Escape Artists
August 30, 2014, 01:11:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PC284: The October Witch  (Read 1494 times)
InfiniteMonkey
Lochage

Clearly, I need more typewriters....

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2013, 08:15:08 PM »

I also wonder why the folklorist never heard of the October Witch. Maybe she's so successful that nobody ever gets away to spread tales.

That's actually what I thought as I was listening, that she must be so good at it.  Especially if she isn't exactly the cause of the deaths, and she's just harvesting the souls before they are able to go where souls are supposed to go.  Nobody would know about that, assuming nobody goes to the cabin or can see the men to recognize them.  (The men can see each other, but can others see them?)

+1 on that interpretation.  Folklore can't spread among the living if the only ones who experience or hear of it are dead souls trapped into servitude.

I'll go you one better than that. What if she *made up* the whole October Witch "story" on the spot because to a folklorist, that's the sweetest honey. Maybe for someone else she would have told a different story, enticing to them.

Jen
Palmer

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 07:30:51 AM »

I came here to say the obvious, but I liked Max e^{i pi}'s explanation a lot and it made me see a lot more meaning in the story... so I'll abstain from saying the obvious Smiley

The narrator reminded me of the guy who did the Dark Tower books (Susannah's voice and accent), though I can't figure out if it reminds me of books 1-4 (Frank Muller) or 5-7 (George Guidall). (For the record, this is a very good thing - I loved the DT narrations.)
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 10:34:14 AM »

I'll go you one better than that. What if she *made up* the whole October Witch "story" on the spot because to a folklorist, that's the sweetest honey. Maybe for someone else she would have told a different story, enticing to them.

I could totally buy into that explanation (though it didn't occur to me as I listened)

--David Steffen
The Submissions Grinder:  Fiction market listings, submissions tracker, always free, poetry and nonfiction markets coming soon!
evrgrn_monster
Lochage

SQUAW, MY OPINIONS.

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 11:44:11 PM »

This was a lukewarm story for me, and not because of the obvious ending. I actually have absolutely no problem with an obvious ending. I don't know if I've made the comparison on this forum before, but Pixar movies are a great example of cliche turned into something magical. Of course, we know Woody and Buzz are going to end up getting along at the end of Toy Story, content to both be Andy's toys. Was Nemo going to be found by his dad in a heartfelt reunion, and would Dory become a part of the family? Duh, holy cow, yes, we all knew that was going to happen. That doesn't make these bad stories. It's about taking something familiar and cradling it and making it the best it can be, even if that means you don't surprise anyone at the end.

That being said, I don't think The October Witch lived up to that level of magic. It wasn't a bad story, but there was no sense of wonder, or even horror in it, for me at least. The descriptions were okay, but I think there could have been more world building, or something that could've added to an atmosphere of dread that I wasn't feeling.

ungelic_is_us
Extern

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2013, 10:49:06 PM »

I loved this story. It was exactly what I want in a fun, creepy Halloween tale; I actually really enjoy scary stories that telegraph the ending--dramatic irony is a great device in ratcheting up the tension/anticipation. "The October Witch" reminded me of a Lovecraft story in that way--you know it's all going to end in tears, that the skeptic is going to have his intellectual superiority stripped away, and while you pity the misery he's going to experience, you can't help but feel a little smug that he didn't cotton on to his fate sooner.
ArbysMom
Extern

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2013, 01:19:23 PM »

Also, hats off to Steve Anderson. If I ever win the lottery I'm going to spend a substantial portion on it attempting to force him, Cheyenne Wright and Wilson Fowlie into an iron cage and have them read short stories until one man emerges victorious.... or my brain explodes from the sheer awesome. I'm good with both endings.

I agree, these three narrators are amazing. To hear yet another great voice, check out Lightspeed Magazine for any podcasts narrated by Stefan Rudnicki.

Devoted135
Hipparch

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 10:34:09 PM »

Well, Max's commentary just elevated this story from "fun with a fantastic narration" to an all around "WOW!" Cheesy
Max e^{i pi}
Hipparch

Have towel, will travel.

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2013, 03:48:58 AM »

Well, Max's commentary just elevated this story from "fun with a fantastic narration" to an all around "WOW!" Cheesy
I aim to please. And I have a sniper scope too, so you'd better watch out. ;P

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

LaShawn
Editor

Writer Mommies Rule!

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 02:41:41 PM »

For me, this was an okay story. Yeah, I knew what was going to happen, but I found the folklore of the October witch to be interesting. I guess I'm going to be the lone dissenter and say the narration didn't work so well for me. The witch's southern drawl put me on edge, though I can't say why.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: