Author Topic: SF Novel poll: Quarterfinals 4  (Read 4669 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: April 04, 2010, 11:34:13 PM
Okay, so we like Dune.  Asimov's Foundation got less than a quarter of the votes.

This week we have the artificial man vs. the artificial mind.  That is, Frankenstein's creation vs. HAL9000.  The themes are perhaps different, but the results did end up somewhat similarly, you have to admit.

After this week we'll have just four books left, and three polls - two semifinals and the final.  I'm pretty sure I know which novels are going to end up in the finals, but I'm willing to be surprised!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:17:08 AM by Ocicat »

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 03:12:41 AM
This was actually kind of hard.  I like both of these for different reasons, so I went with 2001 when I asked myself, "Which book would I like to re-read now?"

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 11:20:31 AM
This was actually kind of hard.  I like both of these for different reasons, so I went with 2001 when I asked myself, "Which book would I like to re-read now?"

Swamp, I went this same exact way, asking myself the same question, thinking it was a hard choice!  But I got a different answer. 

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 03:09:16 PM
That is, Frankenstein's creation vs. HAL9000.  The themes are perhaps different, but the results did end up somewhat similarly, you have to admit.

I do? 'cause I'm not so sure about that statement. Hafta think about it.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 04:45:54 PM
*seconds Anarkey*

Frankenstein was fun to read.  2001 was just a slog for me.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 11:58:32 PM
Frankenstein was fun to read.  2001 was just a slog for me.

Astounding. Direct opposite for me. What was it about 2001 you found unappealing? The plot? The dialogue? The characters? I'm genuinely curious.

(Incidentally, can there be an indirect opposite?)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 12:42:58 AM
The writing just... I dunno.  Didn't inspire me, and I thought the whole thematic structure was just meh.  I couldn't feel the story, you know?  Whereas I enjoy the archaic language and the Gothic tone in general.  I love Poe and Lovecraft.  I loved "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell," which consciously imitated that style.

I'm also a cynical bastard, and pretty much always have been.  So I'm predisposed to enjoy the writing in "Frankenstein," and I'm far more ready to believe that man's creations will escape his control and he will destroy himself out of pride than I am prepared to believe that a benevolent-if-mysterious force is shaping everything to humanity's good.  This tendency blends interestingly with my spiritual life, I can tell you.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 12:32:27 PM
If I may Cat -- you're rather young to be a "cynical bastard", and a self-confessed one at that :-)

Many thanks for following up with a description of why.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 02:18:00 AM
If I may Cat -- you're rather young to be a "cynical bastard", and a self-confessed one at that :-)

Many thanks for following up with a description of why.

The response to this and other posts were split and put here: http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=3481.0

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.