Author Topic: But Wait...There's More  (Read 19576 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: January 01, 2010, 10:26:19 PM
Well, up until now I haven't had much to update.  I have been writing for a while now, but in 2009 I did tried to make it more of a concerted effort and get more serious about it.  Well, it did bear some fruit.

Today, the first of 2010, my story "Eyes of Redemption" is up at the Residential Aliens online zine.  This inspires me to keep writing, and trying to improve.

Residential Aliens is "devoted to quality speculative fiction with a spiritual foundation", not religious in nature, but features "engaging stories that are truthful to the human experience while offering the reader something of the eternal".

Now, I'm working an a new unamed story involving Heimdall, of Norse mythology. I also have a couple stories that I need to revise.  Also I am trying to write a story once a week on my blog, though they are usually pretty short.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 01:10:14 AM
Haven't read the story yet, but I still want to offer my congratulations.  Way to ring in the new year!

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 04:18:12 AM
Congratulations!  It's nice to sell something, isn't it?

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 05:24:31 PM
Haven't read the story yet, but I still want to offer my congratulations.  Way to ring in the new year!

Thank you.

Congratulations!  It's nice to sell something, isn't it?

Yes it is!  I just have to keep it up.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 07:48:50 PM
Congratulations, sir!

I'm looking forward to reading it :)

nevermore_66

• Palmer
    • My Blog
Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 08:10:21 PM
I'd like to try a story a week pace in the near future.

Ray Bradbury suggests it as a good regimen for tightening the writing. I was watching a video of a talk he gave to some college students, and he said something to the effect of:

"Write a story a week, every week, for a year. I don't care who you are or what your skill level is--I defy you, DEFY you to write 52 bad stories!"

"There is no exquisite beauty…without some strangeness in the proportion."
~Edgar Allan Poe, "Ligeia"

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 08:57:08 PM
I don't recall if it's a story a week or something else, but this kind of persistence has worked really well for Jay Lake. His bibliography is staggering.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 12:39:03 AM
My weekly stories are mostly a "just write something" challenge at this point.  Sometimes it's 1000 word or more; sometimes it's only 100 characters, or somewhere in between.  It's a habit and deadline thing for me.  I know I need to up the quality and effort to improve.  It varies week to week.  But at a minimum I'm getting ideas out on paper (or on a server).

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 04:49:48 PM
"Misfit", a story I wrote in December, was read by J.E. Ignatius McNeil on the new Dribblecast podcast.  J.E. did a fantastic job with the reading and characters!  What fun to hear the story read so wonderfully.  Check it out here.  Sample some of the other stories as well.  It's a lot of fun.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 04:34:32 AM
"Misfit", a story I wrote in December, was read by J.E. Ignatius McNeil on the new Dribblecast podcast.  J.E. did a fantastic job with the reading and characters!  What fun to hear the story read so wonderfully.  Check it out here.  Sample some of the other stories as well.  It's a lot of fun.

Thanks Swamp. That was Fun! I really, really loved the concept. I always thought the Island of Misfit Toys was underutilized.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 12:17:24 PM
Thanks Swamp. That was Fun! I really, really loved the concept.

I'm glad you liked it.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 07:41:57 PM
I have been having some fun recording stories for the Dribblecast, the fan cast offshoot from Norm Sherman's Drabblecast.  I have had a lot of fun doing these.  Here are some links some of the stories I have recorded (they are short):

Hunger On Certain Streets
Time Freeze
Same As it Ever Was
The Last True Robot
Bang
Makes us Dumber
The Adventures of Captain McClain, part 2
Opening Dante's Inferno

and others...

And there are plenty of other good stories read by other fine folks.  It's fun and anybody can do it.  A suggested tagline by one of the readers is: "We don't care if you sound like an idiot."
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 04:52:22 PM by Swamp »

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 11:33:51 PM
Since I have kind of fallen in love with narration of stories lately, I have decided to start doing my own readings on a sporadic basis.  I even started a new Posterous website, Swamp Stories, as a place to keep them.  It is by no means a podcast as most of the additions so far are reposts of what I have already done for the Dribblecast.

