Author Topic: Help Identify/Find A Particular Escapepod Story  (Read 4166 times)

Subgenre

on: January 29, 2010, 10:50:28 PM
I've had the pleasure of going through the entire Escapepod archives, but I have seemed to skip over a story that I think I remember hearing here before I was a regular listener. I can't remember the name and I didn't find anything that looked like it when I went through the archives.

The story was about an employee/habitant on some sort of space station or ship whose job it was to screen embryos for a genetic mutation that seems to be turning many of the habitants into monsters. There is one instance where another habitant begins mutating in the hall and walls come down around them and incinerate them, or something like that.

Does anyone have any idea of what story I'm looking for?

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 12:07:36 AM
The story was about an employee/habitant on some sort of space station or ship whose job it was to screen embryos for a genetic mutation that seems to be turning many of the habitants into monsters. There is one instance where another habitant begins mutating in the hall and walls come down around them and incinerate them, or something like that.

I am drawing a blank on an EP story matching that description.  But hey, what do I know.  I hadn't listened to "Exhalation" until yesterday.  I don't think I've missed very many though.  Could it have been a Pseudopod story?

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 12:09:53 AM
Hmmm I can't think of it either.  Do you remember around when you heard the story?  Like... a year ago, or longer/etc.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 12:51:07 AM
Spurling's Virus over at PP? Closest I can think of, though I haven't listened to everything either.

Subgenre

Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 01:38:25 AM
It could of been a Pseudopod story, but I've been going through their archive as well and haven't found anything like that. Spurling's Virus is not it, though it's what reminded me of listening to it.

It was before I had ever heard of StarshipSofa either and it was a single self-contained story so I don't think it was one of the podionovels that I've listened to...

I also think I remember there being a little bit of notice text talking about how the story in it's written form had gotten optioned as a film.

And I have a really poor judge of time so it could of been several years ago.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 01:41:11 AM by Subgenre »

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 02:27:53 AM
Hrm. Do you listen to Variant Frequencies? Matt Wallace's Delve was optioned as a film. It has some similar things going on in it...

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 02:55:12 AM
I'm almost positive that hasn't been on any of the 'pods...

Zorag

• Matross
  • Well, kiss my...
    • Beef Beer And Poker
Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 05:28:06 AM
I'm gonna look, but it sounds like a story I heard, something like Wormholes was the title.

Come say hi over at the Beef Beer And Poker forum.

Zorag

• Matross
  • Well, kiss my...
    • Beef Beer And Poker
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 05:29:12 AM
Wrong story.

Come say hi over at the Beef Beer And Poker forum.

Subgenre

Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 03:46:44 AM
Thanks to all of you!

Delve is the story I was thinking of, though now I'm wondering where I heard it. I distinctly remember it being voiced by a single narrator, not the cast used in that VF version. Plus I've never listened to Variant Frequencies before.

Anyways, thanks again.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 04:46:27 PM
Glad to be of help!

If you remember where you originally heard it, let me know :)