Author Topic: Best Horror Movie Ever Poll - Group 9 of 10  (Read 5301 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: April 02, 2010, 06:43:37 PM
Moving up from the last poll are 28 Days and Se7en.  Even with two clear winner, I think last poll was unique in that the votes were pretty well distributed through all of the selections.  The Evil Dead, The Ring, and Cloverfield all tied for third and weren't too far behind Se7en.

Note on this poll:  I know it was the Salem's Lot TV series that was discussed in the nomination thread, but since this is a movie poll, I included the movie version of Salem's Lot.  I like it.  Speaking of vampire movies, I also slipped Martin in this poll for Sgarre1, so I know it will at least get one vote.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 04:46:09 AM
Many thanks on adding MARTIN - it blew me away years ago and blew me away back in November on a re-watch!

(Wish I'd seen PEEPING TOM when we were putting this list together - amazing film as well!)

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 03:26:32 PM
Wow, more people voted already than I thought.  I figured since I didn't post until Friday, I'd lose everybody over the weekend.  Some winners are already emerging. 

Remember if you haven't seen some of these movies, there is time to rent/Netflix them.  I haven't always done this, I admit.  However, this weekend, I sat down to watch The Haunting original movie (from a couple polls ago) and was excited to watch it, but the CD was so scratched that after twenty minutes of fighting with it, we had to turn it off.  What I did see was promising, though.  I will try again.  This is only my second bad experience with DVD's from Netflix.  They are usually pretty good.

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 01:10:01 AM
Oh, The Birds freaked me out very much as a kid. The Wicker Man... which one? The Nicholas Cage remake or the older (read as better) version? I enjoyed them both, but I liked the older version more by leaps and bounds( though, I have an odd affection for black and white film and am very sad none are listed Nosferatu... oh my yes.). Edit to add: Oh! They're links! Then, The Wicker man... oh yes. The better one. :)

And The Sixth Sense holds a tender place in my heart.

There are two horror flicks that I don't see up here and that bugs me, a bit. However, I'll have to go back through the others to see what's what, but why is The Exorcist listed? To be honest, that is actually the only horror movie that has ever scared me so badly that I wet myself. I was a kid when I first watched it, so you know... I peed my pants, but to this day, it still takes my breath away every time I watch it. It's the only film that leaves me unable to sleep for weeks; the only one that brings out that heart-pounding, mind-numbing fear I love so much. Fiction, I know of tons of books that can do this to me, but in movies it's only this one.

However, Mirrors, from just a few years ago, scared me pretty good too. I only got a night or two of sleeplessness from it, but it comes in second on my great horror flick list. Saddens me not to see them here, actually. :(
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:12:22 AM by Effie Collins »

I finally got 700 monkeys. Now all I need is 700 typewriters and some way to live for 700 years...

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 01:37:09 PM
Effie, you'll be glad to hear that The Exorcist will be in the Semifinals.  It was previously in Group 4 of these first round polls.  Mirrors, unfortunately, never did get on my master list of horror movies.

But I notice that you haven't voted in the actual poll yet.  There are still only 14 votes so far.  Voting ends tomorrow, so hurry while supplies last (or something like that).

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 02:32:06 PM
Well my vote for suspira is not lonely anymore at least

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 05:21:55 PM
Effie, you'll be glad to hear that The Exorcist will be in the Semifinals.  It was previously in Group 4 of these first round polls.  Mirrors, unfortunately, never did get on my master list of horror movies.

But I notice that you haven't voted in the actual poll yet.  There are still only 14 votes so far.  Voting ends tomorrow, so hurry while supplies last (or something like that).

Bolding mine... and did too, did too! I voted for four different ones. (I admit to voting before you gave me a prod, but I didn't know I could comment and now that I do know, I plan to go through all of them and see what was on them and let my opinions be known. It'll be a thread resurrection. ;)) Mirrors gave me the heebie-jeebies, but mirrors are a tender point with me anyhow. I don't have a clue why, except that the way they can waver and distort sometimes gives me a squicky feeling.

And I was wondering and am very happy to know my fave will be in the semis. The Exorcist was classic, man. Just good scare. I loved it! Can't watch it often if I want to sleep, but boy is it yummy.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 05:23:57 PM by Effie Collins »

I finally got 700 monkeys. Now all I need is 700 typewriters and some way to live for 700 years...

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 05:28:30 PM
Bolding mine... and did too, did too! I voted for four different ones. (I admit to voting before you gave me a prod, but I didn't know I could comment and now that I do know, I plan to go through all of them and see what was on them and let my opinions be known. It'll be a thread resurrection. ;))

:D Aha.  Yes, I was assuming that you had not voted before we traded messages yesterday.  Happy resurrecting, though the graves are fairly fresh.  :)

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 05:40:01 PM
;) Well, to be fair, I thought a new one had gone up till I followed the link you sent me. I'm still bringing up the dead, though. I love horror movies, even though most leave me wanting. Le sigh...