Author Topic: SF Novel poll: Playoffs week 7  (Read 3516 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: February 25, 2010, 08:37:01 AM
Women writers are under-represented in Science Fiction.  Of our final 16 novels, only two were written by women.  And of course, the whims of fate mean they are put against each other in the payoffs round.  The Handmaid's Tale is explicitly feminist, a dystopia of patriarchy and sexism run amok.  Frankenstein is, on one level, a story about fathers and sons.  Or on another level, God and mankind.  But either way, not really feminist.  But certainly a multileveled work which cinema has never really done justice to, in addition to getting the credit for being the first real science fiction novel ever

Last week Foundation beat out 1984, which personally surprised me.  1984 won it's group, which included Cat's Cradle, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and Snow Crash.  Whereas Foundation tied for second in it's group, getting the same vote total as four other novels, but beating them out in the tiebreaker poll. 

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 12:56:51 PM
Well it looks like I picked a winner so far.  I went with Frankenstein. 

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 10:54:11 PM
Yep, definitely gonna lose out on this one. Whilst I acknowledge the primacy of Frankenstein as an important piece of sci-fi/horror history, the writing style bores me senseless. Oh well.

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:43:42 AM
I had to toss a coin.  I love both of these books so much.

eytanz

Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 08:30:16 AM
I never read Handmaid, and I'm in a similar position to Kibitzer with regards to Frankenstein - I admire it for its thematic complexity and its role as a pioneering work of SF, but I find the writing itself to be underwhelming (and I like 19th century literature!). I will sit this one out, I think.