Author Topic: SF Novel poll: Playoffs week 5  (Read 4148 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: February 09, 2010, 09:56:41 AM
Last week, Ender's Game beat Well's classic War of the Worlds. We're now starting the second bracket, and we've got some heavy hitters right off the bat...

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 03:48:51 PM
Both Classics, never read Ringworld, and only attempted Dune via a horrible audiobook recording.  It makes most electronic readers sound emotional by comparison.  This thing was awful.  I gave up after about a Chapter, and have never attempted it again.  I know I should, just always forget/have something more interesting to me when starting a new book.  My point is I am abstaining

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 04:52:46 PM
Well, pretty clear winner so far.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 07:08:15 PM
I read Ringworld just recently and was amazed at how nothing happened! I mean sure, there was a cool world (Ringworld), an interesting interplanetary/interspecies civilization, and a cute concept (breeding for luck).... but still nothing interesting happened. It was quite disappointing.

Dune on the other hand, was rich in all the ways Ringworld wasn't. Epic story, epic quest, complex civilization/politics, and adventure!

This was an easy choice for me.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 07:15:29 PM
Yeah, I really liked Ringworld.  Dune, on the other hand, was mind-blowing.  Very reach, and always suggestive of a huge, dynamic setting, just off stage.

tpi

• Peltast
Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 08:46:12 AM
The one I am voting is going to lose again:-[

For some reason Dune was very much "meh" for me.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 09:54:26 PM
What an impossible choice! Both great books but for such different reasons.

You know what be interesting? Pitting authors against each other. Who'd you vote for in Herbert vs. Niven?

(You know what else would be interesting? Pitting authors against each other in a cage match. Although not so much in this case since Herbert's dead and all).

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 01:47:09 AM
(You know what else would be interesting? Pitting authors against each other in a cage match. Although not so much in this case since Herbert's dead and all).

Yaaaa... you seen Niven recently?  Not so sure I would bet on him anyway.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 02:41:04 AM
huge difference in the quality of the sequels too