Author Topic: SF Novel poll: Playoffs week 4  (Read 3225 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: February 01, 2010, 09:36:57 PM
Last week's poll is still running for a few hours, but I'm trying to make up for lost time and the conclusion seems significantly forgone - with 90% of precincts reporting, I'm ready to declare The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy the winner over Starship Troopers

This week we have one of the most popular and well read SF books of the last three decades, vs. a classic granddaddy of SF from the century before last!  How time flies...

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 10:57:48 PM
Wow, I think that was the absolute hardest vote to decide.  I ended up going with Ender's Game because a) I loved the story, b) it had more of a lasting effect in my mind after reading, and c) I know many people will vote against Card rather than for the Story.

War of the Worlds however, is not only a classic, but a classic that has stood up in almost every form of media in which it has been adapted.  I can't think of a single version of it that I have not enjoyed (i.e the H.G. Wells novel, the famous Orson Wells radio drama, both movies).

That said, if I'm judging it purely on my experiance of reading the novel and its effect on me, then I'm still going to go with Ender's Game, as much as it hurts to vote against WOTW.  I think for me, this poll is the headline fight, but we'll see.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 07:39:16 PM
I voted for WotW mostly because I have a hard time seperating out the sequels to Ender's Game from my view of Ender's Game.  While the original book was very good, my impression of it has dimmed considerably by the sequels doing more and more to destroy the character as well as the overall story.  I also have to disagree on the last movie version of WotW.  maybe if there was someone other than tom cruise in it, I don't know.  Seemed too much about 'splosions and making tom cruise look good. 

tpi

• Peltast
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 08:04:01 AM
First time in the playoffs the book I voted for won.  :D