Today, however, I posted my reading of "The Premature Burial" by Edgar Allan Poe.  I did it just for fun, and because I really enjoy Poe, especially this time of year.  You can listen to it here if you like.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 10:12:24 PM
Aw, cool. Looking forward to hearing the Poe story!

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 01:43:42 PM
It's been a while since I posted here.  I even got the threadromancy warning.  :D

Well, it's official.  I have formally thrown my hat into the podcasting ring by posting the first episode of the "Journey Into..." podcast.

Journey Into... will feature replays of old time radio (OTR) shows like X Minus One, Suspense, Lights Out, etc.  And, once a month (hopefully), it will also feature full cast readings of new and classic stories, as well as new flash fiction.  

This first one is an OTR from the sci-fi anthology show X-Minus One, with a story writtien by Ray Bradbury.  It will be folowed up next week by an original story, Cyberpunk by D.K. Thompson (DKT), done up in full audio production.  Future journeys include other stories by great authors like Tim Pratt, David Barr Kirtley, and Greg van Eekhout.  There will also be some classic speculative stories from people like E.M. Forster and Edgar Alllan Poe.

Anyway, check it out and hopefully you'll stick around for many journeys to come.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 03:08:08 PM by Swamp »

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 10:06:44 AM
That was a fun story, though the multi-layered intros got a little confusing.  (That is, we heard "Zero Hour" on "X Minus 1" on "Journey Into...")

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 03:02:00 PM
OK, I promise not to spam the forums with weekly updates on my new podcast, but it is worth noting that the episode airing today was written by Podcastle's very own Dave Thompson.  Not only that, but he also provides the voice for the main character, Cyberpunk.  Go check it out here.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #17 on: July 09, 2011, 06:45:31 AM
OK, I promise not to spam the forums with weekly updates on my new podcast, but it is worth noting that the episode airing today was written by Podcastle's very own Dave Thompson.  Not only that, but he also provides the voice for the main character, Cyberpunk.  Go check it out here.

That's cool if you do. It mean I can spam with mine when it starts soon ;-)

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 07:00:47 PM
That was a fun story, though the multi-layered intros got a little confusing.  (That is, we heard "Zero Hour" on "X Minus 1" on "Journey Into...")

Yeah it does kind of have that Inception "going deeper" thing going on, but I'd hate to skip over the intros to the shows that I am showcasing.  It just didn't seem right.  Hopefully the them music will help make that distiction.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 03:43:22 PM
The latest Journey Into... featuring "When The Black Bird Circles Back" by Greg van Eekhout.  I bring it up here for two reasons 1) it's by Greg van Eekhout who has been featured many times here at the Escape Artists' podcasts, and 2) it contains several voices of EA personallities including Norm Sherman, Graeme Dunlop, and cameos by Dave Thompson and Nathaniel Lee. Check it out.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 03:47:05 PM by Swamp »

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 02:44:34 PM
I totally dominated with my amazing reading.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 03:52:35 PM
I was totally pwnd.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #22 on: September 21, 2012, 10:36:46 PM
I just wanted to announce the new Edgar Allan Poe writing contest going on at the Journey Into... podcast.  I figured it was safe to post now since voting has now begun on the Flash III contest going on here in the EA forums (and I asked Eytanz just to be sure).

The contest is based around the works of Edgar Allan Poe.  The basic premise is that you pick a title from one of his stories or poems and write a story in 2500 words or less.  You can check out the Journey Into... Forums for the submission guidelines.  I hope you all will want to participate.  It should be fun!

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 06:16:51 PM
One more reminder:  Submissions are now open for the Edgar Allan Poe Writting Contest.  Submission guidelines can be found HERE.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 06:03:56 PM
First of all, finish your stories for the Podcastle Flash Contest before you read this announcement!

Finished?  OK.

Submissions have now also opened for the 2013 Edgar Allan Poe Writing Contest over at the Journey Into... podcast.  Same structure as last year, only I am not able to give cash prizes this year.  Bummer, I know.

Find out more details here:

http://journeyinto.freeforums.org/2013-edgar-allan-poe-contest-t90.html

BUT ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE SUBMITTTED TO THE PODCASTLE FLASH CONTEST.