Author Topic: Escape Pod editorial change  (Read 6126 times)

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
on: November 20, 2009, 04:59:04 AM
Well, I got a resignation letter from one Mr. Jeremiah Tolbert today, chief editor of Escape Pod.  I spent a while on the phone with him, but I don't think I'm going to talk him out of it.  It turns out that not every talented editor loves spending 30 hours a month slaving away for pocket change.  Who knew?

He'll stay on for a bit while we look for someone else.  I'll let you know if anything solid develops on that front.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 05:09:32 AM
 :-[

I was loving the stories he was running so much!

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 06:33:37 AM
Ditto on the  :(

I am sad to see you go, Jeremiah.  You kept the gears ticking and brought consistancy and continued quality to the cast in a time of great need.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 07:20:14 AM
NoooooOOOoooooooo!  Tis a sad sad day. :(

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 07:35:58 AM
I don't know much about Editing and the Editors for Escape Artists but anytime a member of Escape Artists leaves it's sad.  Thank you for your hard work Jeremiah.  Best of luck in your future undertakings.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 08:00:04 AM
Jeremy does great work.  I'll be really sorry to see him go.

goatkeeper

Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 10:11:09 AM
It turns out that not every talented editor loves spending 30 hours a month slaving away for pocket change.  Who knew?

Not sure about resignation details but I have a hunch.

Content providers (ground-up/web types-- not Sony BMG) are often OK with pocket change as long as they feel that what they are doing, with all of its sacrifices, has a meaningful, positive impact on their audiences. 
Even though I personally think 9 of the last 10 EP stories were great purchase decisions (better ratio than any other fiction mag I've ever loved) I can empathize with JT's desire to resign just based on the feedback in these forums.   

If forum feedback were only vociferation of 1% EP's audience it'd still be the main representation of "audience." 
Reading through comments you can see how the love might get drained quickly from someone who's just pretty much working for the love.

Thing is, so many other things factor in that aren't JT.  A Hugo winning story can be lessened by a crappy reader.  A Hugo winning story can be lessened by a great reader with a crappy sound set-up.  A Hugo winning story can be lessened by a great reader with a great sound set-up...but with a really crappy co-host *gulp.*

Personally, I've been highly impressed with the good work Jeremiah has done in such a short period.  He's been juggling a lot of "not-the-editor's job" balls behind the scenes. 

While I doubt that this thread will keep him in the fold, I hope that it at least serves as a means for those of us who haven't said so enough in the past to now tell him how very much we appreciated his hard, excellent work.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 12:09:08 PM
That's sad news, but I'm sure he has his reasons.  I think I can speak for everyone when I say that we have enjoyed Mr. Tolbert's time as editor at EP, and that his work was and is much appreciated.

eytanz

Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 12:14:29 PM
I am very sad to hear this. Jeremiah's story selection was great; it is a testament to how well he did his job that A - I have no idea when the stories he selected started appearing, as opposed to Steve, yet B - I think the average story quality has been outstanding, more so than in any other period in EP's history.

However, I am sure that this was not a decision taken lightly and that the reasons are sound. Jeremiah is not a participant in the forums so I don't feel like I know him, but I wish him all the best in future endeavours. And I don't envy Ben the task of finding a replacement who can fill in those shoes.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 02:52:10 PM
Sorry to hear. Thanks for everything youve done, Mr. Tolbert.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 03:58:26 PM
I have no idea when the stories he selected started appearing, as opposed to Steve, yet B - I think the average story quality has been outstanding, more so than in any other period in EP's history.

I recently finished going through the back catalog and can now say that I've heard every single Escape Pod story. Out of all of them, there were only 2 or 3 that I didn't like (that's purely on story quality, since I don't seem to be much affected by sound quality, reader, and host) .

Those are *really* amazing statistics, no matter how you slice it.

Thank you very much Mr. Tolbert for your part in that.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 07:05:53 PM
I'm sorry to hear that!  I haven't quite made it over to Escape Pod (I'm saving the biggest of the three 'casts for last), but I've heard good things about Mr. Tolbert's selections, and have enjoyed his writing that I've heard on Podcastle.

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 05:48:31 PM
I also want to express my sadness at the fact that Jeremy will be leaving Escape Pod.  I have LOVED his story selections, but I have also loved dealing with him as a slush reader.  He is kind, professional and really smart.   I learned tons from watching him deal with authors and choose stories.

Going to miss you, JT!

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!