Author Topic: PC096: Love Among The Talus  (Read 14958 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 11:10:06 PM
Getting ready to do the feedback for this one and noticed several people saying they'd enjoy reading more stories set in this world. To which Bear says: it's set in the same place as her forthcoming novellas Bone and Jewel Creatures and The Steles of the Sky, forthcoming from Subterranean Press in 2010 and 2011. So, keep an eye out.  :)

yicheng

• Matross
Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 09:00:40 PM
The story wasn't all that engaging, but I did enjoy the world-building.  The Taluses were interesting creatures, although (as others have said) their relevancy with the storyline was vague at best.  I can only guess that they are symbolic of the princess's life, as she decides to either be lead by others and (like the domesticated Talus) be the wife and trophy of someone else's political climb, or decide her own fate (as the wild Talus).  I'd definitely interested in hearing/reading more about this world. 

I'm a little surprised, though, that the royal incest didn't raise any eyebrows in the forums.  It sounded like she knew that Tamil was her brother and did it anyway.  Whoa!

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 06:38:54 PM
For anyone who enjoyed this, or perhaps even for some of you who didn't, Elizabeth Bear has just released a full novel set in this universe: Range of Ghosts. Mostly it's a different set of characters, but Nilafur has a small role. I'm finding it quite excellent! I didn't experience any difficulty keeping track of familial connections, which was one of the primary complaints with this one, so it may be worth checking out even if you had issues with this story.

I didn't make the connection until I was about 80% done with the books and the Taluses made an appearance. I was like "wait.. giant, ground-eating living rocks.. that sounds awfully familiar."

I'm pretty sure it's going to be the first in a series (not quite done yet, but there's way too much still hanging for it to be wrapped up in the few pages I have left).

Anyway, its good. Check it out.