Author Topic: EP230: Candy Art  (Read 17452 times)

Kate_Baker

• Extern
    • Clarkesworld Magazine
Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 03:49:44 AM
Stories like these are good for Kate Baker, because she can act the world-weary/downtrodden part quite well.

Awww, Listener! That's gotta be the nicest thing you've ever said about me! ;)

Thanks to everyone who liked the narration. This was one of the fun ones to read. I love JPK. ;)

Kate Baker
Podcast Director
Clarkesworld Magazine Podcasts

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 04:15:33 PM
Stories like these are good for Kate Baker, because she can act the world-weary/downtrodden part quite well.

Not QUITE sure how to take that. *g*

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 04:21:07 PM

Not QUITE sure how to take that. *g*

That's probably how she felt as well  :) 

(yes, I resisted the urge to start with "That's what she said", but I can't resist the urge to add it parenthetically)

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Subgenre

Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 03:06:59 AM
I like the world presented in this story because it's a nice contrast to the respectable, orderly gerontocracy of the book "Holy Fire". The idea that the immortal baby-boomers (or their future equivalent) would be seen as irresponsible and selfish rather than overbearingly interested in stability is an interesting take grounded in human behavior.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 02:52:14 AM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!
Okay so I really hated Mel for most of the story...
and the "but I didn't" was realistic, but a bit repetitive, but okay by me overall.  I found myself saying it along with Kate. (awesome narration BTW).

And the end.  AwwwwwwwwwwwwwwWWWW!!! :)
Cute cute cute cute.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #30 on: January 12, 2010, 07:25:32 PM
Nice story.  The "But I didn't" got a little old, but was worth it for the payoff at the end to complete the sappy ending.  The cool technology kept me interested when the moping got a little too thick.  Especially her timeshare parents--great idea!  And the fact that her parents will apparently always continue to exist is somehow both encouraging and depressing.  When that becomes possible, the circle of life is disrupted in a very strange way.  On the one hand, who DOESN'T want to live longer, but this way is rather parasitic, continuing to demand more and more of your children and never allowing them to really live their own lives.

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #31 on: January 14, 2010, 03:45:46 PM
This struck all the wrong chords with me.  I didn't like the MC or her attitude, didn't like Mel, didn't like her parents, didn't like "Midwest Vocal" guy, didn't really see the point of having the living doll thing in there for her parents at all, other than to make it more SFy,(yes, I understand that it was used to bring her parents back into her life, and the complexities thereof, but this could have been done with living people) and honestly could not bring myself to give one whit about anyone or anything in the story, other than the neat candy.  Let me be clear here, this was a well written story, but just resonated with me in all the wrong ways. 

I'd also like to find this one in print, and see if it works any better for me, not for lack of understanding, but because there's just something about most Kathryn Baker readings that frustrate/aggravate me.  I just think she gets all the stories with bitter, negative, passive agressive female MCs.  Its probably a testament to her abilities that she can read them so well that they get under my skin so much. 

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #32 on: January 14, 2010, 03:50:06 PM
If you're not already, go check out the Clarkesworld podcast.  I'm a fan of Kate's readings at the best of times but her work on the last four episodes over there is to my mind exceptional.

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #33 on: January 14, 2010, 03:52:32 PM
If you're not already, go check out the Clarkesworld podcast.  I'm a fan of Kate's readings at the best of times but her work on the last four episodes over there is to my mind exceptional.

I will go do that.  I really enjoyed her in Pirate Solutions, so I'm pretty sure its not her, but the characters I dislike.

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #34 on: January 14, 2010, 09:17:21 PM

Ditto this.

yicheng

• Matross
Reply #35 on: January 22, 2010, 05:10:51 PM
I was a big annoyed by the story, but in the end I loved it.  I liked the human-ness of all the characters, even the robot parents.