Author Topic: Best Horror Movie Ever Poll - Group 8 of 10  (Read 11820 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: March 17, 2010, 04:30:38 PM
From the last poll, Pan's Labrinth and Psycho move on to battle it out among the top contenders later on.  Yay for Hitchcock!  I was a little surprised that Nightmare on Elm Street did better than Jaws.  Both are iconic, but I think I understand why some may not view Jaws as true horror.

This poll's motley crew has some interesting dynamics.  Two different takes on zombies.  Two camcorder POV movies.  Borderline horror, genre-starting modern classics, remakes, adaptations, and the less-known.  Should be interesting.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 04:34:06 PM
Oh, crap. I voted too soon. Ah, well. I'm sure the one I left out will get good representation.

This one has about six movies that I'd consider incredibly influential to me, so it's a particularly tough batch.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 04:47:00 PM
I changed the poll so you can change your vote.  I guess there's no reason not to allow it.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 05:05:07 PM
Cool. Thanks!

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 07:04:04 PM
the link to black sunday was probably meant to point to the italian movie

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 08:58:21 PM
The Evil Dead--Best Class Project Ever....
The Ring--This one was really creepy and weird, hadn't felt that in a long time with horror
28 Days Later--While some may blame it for "fast zombies" I really liked this one.  I am a fan of zombie tales anyways so...
Halloween--The first true slasher movie (not counting Psycho).  Really started a genre, and before all the sequels wasn't about some supernatural badass like Freddy or Jason.  Not to mention the Shatner mask was a classic. 

Thought about se7en but it's more psychological horror, not "true horror"  It is a kind of horror, but I would put it more in the "thriller" genre than Horror.  Blair Witch was hohum to me not sure if it was not seeing it on a big screen, or the fact one of the "dead" showed up on Letterman the night before I watched it. 

The remake of the fly was good, and had some gross horrific scenes but I still prefer the original Vincent Price version. 

I think I may have seen everything on this poll. 

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 12:48:36 AM
I think John Doe from Se7en has at least a hint of the supernatural about him.  He's able to accomplish a ridiculous amount of stuff for just one guy, and then there's his complete lack of any identity; no fingerprints, no history, no records.  The only reason they catch him at all is because he wants them to.

I mean, he's not quite Kaiser Soze, but he's definitely a bit more than average...

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 01:57:19 AM
the link to black sunday was probably meant to point to the italian movie

I spoke to sgarre1 and confirmd that it was the italian film.  Makes a lot more sense.  I fixed the link.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 03:10:25 AM by Swamp »

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 03:33:19 AM
The remake of the fly was good, and had some gross horrific scenes but I still prefer the original Vincent Price version. 

I prefer the Vincent Price one as well.  I asked the person who nominated it which version they intended, and they indicated the 1986 version with Jeff Goldblum.  I liked that one too, but there is just something about the original. 

However, I have always viewed the 1958 Fly as more science fiction than horror, although the awesome part at the end with the spider feels like horror I guess.  But the 1986 Fly has more horrorific elements.  I actually even thought once about adapting the original into a three-act play, but I never got too far.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 11:54:13 AM
Vincent Price was imho the last of the great horror actors.  now adays you can stick just about anyone into a horror film.  Only two people I can truly think of that have even done a lot of genre movies like that are Jeffrey Combs (look at the second movie listed I don't know if I should squee or scream in horror) and Robert Englund, and most of the latter was as endless sequels of Nightmare on Elm street so same character. 

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 10:22:36 PM
I liked that one too, but there is just something about the original. 

I've never seen the Cronenberg effort, but it's hard to beat the pathos of that tiny "help me! help me!" at the end of the original.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 10:59:33 PM
Oh, there's a lkot of pathos in the Cronenberg remake as well - it's one of the few horror films I can think of where there's really no "bad guy", as silly and reductionist as that phrase is.  It's pretty much a tragedy - they later made it into an opera!

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 04:18:49 PM
It's nice to see most of these movies getting a good number of votes.  This poll ends tomorrow.

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 05:30:17 PM
This one makes me a little sad. The only decent one here is Dracula, but I'm hard core hardened to horror flicks. For me, horror movies tend to be too surface--visual stimuli and little more. I like deep, soul shattering fear.

About 28 Days Later (and the second one, 28 weeks later)... are those really zombie flicks? I never considered them zombie movies. I enjoyed the movies, but they didn't scare me or give me any real sense of dread. An interesting scenario to ponder, sure, but do they qualify as zombies? Or, for that matter, horror? I thought of them as thrillers... but not horror.

