Author Topic: Diabolical Plots' "The Best of Podcastle"  (Read 10084 times)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
on: January 04, 2010, 12:19:07 PM
http://www.diabolicalplots.com/?p=990

I wrote up a post of The Best of Podcastle where I listed my top ten favorite episodes (and some honorable mentions).  Check it out.  Agree?  Disagree?  You can always post your own list.  :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 02:23:39 PM by Unblinking »

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 01:44:14 PM
Aside from "Fourteen Experiments...", none of your selections really left me cold, but off the top of my head, I would have to mention:
Hotel Astarte: Really gorgeous language and wonderful imagery, plus a moving story.
Moon Viewing at Shijo Bridge: The first Giant, and again, just a gorgeous story driven by a really interesting main character.
The Osteomancer's Son: Modern/Dark fantasy.  Great piece about relationships, plus really cool magic.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 05:13:02 PM
OK, now I'm going to have to come up with my own top ten list for PC.  Does this mean you are moving over to tackle EP now?  Looking forward to it.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 06:27:29 PM
OK, now I'm going to have to come up with my own top ten list for PC.  Does this mean you are moving over to tackle EP now?  Looking forward to it.

Yep, I've been listening to Escape Pod episodes since Christmas or so, and I plan to make a list once I'm finished.  It'll be a while though--probably April or May 2010.  And since I have so many choices, the top ten for that is going to be HARD!  I've listened to about a dozen of the stories already and they are almost all out-of-the-park amazing, so picking a mere 10 of them is going to be very very difficult. 

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 07:47:02 PM
Although at this point I wouldn't feel comfortable saying what my top ten favorite PodCastle episodes are, I will say that Colin and Ishmael in the Dark is one of the very few stories that literally terrified me while I was listening. It probably helps that I was listening while driving home on a darky and windy night, but still.

Oh! I got a shiver just thinking about it!

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 09:24:48 PM
Yeah, Colin & Ishmael in the Dark was frigging brilliant stuff. One of the relatively few stories I had a really visceral reaction to.

As a fellow Tim Pratt fan, let me point you towards Drabblecast episode 122, 'The Fallen and the Muse of the Street,' one of my mostest favoritestest T. Pratt stories evar. (He has a few others on there as well).

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 09:28:06 PM
As a fellow Tim Pratt fan, let me point you towards Drabblecast episode 122, 'The Fallen and the Muse of the Street,' one of my mostest favoritestest T. Pratt stories evar. (He has a few others on there as well).

I'll have to check it out.  Thanks for the tip!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 09:44:05 PM
Oooooooooooooooooooo, Talia's reminded me that "Annabelle's Alphabet" (also by Pratt, also at the Drabblecast) is incredibly haunting, particularly with the production Norm Sherman gives it. Highly recommend that, Unblinking, even though I know you've got your ears full listenig to EP right now.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 09:46:11 PM
Oooooooooooooooooooo, Talia's reminded me that "Annabelle's Alphabet" (also by Pratt, also at the Drabblecast) is incredibly haunting, particularly with the production Norm Sherman gives it. Highly recommend that, Unblinking, even though I know you've got your ears full listenig to EP right now.

I'll definitely have to put Drabblecast on my to-listen list.  When I catch up on all the Escape Artists 'casts, I will be very sad and will want to fill the void with something.  :)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 05:13:38 AM
Here is my top ten list:

1: Come Lady Death by Peter S. Beagle
2: The Cambist and Lord Iron by Daniel Abraham
3: The Grand Cheat by Hilary Moon Murphy
4: The Nalendar by Anne Leckie
5: Daughter of Botu by Eugie Foster
6: The Fiddler of Bayou Teche by Delia Sherman
7: The Twa Corbies by Marie Brennan
8: Honest Man by Naomi Kritzer
9: Cup and Table by Tim Pratt
10: The Osteomancer’s Son by Greg van Eekhout

Honorable Mention: Castor On Troubled Waters by Rhys Hughes, The Olverung by Stephen Woodworth, Anywhere There’s a Game by Greg van Eekhout, and Restless In My Hand by Tim Pratt

In some ways , I was surprized by the oreder in which these ended up, but once compiling the list this is how they fell out.

And since everyone is weighing in on favorite Pratt stories, mine has always been "Dream Engine".  It is a story of Wisp, a non-coporeal entity, and Howlaa, a shapeshift, who unwillingly work for the Regent.  The setting is a city at the nexus of several universes and the Regent takes things that he wants from the nearby realities.  Things get bad when dreams begin to run loose in the city; and Wisp and Howlaa are sent to clean it up.  I first read it way back in issue #3 of Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show, but it is also included in Pratt's collection of stories, Hart & Boot & Other Stories.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:22:17 AM by Swamp »

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 03:35:16 PM
http://www.diabolicalplots.com/?p=990

I wrote up a post of The Best of Podcastle where I listed my top ten favorite episodes (and some honorable mentions).  Check it out.  Agree?  Disagree?  You can always post your own list.  :)

In the same way that your list is heavy on Tim Pratt, mine would have Eugie Foster disproportionately represented.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 04:25:12 AM
In the same way that your list is heavy on Tim Pratt, mine would have Eugie Foster disproportionately represented.

Well, duh!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 04:48:02 PM
My top eight, in no particular order:

The Tanuki-Kettle - Eugie Foster
Fourteen Experiments in Postal Delivery - John Schoffstall
Moon Viewing at Shijo Bridge - Richard Parks
The Nalendar - Ann Leckie
On the Banks of the River of Heaven - Richard Parks
Daughter of Botu - Eugie Foster
Marsh Gods - Ann Leckie
When Shakko Did Not Lie - Eugie Foster

Picked out those eight above, looking through the list of all episodes, then had to go through again to pick out two more for a top ten.  But so few left a lasting impression (and fewer still a positive one) that I ended up picking:

The Grand Cheat - HMM
Run of the Fiery Horse - HMM

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Ductwouth

Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 05:43:49 PM
Of course John, now comes the tricky part, breaking the "rules" deliberately, oh yeah, and making it work.

Best,

George

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 02:24:20 PM
The Best of Podcastle 2010-, includes everything after my last list, up until the end of 2010

http://www.diabolicalplots.com/?p=1930

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 03:01:34 AM
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 01:54:40 PM by Unblinking »

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 01:31:25 PM
Best of Podcastle 2012

http://www.diabolicalplots.com/?p=2458

Is this because you can see into the future?

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 01:55:14 PM
Best of Podcastle 2012

http://www.diabolicalplots.com/?p=2458

Is this because you can see into the future?

I don't know what you're talking about!  (Thanks, changed the post to the proper year  :) )