Author Topic: Cheyenne Wright medical fund  (Read 2950 times)

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
on: March 09, 2010, 01:47:07 AM
Cheyenne Wright recently had an unexpected hospital visit due to heart problems.  His coworkers, Phil and Katja Foglio, are raising money to offset his bills since freelancers don't have health insurance.  They're offering some exclusive Girl Genius wallpaper to reward donations. 

Click here to help out.

Cheyenne is a colorist for Girl Genius, as well as frequent narrator for Pseudopod and occasionally also PodCastle and Escape Pod.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 02:56:35 AM by Heradel »

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 02:58:20 AM
As an update, Cheyenne Wright twittered today about his doctor's appointment:
Doc - I want to cut you open and look for stuff. Me - Now?. Doc - No, I can wait. Here, take these pills. #DocVisitSimplfied
In more detail - My heart is too big. Either I had a virus that attacked the muscle or an actual heart attack. Medicine for now.
but "exploratory surgery" may lie in my future
I will explain to the doctors that I actually WANT the giant Frankenstein chest scars if possible
. @phinmagic  to quote the Venture Bros. "Ever since da Iron Man, everybody wants da robot heart" http://bit.ly/6ZrrP5

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 08:22:30 PM
And a more formal update:
My Big Floppy Heart
After seeing a cardiologist we are not really closer to definitively saying that "Event X" triggered my sickness. For my age, the most likely cause was a virus that attacked the muscle of my heart leaving it weakened and stretched out. the other less likely option was some kind of mild heart attack.

The end result is that my heart is pumping at 50% efficiency and it knows this - so it's also trying to pump at twice the speed to compensate.  This causes all the fluid circulation of the body to be thrown off. A side effect of this makes a foamy spit like substance seep into my lungs - the cause of my hack and cough, while more fluids leak into the soft tissues of my legs and feet causing them to swell. Overall this condition is called Congestive Heart Failure.  Wheeee.

The best option right now is medication. I'm taking a cocktail of med's to lower my blood pressure in the Doctor's hope that my heart can just heal itself. Right now we are trying to acclimate my body to the medication so that the dosages can slowly be increased. Since I started the med's my appetite has been easily cut in half; and some days it is hard to eat anything. On the upside I've lost 25lbs.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 09:02:48 PM
well crap, that doesn't sound good.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 10:18:15 PM
Cheyenne seems to have recovered, thank god.  girl genius really lost something that week it was just line art.

it looks like the donations are back to the standard support-this-comic variety.