Author Topic: More evangelizing for Escape Artists  (Read 4952 times)

FamilyGuy

• Matross
on: February 20, 2010, 12:52:55 AM
I ran across this today at work.

When will all the rhetorical questions end?

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 04:16:45 AM
Cool, but a shame about this part.."(Important note: The podcasts are not kid-friendly)" when in some cases that is clearly not true.

I can't even post a comment there to that regard because the forum is for IT people PLUS to register, you have to allow them to give your email address away to marketers (!!!!!!!!!!!).

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 09:21:29 PM
Cool, but a shame about this part.."(Important note: The podcasts are not kid-friendly)" when in some cases that is clearly not true.

More accurately, "The podcasts are not always kid-friendly"... a significant distinction.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 10:33:39 PM
In fairness, were I a parent who was concerned about the nature of the entertainment my child consumed, "kid friendly" means "I don't have to vet each unit individually before handing it over."  If objectionable stuff shows up even in places, then that's PG-13, ne?  Parental guidance suggested.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 08:33:49 PM

Of course, he said that in the paragraph about Pseudopod, which is only ever kid-friendly by accident if at all.  The use of the plural "podcasts" makes it sound to some of us like he's including the other two EA shows in that, but this is an unfortunate side effect of widespread confusion about the plurality of this noun.  *I* tend to say "podcast" when referring to a feed that regularly delivers individual episodes.  Some people, though, call every episode of every podcast a "podcast"...  so that every podcast is said to deliver podcasts.  Confusing!

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 09:04:40 PM
Oh good point, good point indeed. I should have read more carefully.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 04:19:40 AM
*I* tend to say "podcast" when referring to a feed that regularly delivers individual episodes.  Some people, though, call every episode of every podcast a "podcast"...  so that every podcast is said to deliver podcasts.  Confusing!

My take on this is that you subscribe to a podcast "feed" (here "podcast" is an adjective, modifying the noun "feed"). Each episode of the feed is an individual "podcast" - literally a unit (pod) thrown (cast) at you. Multiple episodes are therefore "podcasts" (plural). This means that the plural "podcasts" can refer to multiple episodes from one feed or from several different feeds.

At least that is my understanding. Feel free to disagree.