Author Topic: Best Horror Movie Ever Poll - Group 7 of 10  (Read 5807 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: March 02, 2010, 09:13:13 PM
I'm a bit late at getting up the new poll.  However, we did have some clear winners last time around.  Alien and Silence of the Lambs took first and second place in the poll, respectively, so they will move on.  Night of the Living Dead gave a strong showing, but it wasn't enough to make the top two spots.

Today's group provides some interesting choices.  I think they really show the diversity of horror in their styles and formats.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 10:37:16 PM by Swamp »

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 09:36:05 PM
Requiem for a Dream? Hrm...I guess you could call it horror, as in a horrorific addiction. Horror isn't the genre I'd default it to, but is a terrifying movie, I suppose.

Lots of great movies this time around. Hard to pick!

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 10:13:00 PM
well looks like I am the only one to vote for reanimator so far.  It wasn't so much a good movie as it was a cult classic.  I almost voted for the Grudge, but I just thought there were better movies in that subgenre that were better.  I did go with Psycho, just rewatched the original a few months ago, and it's still a good horror movie.  While some parts were dated, most of the movie still worked quite well.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 10:54:20 PM
Lots of great ones here.  Pan's Labyrinth may be my favorite of all of them, but tough competition with Jaws and Psycho.  Some fantastic horror classics there.  I voted for Re-animator too, even though it's not on the same level, but I just have a fondness for it.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 05:07:15 AM
I have a special organ filled with bile just for the Reanimator. I would be tempted to sacrifice future voting rights just to strike it from consideration. It takes the premise of my favorite Lovecraft tale and violates it in so many ways. The graphic sort of violation in Pseudopod 137: The Reign of the Wintergod By Eugie Foster. But not nearly as pleasant. I hate this deviation from the source material more than that of Starship Troopers.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 01:15:35 PM
I have a special organ filled with bile just for the Reanimator. I would be tempted to sacrifice future voting rights just to strike it from consideration. It takes the premise of my favorite Lovecraft tale and violates it in so many ways. The graphic sort of violation in Pseudopod 137: The Reign of the Wintergod By Eugie Foster. But not nearly as pleasant. I hate this deviation from the source material more than that of Starship Troopers.

at least it's not Bride of the Reanimator or worse yet The Unnamable (Which somehow I have sat through twice without my head exploding)

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 03:09:16 AM
On the other hand, THE RESURRECTED, which is "Strange Case Of Charles Dexter Ward", is quite good.

I know I'll be the only one voting for TARGETS but if it gets even one person to watch it, I'll be gratified.  Third greatest Karloff role (after Lewton's THE BODY SNATCHER and the obvious), one of those amazing "transitional" genre movies that actively marks the moment when things culturally shift, and it contains some killer lines ("THIS is what I was afraid of?" "I'm hunting pigs...")

Had to go with THE HAUNTING (still one of the best movies of its kind ever, the remake such a travesty - "It ought to be burned down... and the ground sowed with salt!" could be applied to that hideous remake), PSYCHO (natch! "We all go a little mad sometimes") , NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (for its canny reinvention of the slasher genre by turning it into a suburban ghost story - if you ever re-watch, pay attention to how often the little window on the front door is noted) and, yes, REANIMATOR (I find the original text kinda not very good for Lovecraft -  although enjoyable pulp - so the humor addition is not slaying any sacred cows for me and Jeffrey Combs so perfectly embodies a Lovecraftian character).

I love JAWS dearly but I consider it an adventure movie more than a monster movie (although I can see the argument).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 03:22:27 AM by Sgarre1 »

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 06:56:31 AM
we need clarification here, are we voting on the original haunting or the remake (which the poll is linked to)?

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 04:39:52 PM
we need clarification here, are we voting on the original haunting or the remake (which the poll is linked to)?

I have to admit my ignorance of the original 1963 movie.  I have not seen it, only the remake, which I didn't care for.  However, based on the recommendation of Sgarre1, I have changed the link to the original movie and will provide the ability for votes to be changed if desired based on the switch.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 04:55:05 PM
I'm in the same boat. I saw the one with Liam Neeson and Catherine Zeta-Jones. Wow, that was awful stuff. I really need to check out the original now. (And read Shirley Jackson's book - everyone tells me it's one of the best ghost stories ever written.)

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 05:04:40 PM
(And read Shirley Jackson's book - everyone tells me it's one of the best ghost stories ever written.)

It is.

MacBean

• Palmer
Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 02:36:16 AM
The remake of The Haunting is crap. The original is one of the best films of all time, horror or otherwise.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 02:38:15 AM by MacBean »

~Bean

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 01:32:13 AM
Pan's labyrinth?  really?  bah, such an overrated movie.  >P

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 05:36:54 PM
Oh man! Jaws was my very first horror-ish film! I remember very clearly... being four-years-old, with that big thing that pre-dated the VCR... it took those flat disc things that looked like large, flat 8-track tapes... anyway, I remember watching Jaws and giggling the whole time. Especially when that guy's leg floats through the water. I'd rewind and watch that leg float down through the blue over and over again, laughing like a fool. I still love that movie, to this very day.

Psycho was good. Yay for Hitchcock! I think that film had a lot of impact on the quality of horror film that immediately followed and was definitely iconic to the industry.

I finally got 700 monkeys. Now all I need is 700 typewriters and some way to live for 700 years...