job as always, but it's very nerve-wracking to see exactly how they do it. 

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 09:39:05 PM
Ben Phillips has been an imaginative, open, but firm, creative force as editor of Pseudopod. He and his invaluable associate editor, Gary Lee, guided this story to the best tale it could become. I cannot thank them enough. 
Just want to correct an attribution here.  As much as I would love to claim the teensiest bit of credit for this great story, I must confess that the Associate Editor who worked with Jim Bihyeh to bring this show to us all was, in fact, Shawn Garrett   No surprise, as Shawn is a far awesomer a.e. than I.  Lucky for us all that Al and Ben rarely let Shawn leave the Pseudopod Towers boiler room.  Shawn does a lot of work down there to help get out these great stories week in and week out.

Jim Bihyeh

• Palmer
Reply #23 on: November 17, 2009, 09:41:05 PM
Shawn Garrett... I'll remember that name now. I can't thank Shawn enough.

And I apologize for the attribution error.

Mea culpa. No disrespect intended.

The way you walked was thorny, through no fault of your own. But as the rain enters the soil, the river enters the sea...

Jim Bihyeh

• Palmer
Reply #24 on: November 17, 2009, 09:50:57 PM
Reminds me of that episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark? where the kids have the x-ray glasses and can see all the invisible people who live alongside us. It's all kind of a lark, right up until the invisible people *notice* that the kids can see them. That's when the fear sets in.

By the way, I think it's great that the story was likened to an episode of "Are You Afraid of the Dark" (a guilty childhood pleasure of mine). My hometown on the Rez was too far out in the boonies to get broadcast stations, and very few of us had cable. But my group of friends usually found a way to gather on Saturday nights to watch that show.

That was a solid production crew that told some very creative stories that would not have existed if not for that venue. That's how I've been seeing Pseudopod lately; it's been an excellent venue for the dark tale.