Author Topic: Can you help me identify this story?  (Read 2656 times)

MacBean

• Palmer
on: December 13, 2009, 10:49:48 AM
I'm part of a question and answer site called Fluther, and this morning a sci-fi question came up that I couldn't answer. Here's the details of the person's query:

Many years ago…....... I read a sci fi story, It may have been just a short story, it may have been a novel. I dont remember the Author ot title but the story went like this…....
A guy (in the future) lived in a one roomed apartment, furniture slid in and out the walls etc, and he got a “Full Wall” TV set, the TV started to take over his life and he got another “Full Wall” set. As I remember it he ended up with all 4 walls as TV’s, his wife left, he went crazy…...........
Now here’s the thing, I would love to re-read this story, but cant find it, who wrote it etc. Does it ring a bell for anyone?

It does ring a bell for me but I can't come up with a title or an author to save my life. I thought maybe someone around here might be able to help. Anyone?

~Bean

Mr Morden

• Extern
  • What do you want?
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 03:25:23 PM
It sounds to me like it might have been inspired by Bradbuyr's Fahrenheit 451.  I do not know if that will help you with your search or not.

I'm just a ... Shadow ... of my former self.

Poppydragon

• Peltast
Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 10:50:30 PM
It's got the feel of a Philip K Dick short as well, I remember one of his that was entirely set within a one room apartment but can't be sure it fits this exactly

Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments - owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 01:37:21 AM
It sounds to me like it might have been inspired by Bradbuyr's Fahrenheit 451.
It brings to mind Bradbury's The Veldt too, which makes me think it might be yet another Bradbury story.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")