Author Topic: PC088 / 631: Another End Of The Empire  (Read 20561 times)

the_true_morg

• Extern
Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 09:09:15 PM
i mentioned recently (on the drabblecast forum) how much i hated the Tim Pratt story Cassie.

This was the best Tim Pratt story i have heard. It was such a good way to tell a predestination story and knock it on its side. (I guessed how it would end but never knew for certain.) I felt that Evil Overlord's journey was worth following and it was because he was able to try something different. The bad guy is usually the most "fixed in their ways" character and in this case being different made him the best listenable character. Loved loved loved the story.

"My own Duschebaggary is a killing word. Will it be a healing word as well?"

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 09:22:41 PM
Very fun story, with some wonderful touches for color.  Yes, very predictable.  In fact, the moment the prophesy was uttered, I had some clue where it was going.  So... you'll be overthrown and your way of life overturned and you'll be turned out of the castle forever.  Doesn't sound so bad - this prophesy has a nice retirement plan.  He never mentioned heirs, so probably one of the kids becomes his heir and does things in a non-evil way and he gets a nice beach side villa. 

But despite that, the journey was great.  It's all in the details.

cdugger

• Peltast
  • I read to be smart...er.
Reply #27 on: January 30, 2010, 03:22:42 AM
Best. Podcastle. Ever. Period.

And I haven't even finished listening to all of them.

This may end up being my favorite podcast ever. Unless I sit down and look at a list, it will be.

The story was hilarious! So what if it was predictable! As I've said a thousand times (+1 now), they all are, for the most part. To quote above, "it's the journey"! It was great!

"Your father would." That line was so unexpected! I almost laughed out loud in the office.

And, the reading was the best I've heard on any podcast. It's now on my list of "people who's names I'm going to remember". On the list are Jim Dale, Frank Muller, Steve Anderson, Ben Phillips, and now Cheyenne Wright.

Anyone who has read many of my posts has come across my main requirement: Did I enjoy this? That's my first question. The answer is a resounding "YES!". It was probably the best experience I've had with any of the EA stories.

Not that I'm enthusiastic about it or anything...

I read, therefore I am...happy.

Gia

• Palmer
Reply #28 on: January 30, 2010, 05:11:25 AM
It took me a few days to get around to listening to this one and I regret not listening to my own sibyl when she told me to check it out right away. I am in a buoyantly happy state and likely to remain so for the next hour or more. I wish I could say what my favorite part was, but there was very little about this story that wasn't great.

My compliments to both the author and the narrator for a job well done.

Kanasta

• Peltast
Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 09:05:04 PM
I've nothing new to add to this one, but just wanted to say I also really enjoyed this; great story and narrator; despite being composed of stereotypes and the usual suspects of fantasy, the story had real depth and warmth. The evil overlord's voice brought to mind the comic book crush I had on Luiz Cannibal, the general from Halo Jones when I was 11... Wonderfully evil rumblings.

feste451

• Extern
Reply #30 on: February 02, 2010, 02:00:07 AM
Tim Pratt has consistently entertained me on every forum which he has appeared. This one is right up there with his best. The main plot was entertaining but one could see it coming from a mile away. The ultimate payoff for me was the completely unexpected twist in the end.

Well done, Mr. Pratt!

Entropy requires no maintenance.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #31 on: February 02, 2010, 03:44:20 PM
Another fantastic Podcastle Pratt story!  He is officially my hero in the short story world--no other author has managed to write stories that entertain me so consistently over so many stories.  Well done!

I did see the ending coming from the very beginning, but that didn't bother me at all.  Every moment in between was worth the journey.  I loved how he was so able to see the usual fantasy tropes and avoid them, even though it didn't prevent his "downfall" in the end, it made his "downfall" a rather pleasant experience.  To avoid his own death he ends up becoming a kind ruler.  As someone else said, it did seem a little convenient that the choices that made the people happy also were economically advantageous and best for the kingdom as a whole, but I only thought of that afterward.

And, as if the story itself wasn't enough, I was very thrilled to hear the Diabolical Plots mention in the outro, and after a Pratt story even!  Not that I'm biased on that subject or anything.  ;)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #32 on: February 02, 2010, 03:49:15 PM
Also, Cheyenne continues to be among my favorite narrators.

yicheng

• Matross
Reply #33 on: February 02, 2010, 10:03:23 PM
Instant classic, this one.  Cheyenne is probably my favorite Escape Artist reader right now.  The story was creative, entertaining, and had me giggling more than a few times, especially with Cheyenne's voicework (over the top, but rightly so, and in a wonderful way).  While I generally don't like predictable plot, this one had a feel of a fun amusement park ride where you just throw your head back and enjoy the ride.

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #34 on: February 02, 2010, 10:47:18 PM
I had my husband listen to this one and he pointed out that this would be great animated and aired on Adult Swim  :D  I'd love to see Lord Mogrash's teeth, carved into little skulls  ;D

WillMoo

• Palmer
Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 03:08:58 AM
Very predictable but HIGHLY entertaining. Great narration that I thought was going to be tedious at the beginning.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #36 on: February 08, 2010, 02:32:49 PM
Very predictable but HIGHLY entertaining. Great narration that I thought was going to be tedious at the beginning.

