Author Topic: SF Novel poll: Playoffs week 6  (Read 6166 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: February 16, 2010, 06:29:38 PM
Last week it was Dune by a landslide!  Sandslide?  Whatever.  We had wormsign the likes of which God has never seen.  Ringworld never had a chance.

Two more classics this week!  Kind of dystopia vs. utopia, I suppose - but Foundation does have a fair bit more going on.  Oh, and apparently it's due to be a movie soon - by Roland Emmerich.  So kind of a horror movie take.  Well, I'm horrified anyway.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 09:24:20 PM
oh man whyd you have to pit these two against each other?  1984 was one of my awakenings into good literature/sf back in 8th grade.  Foundation was my awakening into Asimov and I loved it so.

I'll have to think on this one... I want to say Foundation but 1984 just played a big part in my education.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 10:38:30 PM
it was a little easier for me as (ducks flying bricks, books,etc and prepares to run from the angry mob) I am not an Asimov fan.  Some of his stories are ok, but I have never been an overall big fan.  I guess I like more dystopia in my SF.  Primarily I like more horror in my SF.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 11:00:36 PM
Agree with Bdoomed, this is tough stuff!! Ocicat, you run great polls because one really has to think about the novels in question and why one thinks they're good.

Also: Argh.

tinroof

• Palmer
Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 11:14:57 PM
I don't really think of 1984 as science fiction, exactly, but I tend to prefer Asimov's shorter work. Foundation didn't really grab me. So 1984 it is.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 11:52:18 PM
I don't really think of 1984 as science fiction, exactly...

At the time it was a speculative future dystopia which fits quite nicely into sci-fi. But I know what you mean -- by that definition V for Vendetta counts as sci-fi. Let's just say, the borders are elastic :-)

eytanz

Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 09:00:47 AM
I never read Foundation - I really should, I think. But I'll sit this one out because while in a 10-novel poll I'm happy to vote just for ones I read, it seems inappropriate in a head-to-head.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 05:15:20 PM
Honestly, I consider both of these somewhat academic reads.  Both are old enough that they are badly dated in their style, and neither would pass muster on an editors desk today.  That said, I love them both, but I'll have to choose Foundation's vast scope over 1984's powerful message.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 10:14:20 PM
...and neither would pass muster on an editors desk today...

I'm genuinely curious about this comment... why?

(PM me if that's a better way to do it)

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 05:50:05 AM
I have read both books and thought they were both okay, but I cannot bring myself to vote for either one. I guess neither one really grabbed me enough to make me care.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 04:31:31 PM
Just the style of the writing, really.  1984 holds up better, but would still come across as a bit formal and stilted.  Foundation is full of expository monologues.
Sci Fi has just developed so quickly, from a style point of view, that many of the classics don't hold up so well as simply a fun read today.  Honestly, Dune suffers from the same problems, right down to the mustache-twirling villain.  I still enjoy these works, but their age is obvious.  It would seem that almost any piece of popular literature has the same problems.  See Shakespeare and Dickens for further examples.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 05:13:23 PM
Just the style of the writing, really.  1984 holds up better, but would still come across as a bit formal and stilted.  Foundation is full of expository monologues.
This is why Neil Stephenson can't get published anymore these days.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 06:23:14 PM
That's another issue entirely :)  I've only read Snow Crash and Anathem by Stephenson, but Anathem seemed to have a lot more exposition than Snow Crash.  WAY too much, honestly.  He might not have been so prone to it earlier in his writing.  Hemmingway, King, and Bradbury did get or are getting away with stuff later in their careers that never would have flown when they were unknowns.
When I say that Foundation and 1984 feel dated, I don't mean it as a slight.  They are dated.  Times change, and styles of writing change with them.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 09:22:56 PM
I've yet to read Anathem so I'll withhold judgement there. But in general I've loved everything of Stephenson's I've read -- though I've yet to succeed with the Baroque Cycle.