Author Topic: Pseudopod 178: The Tamga  (Read 8179 times)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Re: Pseudopod 178: The Tamga
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 03:14:53 PM »
I like that Pseudopod has a broad definition of horror.  The hero doesn't need to lose to make it horror.  This one would've been well-suited to either Pseudopod or Podcastle.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 05:41:08 PM »
I especially liked the fact that Peter was actually supportive of his uncle. This could have turned into a trite generational conflict story very easily.

YES! I kept waiting for this to happen - for the nephew to betray or overthrow his uncle. And I was pleasantly surprised it never happened, and that their relationship was such a strong and positive one.

eytanz

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010, 02:25:12 PM »
This was a good story, with good characters and world-building and a very effective control of its pacing. I did feel the sudden appearance of the rifle-bearing miner in the end did feel a bit out-of-place, an action-movie like plot device that felt out of place, and offered a relatively cheap exit out of the "Tamga demands a sacrifice" problem in the end.

I have to say, at the end of the story, my main thought was "of course these people are at the losing edge of the fight against the outside world, when their own spirits turn against them so easily".

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 01:58:57 AM »
I have to say, at the end of the story, my main thought was "of course these people are at the losing edge of the fight against the outside world, when their own spirits turn against them so easily".

That's an interesting observation. I had the feeling the spirits were always that hostile, hence the need for people like the MC and his nephew -- a constant vigilance against a possibly violent ally.

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2010, 10:25:39 PM »
The Ural mountains mentioned in the story are in the middle of Russia/Western Kazakhstan.  So it can't really be Scandinavian, but is almost certainly Russian or Kazakh.