Author Topic: HBO Greenlights A Game of Thrones series  (Read 16791 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: March 02, 2010, 10:18:03 PM
It's official, the Game of Thrones 10 part miniseries has been picked up, and will film past the (already finished) pilot. 

Hollywood Reporter article

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 10:18:45 PM
Cool!

Need to bump the book up on my TBR pile now!!!

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 11:05:11 PM
Yeah baby Yeah!

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 11:08:40 PM
One small comment though. It's not a 10-part miniseries, it's a full series. The first season consists of 10 episodes (and they only ordered the first season- which is standard procedure), but if they decide to keep it going it will be much more than that.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 11:14:29 PM
One small comment though. It's not a 10-part miniseries, it's a full series. The first season consists of 10 episodes (and they only ordered the first season- which is standard procedure), but if they decide to keep it going it will be much more than that.

Well, yes and no.  Game of Thrones will be adapted in 10 parts.  After that comes A Clash of Kings, which would be season two. 

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 03:34:41 AM
am I a bad genre fan for not having been able to get into the series?

Never even made it quarter of the way through the first book.

Admittedly I was put off by hearing bout how Martin likes to massacre his characters.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 08:03:45 AM

Well, yes and no.  Game of Thrones will be adapted in 10 parts.  After that comes A Clash of Kings, which would be season two. 

Yeah, the second book they adapt will be A Clash of Kings, but I am pretty sure it will still be called Game of Thrones Season Two.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 07:09:06 PM
Yeah, the second book they adapt will be A Clash of Kings, but I am pretty sure it will still be called Game of Thrones Season Two.

Why don't they call the whole overarching series "A Song of Ice and Fire", as I understand the book series is called?  Then they can use the book titles for each individual season.

Why not? JMS gave each season of Babylon 5 its own title.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 08:09:17 PM
Why not? JMS gave each season of Babylon 5 its own title.

Well yes, but TV Guide called them "Babylon 5".  I think Sirana is right, and the show overall will be called "A Game of Thrones" which is a better name than "A Song of Ice and Fire", which looks like some kind of cross between American Idol and Survivor if you were flipping through TV listings.

I'm sure they will subtitle each season, just like B5 did, and Heroes for that matter.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 07:53:02 AM
Well yes, but TV Guide called them "Babylon 5".  I think Sirana is right, and the show overall will be called "A Game of Thrones" which is a better name than "A Song of Ice and Fire", which looks like some kind of cross between American Idol and Survivor if you were flipping through TV listings.

While I think A Song of Ice and Fire is an awsome name for a book series, I agree with Ocicat, Game of Thrones works better for a TV Show. It incapsulates what the series is about (especially in the beginning) and downplays the mystical element which I think is a good idea considering most peoples oppinions of fantasy.

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 03:44:40 PM
It incapsulates what the series is about (especially in the beginning) and downplays the mystical element which I think is a good idea considering most peoples oppinions of fantasy.

yup.

i am SO excited about this!  i've been anxiously awaiting this announcement since HBO bought the rights to the series a few years ago.  i think it will be VERY popular! 

if you haven't read Game Of Thrones yet...do yourself a favor!  it's a great read!  and, the entire series is fantastic!

Yargling

• Peltast
Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 06:41:21 PM
Will the UK get to see it? And if so, when and where? Never read the books myself, but it sounds interesting, and HBO tend to make enjoyable and interesting series'.

eytanz

Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 07:14:04 PM
Will the UK get to see it? And if so, when and where? Never read the books myself, but it sounds interesting, and HBO tend to make enjoyable and interesting series'.

I'm sure we'll get it here, but I don't think a distribution deal has been announced...

Yargling

• Peltast
Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 07:26:20 PM

I'm sure we'll get it here, but I don't think a distribution deal has been announced...

Well, I'll keep my ears open then, heh.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 08:13:27 PM

Here in Germany the chance for an HBO show coming to tv are very slim. The Wire wasn't shown on tv here and wasn't even released as a DVD.
*Sigh*
Well, I hear there is a Bay of Pirates around somewhere...

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 04:49:03 AM
Oh man. I can't see this ending well.

But...

Lord of the Rings ended up being pretty damn good. I'm happy to be proven wrong.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 04:35:38 PM
Oh man. I can't see this ending well.

But...

Lord of the Rings ended up being pretty damn good. I'm happy to be proven wrong.
I have similiar concerns, but the good news is that Martin has spent a lot of time in the TV world, so he knows how to work with those folks.  So far, he says hes more than happy with what they've done.  That, and HBO usually does a pretty good job with the series work.

danooli

Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 02:00:09 PM
the Catelyn character has already been recast and there are rumors of Dany being recast as well....

you can check out winter-is-coming.net for details :)

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 01:26:04 AM
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FugGa_LGB-E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/FugGa_LGB-E</a>

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 07:15:52 AM
So my friend was raving about this book that was second in a series, an mentioned it was going to be a tv show, and sure enough it was the second book to game of thrones... Something I wouldn't expect this friend of mine to read (much less read in the first place).  So this book has now been bumped up higher on my to-read list! :P

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 06:56:44 PM

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 07:40:10 PM
Having not read these books (not because I don't want to, but because of the time it'll require), I have to say the pics look very promising.

I'm hoping this is awesome.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 08:07:19 PM
i listened to the audio books.  fantastic narration but it works out to something like one solid week of audio.

podcasts suffered for several months.

BlueLu

• Palmer
    • www.lenacoakley.com
Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 09:46:37 PM
am I a bad genre fan for not having been able to get into the series?

Never even made it quarter of the way through the first book.

Admittedly I was put off by hearing bout how Martin likes to massacre his characters.

I can understand that.  I love the series, but have sometimes wished Martin would learn how to write narrative summary and not tell us every single d**n thing that happens to every single d**n character.  But knowing no character is safe is one of the things I really like!

Lena

wingodzilla

• Palmer
Reply #25 on: February 01, 2011, 05:16:00 AM
The one thing I am glad for about this, is that the writer (George R.R. Martin) has written the script and was directly involved with the making of the show. Also if it does well HE MIGHT ACTUALLY FINISH THE SERIES!!!!

Dignity does not consist in possessing honors, but in deserving them. ~ Aristotle (384 - 322 B.C)

danooli

Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 03:17:52 PM
The one thing I am glad for about this, is that the writer (George R.R. Martin) has written the script and was directly involved with the making of the show. Also if it does well HE MIGHT ACTUALLY FINISH THE SERIES!!!!

he only wrote the script for episode 8, but he has been peripherally involved in the rest of the production :)