Author Topic: EP224: The Ghost in the Death Trap  (Read 19622 times)

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 03:39:52 PM
You can add me to the list of people who enjoyed this story for it's light-hearted, humourous fun!

Now, has anyone else noticed how many people on the forum when back to listen to the original? That is a neat consequence. Perhaps EP should think about running more sequels, just to encourage that kind of behaviour? In my humble opinion, anything that gets people to go back into past episodes, either for the first time or for a repeat listen, is a good thing.

cercle

• Extern
Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 06:27:36 PM
I would agree with KenK.  This story was OK, but not great.  As things go with sequels, the novelty has worn off, so it's more of the same.  In itself that's quite all right, I'm just not wild about it.  Had a couple of laughs, of course, so the zany streak is definitely a plus. Another plus is Steve's reading.  The reading does make a difference, it's not easy, and Steve's just plain good at it.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #27 on: November 25, 2009, 12:50:39 AM
As to this story - great stuff.  Loved the original, and this one was just as fun.  Mostly for the general "we build death traps" concept, but the details with the ghost and golden city were great too.
What Ocicat said.
For me it was not just the "we build death traps" thing, but that they give extended warranty service.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Gallagher

• Extern
Reply #28 on: November 29, 2009, 12:56:18 AM
I feel a slight urge to disagree with a notion that this is not really a valid Science-Fiction piece. One thing I have always found to be a clear indicator of a Science Fiction line is the mashing together of multiple time and technology levels; death-trap engineering apprenticeships, warranties, sign-posting and corporate structure might as well be any starship or artificial intelligence from a time point reference of the ancient cultures of the world. Free your mind from traditional approached but also I respect that you currently have a free opinion of your own tastes.

As for the story itself; the imagery formed clearly in my mind before the opening was complete and carried through till the very end. the only stumbling point for the story I found was the other two dead characters most importantly the would-be trap maker; I found his motivation to be the poltergheist stronger in the plotline and was unclear of Znob's reasoning when it came out. Best moment of the story for me is the misplacement of the net to catch the assailant on the temple top. A really good story I had to go through uniterupted and was glad to have done so on the first turn.

"Be Normal and the Crowd Will Accept You.
 Be Deranged and They Will Make You Their Leader."
 (Titus)

Yargling

• Peltast
Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 02:01:42 PM
I feel a slight urge to disagree with a notion that this is not really a valid Science-Fiction piece. One thing I have always found to be a clear indicator of a Science Fiction line is the mashing together of multiple time and technology levels; death-trap engineering apprenticeships, warranties, sign-posting and corporate structure might as well be any starship or artificial intelligence from a time point reference of the ancient cultures of the world. Free your mind from traditional approached but also I respect that you currently have a free opinion of your own tastes.

Actually...you're right, really. Organizational advancement and corporate structures are far beyond anything our ancestors could achieve; even now, we're moving further forward for industrial/military contractors.

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #30 on: December 03, 2009, 01:30:27 PM
I went back and listened to "The Trouble with Death Traps", then I listened to this one.  Both shot up into my "favorite EPisodes" list, and are near or at the top.  I love the tone, I love the characters, I love the reading, I love the world, I love the engineering.  More Znob the Death Engineer stories please!   ;D

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Dave

• Peltast
    • I Can Bend Minds With My Spoon
Reply #31 on: December 07, 2009, 01:07:16 AM
Fun story!

Couple things:
1) Steve, you mention this is the first sequel featuring the same characters... I could swear you've done a couple of White Street Society stories...
2) You mention the fairy-cat-killers story as if you hadn't run it already- which you have, on PodCastle. Maybe they don't always tell you what they're running?
3) It's great to hear you again! Don't misunderstand, I like Norm. He's grown on me. I just miss the voice that got me hooked on Escape Pod sometimes.

All three of these have probably been covered ad nauseum by now, but I didn't read all the other posts, cuz... I'm... busy. Yeah.

Gotta go play some more Borderlands.

-Dave (aka Nev the Deranged)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #32 on: January 15, 2010, 06:05:46 PM
1) Steve, you mention this is the first sequel featuring the same characters... I could swear you've done a couple of White Street Society stories...

That was over on Pseudopod, which has done at least a couple sequels, the 2 White Street Society stories and 2 magician book-collector stories (whose name escapes me at the moment but I enjoyed).  :)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #33 on: January 15, 2010, 06:08:32 PM
I heard this one before it's predecessor, and I really enjoyed it.  Lots of good humor here that reminded me of Pratchett in the way that modern social/financial structures were overlaid onto ancient settings.  I didn't have any trouble following it even though I hadn't heard the first one, so that's always a plus.  The details about the city of gold were fun and interesting.  I didn't get the Ghostbusters joke but I don't think I've seen that movie in 15 years.  The best part was the nonchalant way the deaths were treated--it makes total sense for someone who deals death for a living.

Good stuff!

piercebuddy

• Extern
Reply #34 on: January 20, 2010, 12:30:06 AM
I thought this story was awsome this is a perfect combination of sci-fi and fantasy and i think this also could have gone on podcastle great work.

Dave

• Peltast
    • I Can Bend Minds With My Spoon
Reply #35 on: January 21, 2010, 01:37:43 AM

That was over on Pseudopod, which has done at least a couple sequels, the 2 White Street Society stories and 2 magician book-collector stories (whose name escapes me at the moment but I enjoyed).  :)

Right. Those are both good series. Thanks for the heads up!

-Dave (aka Nev the Deranged)