Author Topic: Best Horror Movie Ever Poll - Group 6 of 10  (Read 4528 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: February 12, 2010, 06:06:06 PM
Well, we know for sure that The Thing will go move up to the semi-finals because it won first place.  However, the forum could not decide between the original Frankenstein, Session 9, Poltergeist, or An American Werewolf in London.  They have all tied for second place, and their fate will have to wait for a future vote.

This next batch is pretty diverse.  Let's see how it goes.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 06:49:07 PM
Children of the Corn.  It may not have been the best movie, but I thought they did a good job considering it was only a short story by Stephen King originally. 

Night of the Living Dead--no happy ending and they had people eating fried chicken to make it seem like they were really eating people.

Alien.  Granted it was basically just another slasher movie but set in outerspace, but it was well done, and for the most part the effects have stood up over time.  Not to mention the design for the Alien was based on a work by H.R. Geiger.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 08:59:14 PM
Oh, I hate FRAILTY with a passion (talk about your missed opportunities).

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 09:01:49 PM
Oh, I hate FRAILTY with a passion (talk about your missed opportunities).

Sorry, I can't offer you an anti-vote.  :)

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 09:55:19 PM
Man, I'm reminded that there are a lot of movies I need to see.

Still, I'm pulling for Alien in this round!

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 06:40:48 AM
This group may be diverse, but it contains my two favorite horror movies of all time.  Alien and Silence of the Lambs.  Both really creepy, for different reasons.  But both horror movies that stimulate the brain.

Alien uses suspense beautifully and the design is fantastic.  It was also revolutionary in terms of Science Fiction films, for showing a Blue Collar future.  The whole dank and industrial ship was a big change gleaming white of almost all SF ships before it, though many have copied the aesthetic since.

And Silence of the Lambs... well, that shit just manages to be terrifying without needing to be explicit.  Some of the most frightening scenes are just two characters talking to each other...

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 05:48:27 PM
Ah now... Silence of the Lambs. Cannibals are a very close and personal favorite of mine. I do love my man-eaters so very much. And Hannibal Lecter is such a well-written character. This movie is chock-full of memorable lines (it puts the lotion on the skin or else it gets the hose again) and is just... superb. It's non-supernatural horror, and those are the hardest to pull off. It's a film I relish.

Children of the Corn is one of the better King adaptations. Why do his films never come out as good as the books (with the occasional exception like The Green Mile and Shawshank)? I think it's because King's writing is very personal. He over-writes, but the reader is very much a part of the story. When we see a film version, we are watching it through someone else's eyes, and our own is so much better. I like to say King is an intimate writer. He is very comfortable, and very intimate, with his readers. It's what makes him one of the greats, in my humble opinion.

I finally got 700 monkeys. Now all I need is 700 typewriters and some way to live for 700 years...