Author Topic: The Things, by Peter Watts  (Read 5487 times)

Dave

• Peltast
    • I Can Bend Minds With My Spoon
on: January 07, 2010, 12:08:16 AM
You guys should totally buy and produce this story for EP or PP. But since I don't know how that all works, I'm just gonna post the link here and people can read it for themselves. It's really quite amazing, and anybody who enjoyed John Carpenter's The Thing should read it.

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

Actually... now that I think of it, did you guys publish this one already? It seems like I remember hearing it read by either Steve or Ben... but that could be my imagination, I often hear one of your regular narrators in my head while reading now...

-Dave (aka Nev the Deranged)

Kate_Baker

• Extern
    • Clarkesworld Magazine
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 03:07:49 AM
Hey Dave,

There is already an audio podcast download of the story on the Clarkesworld Magazine page. (Read by me) I'd encourage you if you liked reading it, to head over here and hear it for yourselves as well!

It truly is an amazing story!

Kate Baker
Podcast Director
Clarkesworld Magazine Podcasts

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 03:29:16 PM
You guys should totally buy and produce this story for EP or PP. But since I don't know how that all works, I'm just gonna post the link here and people can read it for themselves. It's really quite amazing, and anybody who enjoyed John Carpenter's The Thing should read it.

What if one liked the Campbell story "Who Goes There?" and/or the 1951 film, but not Carpenter's film?  ;)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

schmetterling

Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 12:15:28 PM
It's really quite amazing, and anybody who enjoyed John Carpenter's The Thing should read it.

I could not watch much more than a little bit of the movie, but I decided to read this anyway, being ready to stop the minute it became too much for me.  I finished it, and loved it, and now I'm torn.  I want to watch the movie with this in mind, but I know I can't handle it.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 04:37:10 PM

What if one liked the Campbell story "Who Goes There?" and/or the 1951 film, but not Carpenter's film?  ;)

Huh. I didn't realize until now that both movies were based on a short story. Will have to check that out. Thanks, stePH!

The story follows the Carpenter film pretty closesly, IIRC. Wikipedia says the Carpenter film is more faithful to the story than the 1951 film, but YMMV.

Dave

• Peltast
Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 02:19:23 AM
Hey Dave,

There is already an audio podcast download of the story on the Clarkesworld Magazine page. (Read by me) I'd encourage you if you liked reading it, to head over here and hear it for yourselves as well!

It truly is an amazing story!

Sweeeeet! I'm totally gonna go plug that on my facebook now ^_^ Thanks for the tip!

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 06:49:14 AM
I listened to the podcast and loved it.  I haven't seen any of the films or read the original short story, but I was able to follow it and thought it was great.

Edit: I also enjoyed Kate's reading of Night, in Dark Perception by Richard Parks on the Clarkesworld podcast.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 08:05:12 AM by Swamp »

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Dave

• Peltast
Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 01:11:07 AM
You did a great job reading this one, Kate! I have added Clarke's World to my regular diet of 'casts ^_^ Thanks for the tip! Can't wait to hear you read some Richard Parks, he's one of my favorites.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 03:48:54 AM
I also enjoyed Kate's reading of Night, in Dark Perception by Richard Parks on the Clarkesworld podcast.

Yeah, that was a fantastic story. I loved it.