Yeah, that about sums it up for me, too. I was really worried this would turn into another "Sweet, Savage Sorcerer", but it was about 65,536 times better than that one, despite its predictability.

Also, I enjoyed the reading. I think Wright's readings are better suited to humorous tales, because he can do a dry narrator voice very well, and dryness is good for humor -- unlike the reading in "Beast's Life", which was dry but didn't work because of it.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

SirJolt

• Palmer
Reply #37 on: February 11, 2010, 07:01:46 PM
Absolutely loved it, late to the party, but was reading about how much more likely people are to give negative feedback than positive and felt compelled to come back.

The girlfriend is a lady of the Disney princess generation, so I passed this on to her and she looked like she'd die laughing. Totally commendable :)

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #38 on: February 14, 2010, 08:17:39 AM
A great story that helped dull the pain somewhat of being at work on a Saturday.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #39 on: February 14, 2010, 09:02:59 PM
And let me be one of the last to say -- wonderful!! What a virtuoso piece of entertainment! And, as always, Cheyenne Wright -- what a voice. Wonderful.

ckastens

• Extern
Reply #40 on: February 18, 2010, 01:54:11 AM
Another great story by Tim Pratt!  I love how he can take a fantasy cliché, poke fun at it, but at the same time write a serious, rich, satisfying story and not just stop at a simple parody.  He's done it time and again and this is just another great example.  Tim is a true artist and I'm glad to see his work appear frequently here.

Father Beast

• Lochage
Reply #41 on: February 20, 2010, 03:24:36 PM
I am very much in agreement with almost everyone here. I loved it, it is going on my "Best Of" list, and particularly liked how it poked at the fantasy tropes.

I was reminded all the way through of a book I read in the last few years, which I enjoyed as much as this story, simply because it poked hard at fantasy tropes. But I can't remember the title or author!! Can anyone help?

It had a little aside concerning a fledgling evil overlord who, upon conquering a kingdom's castle, ordered all the heirs killed. He was told that some heirs escaped. About 17 of them. 17 potential points of revolt. It seems that the previous queen was quite prolific with the babies, and when the castle was invaded, there were washerwomen with babies slipping out secret passages everywhere. What's a poor over worked evil overlord to do?

The main evil overlord had this massive castle with traps for the inevitable invading barbarians. they would climb onto the roof and see this sign which read something like, "Secret Entrance", next to a ladder. The Barbarians would generally climb down the ladder into an ambush.

At the last scene in the book, just as the boy and girl kiss, the great fortress explodes. One of them remarks to the other, "See? I told you that always happens."

I can't remember the title of this book for anything, though I'm certain I have it floating around the house somewhere....

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #42 on: February 22, 2010, 03:14:19 PM
I am very much in agreement with almost everyone here. I loved it, it is going on my "Best Of" list, and particularly liked how it poked at the fantasy tropes.

I was reminded all the way through of a book I read in the last few years, which I enjoyed as much as this story, simply because it poked hard at fantasy tropes. But I can't remember the title or author!! Can anyone help?

It had a little aside concerning a fledgling evil overlord who, upon conquering a kingdom's castle, ordered all the heirs killed. He was told that some heirs escaped. About 17 of them. 17 potential points of revolt. It seems that the previous queen was quite prolific with the babies, and when the castle was invaded, there were washerwomen with babies slipping out secret passages everywhere. What's a poor over worked evil overlord to do?

The main evil overlord had this massive castle with traps for the inevitable invading barbarians. they would climb onto the roof and see this sign which read something like, "Secret Entrance", next to a ladder. The Barbarians would generally climb down the ladder into an ambush.

At the last scene in the book, just as the boy and girl kiss, the great fortress explodes. One of them remarks to the other, "See? I told you that always happens."

I can't remember the title of this book for anything, though I'm certain I have it floating around the house somewhere....

It doesn't ring a bell, but if you figure out the title, please post it here--it sounds fun!

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #43 on: February 26, 2010, 05:26:48 PM
I read this story in Strange Horizons, so when it popped up in my playlist, I knew immediately what would happen. What stayed my hand from pushing the fast forward button was Wright's portrayal of Morgrash. Hilarious, fun, and instantly drew me in. This was a fun story, but Wright pushed it over the top with his narration and had me grinning all the way through. Well done!

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #44 on: February 26, 2010, 08:27:40 PM
I read this story in Strange Horizons, so when it popped up in my playlist, I knew immediately what would happen. What stayed my hand from pushing the fast forward button was Wright's portrayal of Morgrash. Hilarious, fun, and instantly drew me in. This was a fun story, but Wright pushed it over the top with his narration and had me grinning all the way through. Well done!

I agree, his reading was fabulous. Also, RE Mr. Wright, you may wish to have a look at this thread:

http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=3373.0

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #45 on: June 29, 2020, 08:45:16 PM
This episode was re-run as PodCastle 631: TALES FROM THE VAULTS — Another End of the Empire

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #46 on: July 01, 2020, 04:32:26 PM
One of my all time favorite episodes.