Escape Artists
December 20, 2014, 08:04:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite character in SFF  (Read 3782 times)
gelee
Lochage

It's a missile, boy.

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 03:40:25 PM »

In print, Angus Thermopyle from Donaldson's "Gap" series.  Simultaneously despicable and pitiable.

Wow. That's a gutsy pick. I haven't read all those books (yet) but what I have read, I'm shocked by how Donaldson in general seems able to make pretty much everyone both despicable and pitiable, as you said. It truly is one incredibly messed up series of books (and I mean that as a compliment).
Keep reading.  Angus, and the books, keep getting better, right up until the end.  Probably the best collection of fiction Donaldson ever wrote.  Angus is able to evoke such a bizzare range of emotions from the reader, all while behaving consistantly according to the character he is.  He changes, but in ways that make sense.  I'm also fascinated by the idea that someone can be driven to superhuman feats of endurance, strength, and skill by nothing more than sheer terror. 
Mind you, I pick him as my favorite character to read about.  I sure as hell wouldn't want to meet him. 
Ocicat
Castle Watchcat

Anything for a Weird Life

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 03:55:34 PM »

Cheesy Oh, man. I'm still waiting for the next great Longshot story. I did like some of the X-Men stuff he was in, but yeah, I loved that miniseries to pieces.

I wonder if it'll ever happen...

Longshot is currently appearing in Peter David's X-Factor.  It's good stuff.  Based around Madrox's detective agency, it's managed to do superhero noir.  Longshot just joined the cast, it's not really clear how he'll fit in - but his always optimistic outlook seems to be providing a good foil for the cynical characters.  Well worth picking up.
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 04:19:46 PM »

Cheesy Oh, man. I'm still waiting for the next great Longshot story. I did like some of the X-Men stuff he was in, but yeah, I loved that miniseries to pieces.

I wonder if it'll ever happen...

Longshot is currently appearing in Peter David's X-Factor.  It's good stuff.  Based around Madrox's detective agency, it's managed to do superhero noir.  Longshot just joined the cast, it's not really clear how he'll fit in - but his always optimistic outlook seems to be providing a good foil for the cynical characters.  Well worth picking up.

Oh, wow. Thanks! I'll be on the lookout for it at my friendly neigborhood comic shop Smiley

Zorag
Matross

Well, kiss my...

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 10:14:50 PM »

My vote is for the "2nd tier" characters on B5.  Garribaldi, Londo, G'Kar, etc.

Honor Harrington is another favorite.

Come say hi over at the Beef Beer And Poker forum.
stePH
Actually has enough cowbell.
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010, 10:28:05 AM »

'Firefly' was the mostest bestest evar, and I will beat you with a wet noodle if you disagree. Wink

I disagree.  Bring it.  Kiss

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising
Bdoomed
Pseudopod Tiger

Mmm. Tiger.

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 12:25:27 PM »

I loathe pretty much everything Joss Whedon has ever done.

Does not compute.

'Firefly' was the mostest bestest evar, and I will beat you with a wet noodle if you disagree. Wink
Firefly was awesome.  However I think Cowboy Bebop did it better Tongue

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?
Musings and Ramblings
Zorag
Matross

Well, kiss my...

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 01:21:58 PM »

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Farscape was better than Firefly.  Given more time, Firefly probably would have ended up being better, but they didn't get their time, and they had to cram everything into a movie.

B5 is still tops in my book.

Talia

I like pie

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 03:59:33 PM »

*brings it*

I bet you're sorry now!!
stePH
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, 04:37:42 PM »

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Farscape was better than Firefly.  Given more time, Firefly probably would have ended up being better, but they didn't get their time, and they had to cram everything into a movie.

I agree with this psot.

Apparently Whedon needs a couple of years to really get his groove.  I've only started liking Dollhouse since about a month ago (couldn't really tell you why I kept at it the past couple of years... nothing better to do, I guess.)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 04:39:41 PM by stePH » Logged

Heradel
Bill Peters, EP Assistant
Hipparch

Part-Time Psychopomp.

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2010, 08:53:08 PM »

I agree with this psot.

Apparently Whedon needs a couple of years to really get his groove.  I've only started liking Dollhouse since about a month ago (couldn't really tell you why I kept at it the past couple of years... nothing better to do, I guess.)

For what we got of Firefly versus the first half of the first season of Farscape... Firefly wins (It may even win against the first half of the first season of B5). Attempting to compare the series to longer ones that were fleshed out and had plotlines driven through to their conclusions isn't useful.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.
Zorag
Matross

Well, kiss my...

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2010, 11:14:27 PM »

Comparing the first half season of B5 and Firefly isn't exactly a fair comparison, either.  B5 broke the mold, they were doing something new.  Straight up comparing the 2 in a vacuum, the first half season of Firefly is better.  But even I will admit that B5 Season 1 had some real stinkers.

stePH
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2010, 09:57:57 AM »

... I think Cowboy Bebop did it better Tongue

And first.

Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: