Author Topic: Pseudopod and EA, thank you.  (Read 4332 times)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
on: December 21, 2009, 07:35:56 AM
OK, fair warning. I tend to the maudlin/fanboi/whatever so if this sounds twee, well, it's heartfelt.

In thinking back over this year (which for me was pretty crappy in many ways) one bright spot is Pseudopod. I started listening as a result of Wil Wheaton's recommendation and have never looked back.

I think the first I heard was 73 (Blood, Gridlock and Pez) which was good enough to keep me going. Next was 94 (The Skull-Faced Boy) which was interesting but unremarkable. Then came 97 (Mrs Branson Calling) which was pleasntly chilling. Then came a succession: 99 (Photo Finish) was great; 100 (The Music of Eric Zahn) -- how could a Lovecraft not be good??; 104 (The Book In The Earth) had a wonderful mix of strangeness, secrecy and creeps; 106 (Jihad Over Innsmouth) is probably the one that completely hooked me, without even knowing it was some kind of Lovecraft tribute.

I could go on but suffice it to say, Pseudopod is one of my weekly joys and has genuinely brought me happiness this year through its wonderful format (quick intro, thoughtful outro); through its always awesome staff; through its careful choice of both stories and readers; through its tagline "I have a story for you and I promise you -- it's true." -- which always gives me a shiver.

I love the whole EA premise and I listen to all the 'casts, but Pseduopod, you are the jewel in the crown (for me anyway). Ben, Al and everyone involved with PP and EA: a big heartfelt THANK YOU.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 01:22:57 AM
Hear, hear!

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 06:50:07 PM
Thanks folks.  That warms the black cockles of my heart.  :) 

Kevin David Anderson

• Palmer
  • "He's Undead, Jim"
    • Kevin David Anderson
Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 10:28:14 PM
I'm interested in this Wil Wheaton recommendation.  Did he post in a blog, or mention PP in an interview? 

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 11:11:01 PM
There's a link to his review here, I believe. I also think he's mentioned Escape Pod since then.