Author Topic: PC079: Marsh Gods  (Read 15093 times)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 02:21:30 PM
The reading grated on me for its nasally quality in the beginning, until the story picked up steam.

I felt the Crane God had to do a little too much infodump in his first appearance.

This was a classic outsmarting-the-gods story, which is enjoyable, and I did like how Eris-god managed to lie, and how Vaud figured it all out. But it also suffered from a classic fiction trope: the right place at the right time (Vaud happening to overhear the antagonist talking to his private god).

I liked this one better than The Nalendar.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

mbrennan

• Matross
Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 05:38:00 AM
Like the previous Listener, I wasn't too wild about the narration at first, but a) it improved b) I adjusted or c) the story ended up being cool enough that I stopped noticing.

I enjoyed "The Nalendar," and liked this one even better.  The bargaining over questions, the laying of groundwork so as to seem to lie -- watching the characters work within the strictures that confine them is always fun when done well, and this was done well.  More, please!

Hobart Floyt

• Extern
Reply #27 on: December 25, 2009, 12:55:25 AM
Um...

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
  In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away—
  For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.

ckastens

• Extern
Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 01:49:52 AM
Another fantastic story! I really enjoyed the mythology of this one, the "old gods" and the "new gods" and their intertwining around the lives of one family.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 06:14:49 PM
I require Ann Leckie to publish a book so that I may buy a copy.  Who do I have to blow or blackmail to make that happen?

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Poppydragon

• Peltast
Reply #30 on: January 20, 2010, 09:10:34 PM
I require Ann Leckie to publish a book so that I may buy a copy.  Who do I have to blow or blackmail to make that happen?

I second this and will happily provide the cut up newspaper for the blackmail notes  ;D

Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments - owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #31 on: September 17, 2014, 08:08:29 PM
While I enjoyed The Nalendar, this one really expanded the cosmology and made the gods seem quite different from any tradition I'm familiar with. With the Crane, not-Irris, and the Beak we get three very different representations.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”