Se7en
9 (14.8%)
Cloverfield
7 (11.5%)
Bram Stoker's Dracula
3 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: March 31, 2010, 08:55:47 PM

Author Topic: Best Horror Movie Ever Poll - Group 8 of 10  (Read 7385 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Re: Best Horror Movie Ever Poll - Group 8 of 10
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 12:19:55 PM »
I admittedly still need to see the sequel...

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 01:24:08 PM »
I have both of the 28 movies... they are good movies, enjoyable enough, good action. But I admit I expected more from them than what I got.

I really didn't care for Alien or any of the subsequent Alien movies. Well... except Alien versus Predator. I loved that one.
I finally got 700 monkeys. Now all I need is 700 typewriters and some way to live for 700 years...

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 01:08:05 AM »
Controverisally I actually MUCH prefer the sequel.  Very much Aliens to the original's Alien.

I'd agree with the comparison, but not with the preference.  The sequel had a couple of plot holes that bugged the hell out of me.  (Like why they're letting people back in to live in a place covered with a virus that literally spreads irreparably withing *seconds* of exposure and which is nearly 100% fatal/incurable, or how the random low-end janitor gets all the way down to the Top Secret Cleanroom in order to mack with his plague dog wife.  I dunno.  It bugs me when people can't find any way to make the plot work other than to have characters be complete idiots.[]
---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 05:24:05 PM »
I really didn't care for Alien or any of the subsequent Alien movies. Well... except Alien versus Predator. I loved that one.

What's not to love about AvP? It's At the Mountains of Madness minus the atmosphere but with extra explosions.
All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 06:26:48 PM »

What's not to love about AvP? It's At the Mountains of Madness minus the atmosphere but with extra explosions.

Honestly? I hated all the characters, with the slight exception of Lance Henriksen's. But that's mostly because he was Lance Henriksen. But everyone else was flat and boring and completely unbelievable.

That movie had loads of potential, and I don't hate Paul Anderson, but that one just bored me.

(I guess you could say that the characters in At the Mountains of Madness didn't have much depth either, but at least there the writing itself was interesting.)

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 09:27:12 AM »
I admit, I like AvP merely for the visuals. Very visually stimulating. Explosions are awesome. ;) Gotta love a well placed BOOM, y'know? On the writing alone, it wouldn't do the trick by far, but it was certainly exciting.
I finally got 700 monkeys. Now all I need is 700 typewriters and some way to live for 700 years...