Author Topic: PC090: Biographical Notes To “A Discourse On The Nature Of Causality,[...]  (Read 21213 times)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
I'm going to be in the minority too and say this bored me to tears. It felt overwrought and rambling to me, and at times, really did feel like a self-insertion fic. And just when the action finally caught my attention, the character would go into another long, boring diatribe that had me saying "Gah, just get on with it already!". Maybe everyone else knows something I don't?

Nah, I don't think it's a matter of knowledge, but a matter of tastes.  I'm actually a bit surprised I liked it, because I'd usually also dislike a story that went into that many rambles.  But, well, I love philosophy, and rambles about philosophy keep my attention, unlike most other subjects.

mbrennan

• Matross
I found the character and the plot completely unbelievable.  All this "I don't know why, but I'm going to be heroic" and "it's so improbable that this would happen, but it did" and the calm philosophical ruminations while facing deathly danger.

The improbability aspect, I think, was part of the worldbuilding.  I kept getting interrupted in my listen for this one, so I don't have a good grip on causality as it operates in the world of the story, but my distinct impression was that Our!Rosenbaum was hanging a lampshade on the fact that what looks like unlikely coincidence in our world may not be so in theirs.

I enjoyed this one well enough, despite the fact that those interruptions almost invariably timed themselves with the narrator's philosophical digressions, such that it killed the forward momentum of the plot extra thoroughly.  I might enjoy it better on the page, though, where I could keep better track of the different types of causality and pause to think them through.  Still, a fun story.

ancawonka

• Palmer
I couldn't get into this story on the first listen, but after the effusive praise here, I gave it another shot. I'm glad I did - there's a ton of really great imaginative stufff here, plus lush visual descriptions layered in adventure and farce. Thanks forum people!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
I guess since he outed himself over at EP with "The Moment," we can give kibitzer his due here for reading this one. I think he deserves it  :D

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
I guess since he outed himself over at EP with "The Moment," we can give kibitzer his due here for reading this one. I think he deserves it  :D

ooh, neat!  Thanks for pointing that out.  :)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice

GreatAuntMaude

• Extern
I'm going to be in the minority too and say this bored me to tears. ... Maybe everyone else knows something I don't?

Seconded, LaShawn.  And with the story clocking in at over an hour, I'm not sure I want to invest the time to give it a second chance.  :-\

(And yes, I know I'm terribly far behind in my listening.)

-GAM

Samanthropologist

• Extern
This story was published on PC a while ago, but I just discovered the cast last summer. Since then I've been going through and listening to as many as I can, and I'm hooked! Even though I've listened to a ton of them, this one was so phenomenal that I registered on the forums just to say so.

The narrative was amazing, and the philosophy interwoven through the adventure and excitement absolutely made the piece. The small details and subtle humor added to it's overall awesomeness. It also gave me some new perspective on, well, perspective.

Aristotle

• Extern
Long time listener. (since episode 1), first time poster. I registered only for this because i felt the need to say it. I have a problem understanding this narrator. Her voice is not unpleasant. She is full of ssses and her voice sways from the esses and thes but almost everything she says is completely unintelligible. I struggled with other stories as well. Is my hearing going bad?

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Long time listener. (since episode 1), first time poster. I registered only for this because i felt the need to say it. I have a problem understanding this narrator. Her voice is not unpleasant. She is full of ssses and her voice sways from the esses and thes but almost everything she says is completely unintelligible. I struggled with other stories as well. Is my hearing going bad?

Hi Aristotle, did you post in the wrong thread? The narrator for this story was male. If you go to the full list under "episode comments" you'll see separate comment threads for all stories, the most recent on top. And being that the last several stories were all narrated by men, I'm afraid I'm not sure which story you're referring to. (also, check to make sure you meant PodCastle, not Pseudopod or Escapepod, which have their own sections of the forum).

Though if I had to guess, I'd say there's a problem with your mp3 player and/or the program you use to download files. Although there have been some narrators people have had a little harder time understanding than others, those have been fairly scarce, and "almost completely unintelligible" almost never happens (and when it has, it's generally been due to audio quality/production issues, not the reader's voice).

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
For what it's worth, I sometimes have trouble with certain narrator s's when the treble is too high and the bass too low on my car speakers.

I guess I never commented on this story, so I'll just briefly say that it was, I believe, my second or third favourite story from the year it was published. For most of the reasons listed above. I really really dig metafictional explorations of philosophy. Zepplins don't hurt.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Zepplins don't hurt.

Talk to me after you've had a Zeppelin land on your head.