Author Topic: Podcast Schedules  (Read 6143 times)

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
on: February 16, 2010, 11:55:59 PM
It doesn't matter to me what day a podcast comes out or if it's a few days later.  I would notice if two weeks went by without an EP, but I have no idea what day it's scheduled to be released.  I was just wondering if I was alone in this.  Is not having a set schedule an advantage that podcasts have over traditional radio?  I won't unsubscribe from a podcast if it comes out on an irregular schedule.  But I would if one posts weak material in order to maintain rigid timetable. 

Note: I am not saying that any of the Escape Artists podcasts post weak material to stay on schedule, and I'm not saying they should improve the quality and move to irregular episodes.  But I think a podcast could get away with irregular episodes if the quality was good.  I guess a radio show or TV could too, but it would be much harder. 

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 05:20:31 PM
I listen to a couple of (non-fiction) casts that come out erraticly, and I agree.  I'd rather wait for the good stuff than get a regular feed of sub-par material.  I just can't stay with a show that has poor material or really atrocious sound.  Fortunately, I have plenty of other good stuff to listen to.
That said, if you can have it both ways, like EA or The Drabblecast, I think it's a huge advantage.  Regular content seems to be really effective in building a dedicated following, especially when you're asking for donations on a subscription basis.

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 12:41:04 AM
I listen to a couple of (non-fiction) casts that come out erraticly, and I agree.  I'd rather wait for the good stuff than get a regular feed of sub-par material.  I just can't stay with a show that has poor material or really atrocious sound.  Fortunately, I have plenty of other good stuff to listen to.
That said, if you can have it both ways, like EA or The Drabblecast, I think it's a huge advantage.  Regular content seems to be really effective in building a dedicated following, especially when you're asking for donations on a subscription basis.

Good point.  I think it's an advantage in the sense that I'm more likely to recommend EA or Drabblecast to someone else because they are more fresh in my mind.  Repetition sells.  Also, a regular schedule goes a long way towards contributing to a general sense of professionalism.

I wonder if it's something that can be played with.  If you had a podcast that was dedicated to discussing some unpredictable event like earthquakes you would only do one when the event happened.  But you wouldn't have to worry so much about people unsubscribing in the interim.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 04:48:06 PM
I wonder if it's something that can be played with.  If you had a podcast that was dedicated to discussing some unpredictable event like earthquakes you would only do one when the event happened.  But you wouldn't have to worry so much about people unsubscribing in the interim.
Almost certainly.  Some sports here in the States are held on a fairly uneven basis.  Podcasting recaps could easily follow a variable schedule.

cdugger

• Peltast
  • I read to be smart...er.
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 02:11:20 AM
I prefer the regular schedules. The podcasts I listen to are all good enough that I don't have to worry about crap. Variant Frequencies is great, but not regular. Ditto Dunesteef. Clarke's World is great AND regular.

I would rather risk a little bad to get stuff regularly. I listen at work, and will be running out of "back issues" in a month or so. That means music instead of stories if they aren't regular.

And I am hooked on the stories...

I read, therefore I am...happy.

sandbagr

• Extern
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 09:21:36 AM
I also prefer the regular schedule.  I am so eager for each new ep I am like a squirrel pushing the button waiting for the pellet to drop.  Then when its been more than a week I start to get worried, kinda like that squirrel, except with a little bit more imagination.  I can see Steve trapped in his car, upside-down in a dry ditch where he can't be seen.  He is not badly hurt, but his cell phone is just out of reach on the ceiling.  Its clouding up and starting to rain as the big storm that was predicted is moving in... and this ditch has obvious erosion from previous flash floods.. Oh dear.. Oh my..
I'll know he survived another harrowing week when I get the next ep.
And the adventure continues

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 04:52:25 PM
I think it's different for different podcasts. Podcasts like those EA puts out and DrabbleCast, different writing podcasts, even when someone like Sigler is putting out a new book, it definitely helps to have a regular release schedule for exactly the reasons sandbagr mentioned. I'm hooked. And I want my fix.

I do think some of these podcasts could potentially benefit from time off - especially if it's a one person production deal. But the problem with that (that I see) is it's incredibly difficult to let everyone know "We're baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack." There's no commercials or billboards to announce the return. You can put something on the RSS feed or post something on the blog or put promos out on other people's podcasts, but all that might get missed.  But if people know there's going to be a new episode next week - Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel, they know when to come back.

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 01:35:29 AM
I think it's different for different podcasts. Podcasts like those EA puts out and DrabbleCast, different writing podcasts, even when someone like Sigler is putting out a new book, it definitely helps to have a regular release schedule for exactly the reasons sandbagr mentioned. I'm hooked. And I want my fix.

I do think some of these podcasts could potentially benefit from time off - especially if it's a one person production deal. But the problem with that (that I see) is it's incredibly difficult to let everyone know "We're baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack." There's no commercials or billboards to announce the return. You can put something on the RSS feed or post something on the blog or put promos out on other people's podcasts, but all that might get missed.  But if people know there's going to be a new episode next week - Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel, they know when to come back.

So do you unsubscribe from podcasts you like if there hasn't been any action for a while?  For me it depends.  Some podcasts you can kind of tell aren't coming back, and some you can still have hope for.  I think if you have a regular schedule for a while and then suddenly stop it feels like something came up in your life and you won't be casting again.  But if the podcast never had a regular schedule and then takes a month off, then I'll still hang on to it.  And of course it makes a big difference if irregular means sometimes twice a week, sometimes twice a month or if it means once every three or four months. 

sandbagr

• Extern
Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 12:19:26 AM
Did I miss some announcement of a hiatus or is the podcast just taking a while to come out?
Since I don't see a lot of clamoring for the cast on the forums I thought I may have missed something.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 12:24:22 AM

So do you unsubscribe from podcasts you like if there hasn't been any action for a while?  For me it depends.  Some podcasts you can kind of tell aren't coming back, and some you can still have hope for.  I think if you have a regular schedule for a while and then suddenly stop it feels like something came up in your life and you won't be casting again.  But if the podcast never had a regular schedule and then takes a month off, then I'll still hang on to it.  And of course it makes a big difference if irregular means sometimes twice a week, sometimes twice a month or if it means once every three or four months. 

Hrm. Good question. Typically what happens is I don't unsubscribe right away (I usually don't unsubscribe very often to things), but I don't notice when they come back (I guess in this example, I'm thinking weeks to months), and the episodes pile up, and by then I realize I just don't want to catch up. If that makes sense?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 12:29:42 AM
Did I miss some announcement of a hiatus or is the podcast just taking a while to come out?
Since I don't see a lot of clamoring for the cast on the forums I thought I may have missed something.

Are you talking about EP? If so, you may want to post this at the About Escape Pod. In any case, I don't think an announcement has been made, but I imagine EP will be back shortly :)