Author Topic: SF Novel poll: Quarterfinals 2  (Read 5481 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: March 18, 2010, 07:17:57 PM
The first Quarterfinal bout, Flowers for Algernon defeated the last Heinlein novel in the poll, Stranger in a Strange Land.  So one old master down, but we still have works by Asimov, Herbert, and Clarke in play. 

This week though, two relative upstarts.  Hitchhiker's Guide was published in 1979, and Ender's was published in 1985. 

However, neither novel was actually the stories original form.  Ender's Game started out as a short story/novelette,  in Analog Magazine, 1977.  I've never read that, but I suspect it may in some ways be superior to the long form novel.

Hitchhiker's started life as a radio drama from the BBC, in 1978.  The first series was six half hour episodes, and the novel was adapted from just the first four.  A second radio series from 1980 had another six episodes.  The novel The Restaurant at the End of the Universe adapted material from all 8 episodes not covered in the first book, but it covered them very very loosely.  There is lots of material in the radio series that has never made it onto the printed page, and some of it is fantastic stuff.  The ever-evolving Haggunenons and their hatred of rotten-filthy-stinking-samelings.  The Shoe Event Horizon.  The final scene in which Arthur and his girlfriend Lintilla steal the Heart of Gold, leaving Zaphod and Ford stranded with the man who rules the universe. 

If you're a fan of tHhGttG and haven't heard the Original Radio Series you owe yourself a listen.

edit: links EP-ized. :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 02:03:05 AM by Bdoomed »

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 08:13:06 PM
However, neither novel was actually the stories original form.  Ender's Game started out as a short story/novelette,  in Analog Magazine, 1977.  I've never read that, but I suspect it may in some ways be superior to the long form novel.

The short story for it very much the same as the novel as far as Ender at Battle School and the Bugger War.  Missing is 1) Peter and Valentine and all their politial maneuvers, 2) Ender's interface with the psychological computer game, and 3) the after-war setup for Speaker of the Dead.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 09:28:18 PM

The short story for it very much the same as the novel as far as Ender at Battle School and the Bugger War.  Missing is 1) Peter and Valentine and all their politial maneuvers, 2) Ender's interface with the psychological computer game, and 3) the after-war setup for Speaker of the Dead.

In other words, Ocicat was quite correct.  ;-)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 09:34:08 PM

Pretty much.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 09:39:34 PM

Aw. I liked that other stuff...

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 11:46:11 PM
I must respectfully abstain from voting in this poll.  I have actually read both these books, but I wasn't really impressed with either one.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 02:03:55 AM
I think everyone here knows my opinion.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 02:31:10 AM
I must respectfully abstain from voting in this poll.  I have actually read both these books, but I wasn't really impressed with either one.

Did not like Hitchhiker's ???  ??? ??? ???

does not compute.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 02:49:22 AM
Honestly, Douglas Adams always felt a little mean-spirited to me.  I vastly prefer Pratchett, whose secular humanism seems a little more optimistic and welcoming.  I read the whole Hitchhiker's series because... well, you kind of have to.  I've never really felt the urge to go back and reread. 

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 03:29:30 AM
WEIRD. ok. :P

I donno. For pure LOLs its hard to beat Pratchett, but I always felt that Adams' writing was a bit richer in terms of .. I donno, plot, I guess. Sophistication maybe. Pratchett's stuff is a bit fluffier, I think.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 04:11:12 AM
Waiting for the Fantasy polls to ignite the Pratchett flame wars...

tpi

• Peltast
Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 09:56:01 AM

I prefer the novel to the original novella.
And one more vote my candidate is apparently going to lose.  :(
I don't really care for Hitchhiker's novels. The humor in them isn't really to my taste.

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 10:54:40 AM
Never read the novel version of Ender's Game.  I read the short story, thought it was brilliant.  Then read Speaker for the Dead, thought it was brilliant.  Then read the third and fourth novels.  Have banished them from my memory.

I read the first Hitchhiker book in 6th grade.  I've been a fan of Adams ever since.  I think the publisher ought to sell it together with the second book (and no others) as one long novel.

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 03:50:15 AM
Aw. I liked that other stuff...

Yeah, this was one case where I thought the novel was better than the short story.