I finally got 700 monkeys. Now all I need is 700 typewriters and some way to live for 700 years...

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 10:20:20 PM
About 28 Days Later (and the second one, 28 weeks later)... are those really zombie flicks? I never considered them zombie movies. I enjoyed the movies, but they didn't scare me or give me any real sense of dread. An interesting scenario to ponder, sure, but do they qualify as zombies? Or, for that matter, horror? I thought of them as thrillers... but not horror.
Yes, they count as Zombies.  Sure they aren't reanimated corpses, but for all intents and purposes, the situation becomes the same.  A few humans survive, go through the survival motions, meet up with military, "I'll kill you in a hearbeat if bitten"... etc.  They may as well be zombies.  They attack you, bite you, rip you apart, run around, travel in hordes... yeah... zombies.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 10:24:18 PM
This one makes me a little sad. The only decent one here is Dracula, but I'm hard core hardened to horror flicks. For me, horror movies tend to be too surface--visual stimuli and little more. I like deep, soul shattering fear.

28 days later didnt scare you????

You are made of far tougher stuff than I am. That movie scared the pants off me. (the sequel sucked).

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 06:04:12 PM

28 days later didnt scare you????

You are made of far tougher stuff than I am. That movie scared the pants off me. (the sequel sucked).

Not in the least. It takes a good bit to scare me anymore. Makes for a lot of disappointment with horror movies, sadly enough. I don't enjoy them like I would if I didn't write horror myself, I think.

I finally got 700 monkeys. Now all I need is 700 typewriters and some way to live for 700 years...

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 05:26:30 AM
I don't think "scare" is the right emotion for "28 Days Later."  "Unsettled" might be better.  I myself am made profoundly uneasy by the way the virus affects the characters.  In particular, the moment when the father character gets infected and knows it and tries to warn his daughter away... just... man.  That's a haunting image right there.

And it definitely fits in the "zombie" umbrella, even if it's not a zombie movie qua zombies.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 04:28:35 PM
I don't think "scare" is the right emotion for "28 Days Later."  "Unsettled" might be better.  I myself am made profoundly uneasy by the way the virus affects the characters.  In particular, the moment when the father character gets infected and knows it and tries to warn his daughter away... just... man.  That's a haunting image right there.

Yeah. That was incredibly disturbing. As was the scene where Eccleston says "I promised them women" and everything just kind of clicks.

Forget horror movies. If I had together a list of my top 10 favorite movies of the last decade, I'm pretty sure this one would be on there.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 04:30:37 PM
Controverisally I actually MUCH prefer the sequel.  Very much Aliens to the original's Alien.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 05:19:55 PM
I admittedly still need to see the sequel...

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 06:24:08 PM
I have both of the 28 movies... they are good movies, enjoyable enough, good action. But I admit I expected more from them than what I got.

I really didn't care for Alien or any of the subsequent Alien movies. Well... except Alien versus Predator. I loved that one.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 06:08:05 AM
Controverisally I actually MUCH prefer the sequel.  Very much Aliens to the original's Alien.

I'd agree with the comparison, but not with the preference.  The sequel had a couple of plot holes that bugged the hell out of me.  (Like why they're letting people back in to live in a place covered with a virus that literally spreads irreparably withing *seconds* of exposure and which is nearly 100% fatal/incurable, or how the random low-end janitor gets all the way down to the Top Secret Cleanroom in order to mack with his plague dog wife.  I dunno.  It bugs me when people can't find any way to make the plot work other than to have characters be complete idiots.[]

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 10:24:05 PM
I really didn't care for Alien or any of the subsequent Alien movies. Well... except Alien versus Predator. I loved that one.

What's not to love about AvP? It's At the Mountains of Madness minus the atmosphere but with extra explosions.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 11:26:48 PM

What's not to love about AvP? It's At the Mountains of Madness minus the atmosphere but with extra explosions.

Honestly? I hated all the characters, with the slight exception of Lance Henriksen's. But that's mostly because he was Lance Henriksen. But everyone else was flat and boring and completely unbelievable.

That movie had loads of potential, and I don't hate Paul Anderson, but that one just bored me.

(I guess you could say that the characters in At the Mountains of Madness didn't have much depth either, but at least there the writing itself was interesting.)