Author Topic: SF Novel poll: Playoffs week 8  (Read 3907 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: March 04, 2010, 06:42:05 PM
Last week Frankenstein and his creation survived against The Handmaid's Tale.  That's the third novel that came in second place in it's group that's gone on to the quarter-finals. 

This week we have two great books that have been turned into even more famous movies. 

In the case of 2001 the movie isn't quite an adaptation, since the movie was being produced at the same time the book was being written.  The movie and the novel are fairly close to each other in plot, with some differences, such as which planet the final scene takes place in orbit around.  Interestingly, the next novel, 2010, follows up on the movie's continuity, not that of the proceeding novel.  So the movie can be seen as actually more definitive than the book.

Then there's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, which inspired "Blade Runner", but really doesn't have too much in common with it, details wise.  They are very different stories, though both excellent in their own way.  And while the original story is great, I do think it's become Dick's most famous work purely because of the movie.  On it's own, I don't think it stands out above Dick's other fantastic work.  Which he has a lot of.  But hey, whatever gets people reading his stuff!

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 10:37:11 PM
At least this choice is pretty clear for me.  :)

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 12:40:58 AM
I have to go with the electric sheep.  Both books are excellent but...

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 06:03:33 AM
I have to go with the electric sheep.  Both books are excellent but...

I agree.  Without Kubrick's brilliant film, 2001 is a good SF novel, not a great one.  On the other hand, the PKD is so subtle that it takes at least two readings to really get into the meat of it and understand all the questions that Dick raises.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 11:08:38 AM
Sorry, I've tried hard to read PKD, and I just can't stand him.  Dry and boring.  I've tried to read several of this stories, and I don't think I've ever finished one.  Androids was no different for me.  <ducks thrown bricks>

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 09:04:41 PM
Stop throwing the bricks! Just brain gelee!

Just kidding, dude. Nobody's perfect  ;)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 02:25:13 AM
Without Kubrick's brilliant film, 2001 is a good SF novel, not a great one.

Oh no. Sorry, but I have to forcefully disagree (and thereby tip my voting hand ;-)

Dick and Clarke write two very different styles of novel. Clarke is much into "hard" sci-fi and big- (sometimes enormous-) picture stuff whereas Dick is much more concerned with personal reality and its sometimes ephemeral nature. I suspect that choosing one over the other says which of those styles one prefers (at least for this poll).

2001 was one of the first sci-fi novels I ever read and it had a deep and lasting impact on me (and I'm willing to admit that thereby I'm biased). I read it well before the film, which, at the time, I found it a baffling interpretation albeit with stunning and unforgettable set pieces.  (BTW I'm well aware that the two grew together).

Whilst it's true Clarke's characters and dialogue are sometimes very creaky, his was one of the great imaginations in sci-fi.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:21:59 AM by kibitzer »