Author Topic: Best Pseudopod Story of 2006  (Read 12299 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Re: Best Pseudopod Story of 2006
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2007, 05:18:07 PM »
If we were voting only on the best job at reading, then I think Regis St. George would win hands down.

I have to disagree.  "Bag Man" was a great story, but it was the telling that really made it.  And if you don't agree then I'm going to whisk your brains.  ;)

Ditto this. I thought Bag Man was awesome. But there was something about the way Ben read it (and the way he reads most of the stories) that just rocks. He does the neo-noir thing quite well (I'm also thinking of What Dead People are Supposed to Do and Medicinal). 

Regis St. George was good, but the way Mur read "Lisa Lisa Lisa" was so perfect -- I'm almost certain I wouldn't have enjoyed reading that story as much as I enjoyed to listening to it.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 10:51:06 AM »
If we were voting only on the best job at reading, then I think Regis St. George would win hands down.

I have to disagree.  "Bag Man" was a great story, but it was the telling that really made it.  And if you don't agree then I'm going to whisk your brains.  ;)

Ditto this. I thought Bag Man was awesome. But there was something about the way Ben read it (and the way he reads most of the stories) that just rocks. He does the neo-noir thing quite well (I'm also thinking of What Dead People are Supposed to Do and Medicinal). 

Regis St. George was good, but the way Mur read "Lisa Lisa Lisa" was so perfect -- I'm almost certain I wouldn't have enjoyed reading that story as much as I enjoyed to listening to it.

With you a hundred percent there.  Mur's delivery on 'Regis St George' nailed the humour behind the story for me, the idea that this demon was terrifying but, at the same time...a bit crap.  As a result, the horror and the eventual reveal both work really well.
   And Ben's reading on 'What Dead People Are Supposed To Do' is one of the reasons why it's a favourite:)  There's something incredibly sweet about the narrator in that story that Ben absolutely brings across.  I can't listen to '...SKY DIVING!' without cracking up even now.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 12:07:37 PM »
Or the stripper bit.  "And I'm pretty sure at least one of the dancers is a zombie, too."  God, that story makes me laugh. 

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 04:38:41 AM »
Oh I liked that bit too:)  I'm going to have go listen to the story again now.