Author Topic: PC078: The Tinyman And Caroline  (Read 7949 times)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
on: November 19, 2009, 01:23:36 PM
Podcastle 78: The Tinyman And Caroline

By Sarah L. Edwards
Read by Bob Eccles

Originally published in Beneath Ceaseless Skies

The sun had set while he’d been below—the stabbing light was the glow of a streetlamp. Pressing himself into the shadows of a carriage house, Jabey peered upstreet and down at the dark, massive forms of the istocrats’ castles.
The west hill, right. He’d never been this close before. From where he stood it was castles all the way up, or so the chatter said, castles built of diamond windows and brownstone flecked with gold, and livedolls hung from the doors instead of knockers.
Just one pretty was all he needed. One sparkling trinket to buy himself into the clubber chief’s service—and to buy his protection.

Rated PG: For Dark Deeds done in Dark Places
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 01:06:42 PM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

jalsk

• Extern
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 06:15:48 PM
The story was good, but I wasn't a fan of the outro that showed up around 36 minutes in...

-jalsk

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 07:39:47 PM
The story was good, but I wasn't a fan of the outro that showed up around 36 minutes in...

-jalsk

VERY sorry about that. We'll repost the file once it's been corrected. Thanks so much for letting us know about it!

- Dave

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 08:50:38 PM
The file has been corrected and reposted. Thanks for your patience!

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 09:34:23 PM
Yeah, the file error was my fault.  I'm loaning my services to PC as producer until I can process the new trainees.  You'd think I knew what I was doing by now, but as it turns out..  when you reuse a session in Audition, you have to watch it when you insert a longer narration than you had before since the software will bump whatever it runs into, moving bumpees down to new tracks in the multitracker, which may or may not be within the viewable area on your screen without you scrolling down to notice them.  Maybe the real lesson is:  don't stay up 'till 6am working on something like this.  Then you might actually remember to do a headcount of all the clips and realize there's one missing at the end -- like sewing up your patient and then thinking, "Say, where'd my scalpel go?"

Anyway, sorry about that.

Tim Tylor

• Palmer
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 01:05:20 AM
I can't help thinking how much Jabey had in common with the protagonist of "Nine Sundays In A Row". They ended up making pretty much the same choice - staying with an abusive monster because it was their only option for helping someone they'd come to care about. And what haunts me is how wretchedly alone they both were - no friends, no allies, nobody on their side except themselves. No fun being Frodo if you don't even have a Sam.  :(
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:07:20 AM by Tim Tylor »

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 12:40:27 AM
I can't help thinking how much Jabey had in common with the protagonist of "Nine Sundays In A Row". They ended up making pretty much the same choice - staying with an abusive monster because it was their only option for helping someone they'd come to care about. And what haunts me is how wretchedly alone they both were - no friends, no allies, nobody on their side except themselves. No fun being Frodo if you don't even have a Sam.  :(

I thought their situations were rather different.  This guy's situation is probably marginally better by taking the new employer.  At least he's not being lashed and slave collared all the time.  So the choice that's better for him is also better for the girl, but in the other story it was the opposite.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 12:44:50 AM
Ooh, I'm in the comments!  That's a first for me.   ;D

Anyhoo, I really enjoyed this story.  I thought it wasn't really fantasy for a while, since a tinyman could just be a natural genetic trait until they got to the part explaining the extraction of growth.  The character was likable and I really felt for his dilemma--he had to choose between a crappy life and a REALLY crappy life, but in the end he at least was able to do what he could for the little girl, even though she won't remember him.  The way he was convinced to bring her along was done very well--he was forced to kidnap her lest she turn him in.  If he had just chosen to take her along on his own, it would've made him much harder to like.  And that simple act made his change in character that much more profound--in the beginning he's willing to put the girl's life at risk to save his own skin but in the end he would do any number of things to protect her.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 11:40:44 PM
Wow, never did I imagine that I might ever find myself yelling "STFU" at Ann Leckie.  But that's precisely what I did this afternoon while listening to this story. 

Ben, you owe Ann an apology.  ;D

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 12:08:46 AM
So, I take it you were into the story?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 01:37:18 AM
Kind of, but mainly it's that the outro was about 3x the volume of the narration, so it was impossible to hear the story during that bit.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 04:27:59 PM
You know you can redownload the corrected version, right?

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 06:26:22 PM
This was AMAZING! I enjoyed this, and while it might be a bit complicated for the younger of my daughters, my elder kiddo will love it. Seeing why people would want to leave fairie.. goodgood.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 07:39:30 PM
Reminded me somewhat of China Mieville's 'Un Lun Don' but I have to admit, I wasn't really that into it until about thirty minutes in when you start to think that surely the little girl isn't going to be let go so easily.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 02:09:30 PM
I didn't really like this story because there wasn't anything new about it. It was, to my mind, a fractured fairy tale from the POV of the mythical creature, and it didn't cover any new ground, especially when Jabey suddenly decided he wanted to save Caroline from Sloan. I totally understand his motivations, but the story just didn't do anything new and, overall, it was too long for me to overlook that.

The reader was AWESOME... but not for this story. I think this would've been better for someone a little more tenor, or someone with a non-US/Canada accent. Or maybe use this guy as the narrator and have someone else play Jabey -- his voice just didn't work as Jabey's voice for me.

So, y'know, a good enough story, but not one that I liked.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 05:40:49 PM
Gotta say, I grew a little bored listening to this. It was okay, I guess, but it didn't really stand out to me.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

Sola

• Extern
Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 08:02:17 AM
I'm really suprised this story hasn't gotten more love; I thought it was wonderful, and it isn't even usuallly my kind of story. It was full of bright little gleams and did such a good job of expressing a child's-eye view of danger and wonder that I was really quite charmed.