Author Topic: Science Fiction Novel Poll - Group F  (Read 12947 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #25 on: November 17, 2009, 07:59:40 AM
Can I talk about The Man Who Folded Himself for a minute? 

Best Time Travel Novel, EVER.  It has a lot in common with All You Zombies, but it takes a self-consistant model of time travel, and really pushes it to the limits of "what-if".  Now I usually hate time travel, because most stories don't pick a consistent model.  One time you go back in time and change the past, the next time you go back in time but set up the future you were already from.  But this book sets up the rules, and then plays within them.  And it gets crazy, with the party house in the pre-historic past populated with hundreds of variant copies of the same man from different timelines living it up with themselves.  There are just some great ideas in here.  This is a book that takes one classic SF trope, and really sees what it can do.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #26 on: November 17, 2009, 09:34:58 PM
I saw parts of [Starship Troopers] and it seemed like a silly, campy version of a serious book.  The book wasn't my cup of tea, but I have respect for it.  The movie did not. 

My one-sentence review of the movie:

"The Lieutenant wouldn't like it."  :P

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009, 06:27:22 AM
Can I talk about The Man Who Folded Himself for a minute? 

You certainly can, and thank you for doing so. I've seen that reviewed as a great sci-fi book and had it on my list to read. Unfortunately, my library doesn't have a copy -- that's how I get a lot of my books these days. Fortunately, you can request the library buy a book so I think I might now do so. They've not yet turned down one of my requests, they are amazing. (Well, unless it's out of print.)