Author Topic: Best Horror Movie Ever Poll - Group 4 of 10  (Read 6412 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: January 15, 2010, 04:24:28 PM
I am starting this poll early, so I can't announce the officail winners from the last poll yet.

I think you will find this new list less obscure and I forsee a strong battle between some of these classics.  So come and vote.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 06:18:55 PM
Jacobs ladder was insanely creepy

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 06:57:15 PM
Jacobs ladder was insanely creepy

I need to watch that one sometime. In my large chunks of spare time I have lying around here somewhere...

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 07:11:09 PM
What, no "From Justin to Kelly"? What kind of poll IS this! :p

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 08:32:23 PM
The Omen.   This was one of the first movies I watched after we finally got cable TV in our little town.  Scared the crap out of me.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 04:22:35 AM
Had to go with:

JACOB'S LADDER - just watched it on New Year's Day and it still holds up!  (I still recommend the experimental viewing of this and HELLRAISER as flips sides of the same gnostic coin)

THE EXORCIST - because I'm an atheist and it's still one scary ass movie! The sound design is amazing and Mercedes McCambridge as the voice of Pazuzu is great, great, great - "a vulgar display of power...".

DAWN OF THE DEAD (original) - probably my all time favorite horror movie EVER, or at least in a rotating spot for top 3, this was my STAR WARS.  The remake, while better than expected, doesn't even come close.  "You can't have it.  We took it.  It's ours!"

LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH - an overlooked gem that used to play all the time on Saturday afternoons of my youth.  AS Kim Newman put it, "the love generation meets the living dead".  The last image is stirringly poignant.

Addendum - if there is the chance of a mop-up last category for overlookeds, I'd like to nominate MARTIN, which I probably forget to mention in the thread that started this.  The most thoroughly modern vampire movie ever made....
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 04:54:04 AM by Sgarre1 »

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 03:38:49 AM
Even though I think of The Exorcist as being the scariest in the list, I still picked Jacob's Ladder as the most enjoyable. Hard to say much more without spoilers.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 06:00:55 PM
There's my baby. *beams* The Exorcist... scariest movie I've personally ever seen... and like another poster, I'm a non-believer (though I lend toward Agnostic, rather than Atheism, most times) and it still freaks me the cluck out.

But I have to ask... WHY no love for IT? I mean, yeah... it's there in all its cheesy, 1980's glory, but there is no other Pennywise like Tim Curry. He may have been the only decent cast member (though John Ritter was okay... still not great) but this movie gets major brownie points from me just for that particular characterization. Timmy boy had Pennywise down pat, though no other actor in the movie deserves such props.

I finally got 700 monkeys. Now all I need is 700 typewriters and some way to live for 700 years...

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 06:05:03 PM
There's my baby. *beams* The Exorcist... scariest movie I've personally ever seen... and like another poster, I'm a non-believer (though I lend toward Agnostic, rather than Atheism, most times) and it still freaks me the cluck out.

But I have to ask... WHY no love for IT? I mean, yeah... it's there in all its cheesy, 1980's glory, but there is no other Pennywise like Tim Curry. He may have been the only decent cast member (though John Ritter was okay... still not great) but this movie gets major brownie points from me just for that particular characterization. Timmy boy had Pennywise down pat, though no other actor in the movie deserves such props.

I just couldn't get over how inferior the movie was to the book. Plus as I recall, the movie either extremely downplayed or eliminated the female character, who had a pretty important role in the book, and I found that irritating.

Now, the BOOK was one scary-arse, nightmare-inducing work of genius.

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 06:08:25 PM
Yeah... I mean, IT was crap compared to the book... a lot of King adaptations are. I mean... The Shining... *shudders* I actually wanted to sue for that happy-crappy. But, Pennywise was a dead-on cast role. Might have been the only decent part of the film, but they get major points for Tim Curry. They did do at least one thing right with him as ol' clown-face... which is more than I can say for what they did to The Shining.

I finally got 700 monkeys. Now all I need is 700 typewriters and some way to live for 700 years...

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 06:29:59 PM
Yeah... I mean, IT was crap compared to the book... a lot of King adaptations are. I mean... The Shining... *shudders* I actually wanted to sue for that happy-crappy. But, Pennywise was a dead-on cast role. Might have been the only decent part of the film, but they get major points for Tim Curry. They did do at least one thing right with him as ol' clown-face... which is more than I can say for what they did to The Shining.

Heh, you're the first person I've ever heard say anything bad about 'The Shining' the movie. Everyone else seems to think its awesome (or maybe they just love Jack Nicholson in it, i'm not sure).

But I haven't seen it for myself, so I can't really judge :P

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 06:36:26 PM
Well, I honestly think The Shining was one of the most convoluted pieces of crap made from a King book. Jack Nicholson is a good actor. He is. Scatman Cruthers... another good one for his time. But that film? Nope. It doesn't cut the butter with a glowing red-hot knife, for me (And I just posted about this in the 1st poll thread too... was surprised to see it take the top slot there). I just couldn't get over all the inconsistencies with the book... worse than IT by a long shot. Between the two, I would at least recognize IT as a King adaptation. With the exception of it happening at the Overlook and the scene in the bar and room 217, The Shining isn't even recognizable as the same story, to me.