Author Topic: Pseudopod 014: Virginia Woods  (Read 5262 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: November 09, 2009, 07:25:32 PM
Pseudopod 014: Virginia Woods

By Janni Lee Simner
Read by Christiana Ellis

The wind brushed her cheek — had it ever stopped? It whistled through the leaves, high and sharp, crying like an animal in pain.

No, not an animal. Ice trickled down Eleanor’s spine. A child. Her child.

“Virginia?” The wind continued to cry. “Virginia, where are you?” Eleanor started forward, in the direction of the voice, then stopped when she felt herself trembling. Would she really find her daughter? Or just another mangled body, nothing human left to it?

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 05:58:30 PM
This was okay.  The setting didn't really interest me all that much, but I suppose it would be a big draw for a history buff. 

The premise is rather interesting in that if these magical woods did exist, then they may have been a major contributor to conflict between Native Americans and settlers.  It's natural to fear the unknown, and in this case that fear itself is the end of you.  Sort of like a physical manifestation of "There is nothing to fear but fear itself".  And interesting that prejudice kills in this case, because those who are most prejudiced, thinking of the other race as savages, are the ones most likely to die as though by savages.

The story just didn't strike me very strongly, and it quickly faded from memory.  I don't even remember how it ends.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 06:08:13 PM
This story really hit me. I think it was a couple of things...geeking out about the lost colony of Roanoke, the Virginia Dare myth, and also being a relatively new parent and being terrified of the outcome.

Also, I had forgotten this was read by Christiana Ellis. I remember being absolutely chilled by the narration it was so subtle and quiet and really added to the atmosphere.

c210344

• Extern
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 11:52:35 AM
This was okay.  The setting didn't really interest me all that much, but I suppose it would be a big draw for a history buff. 

That's me! I've been intrigued by Roanoke ever since learning about it when I was studying colonial history at university...

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 09:12:48 PM
I apologize for this one, but I tuned out midway through.  I'm not sure what it was: the reading, the story, my mood or a combination of the three but this one just utterly failed to hold my interest.  A real shame since a story about what really happened at Roanoke seemed interesting at first glance.

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.