Author Topic: "You made me dress up as him!" (Discussion on current Doctor Who episodes)  (Read 31351 times)

eytanz

True :)

Though at this point, I've been messed around by TV networks enough that I always keep an eye out for an irregularities in the schedule of any program I'm following.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
The break is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.  Good to spread out the Who throughout the year a bit more.

Though the last episode didn't really impress me much.  The revelation was good, but it was one of the (three or so) guesses I had about that particular mystery.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
True :)

Though at this point, I've been messed around by TV networks enough that I always keep an eye out for an irregularities in the schedule of any program I'm following.

TiVo worries about the scheduling so I don't have to. It's a labor-saving device, like the Electric Monk  ;D

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Um... WTF?  ???

SRSLY Moffatt, I trusted you to pilot the ship and this is what you come up with?

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Um... WTF?  ???

SRSLY Moffatt, I trusted you to pilot the ship and this is what you come up with?

The problem I had with Demons Run is the "friends" he called in.  Surely he'd call in Captain Jack Harkness?  Moffatt seems to deny any existence of Torchwood or UNIT.  He also seems to be doing a lot of things that break canon and/or tradition. 

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

eytanz

Um... WTF?  ???

The problem I had with Demons Run is the "friends" he called in.  Surely he'd call in Captain Jack Harkness?  Moffatt seems to deny any existence of Torchwood or UNIT.  He also seems to be doing a lot of things that break canon and/or tradition. 

He has stated in numerous interviews that he tried to get Jack Harkness back but couldn't because of scheduling conflicts with the new Torchwood. Not sure what you mean about tradition - I've only started watching the series after its revival - but I don't believe that he broke canon in any unexplained ways (though he gave himself an easy out with last year's cracks in time).

eytanz

Oh, I should state that I really liked the last episode, even though I agree that the final revelation is not much of a revelation. But I think that's the point - it's a reveal that adds more questions than it answers. Answering "who are you?" with "well, my parents are" is not very informative, and there's a lot that still needs to fill in.

What I did appreciate about the last story is the nature of the doctor's darkest hour. It's not his darkest hour because his plans go wrong. It's his darkest hour because he finally realizes that in order to win, he no longer has to try anymore. This is a theme that was played with a lot in the Tenth doctor years as well - especially towards the end - but I thought here it was done a lot better. This isn't about the doctor becoming too arrogant or powerful. He's been doing the right things. But even in doing so, he's doing a lot of harm. If this is going to go where I think it's going to go then I think it's going to be very cool. Maybe it won't satisfy the fans of the earlier doctors - I can't say, because I came to this game way too late to be part of that. But I think that, though far from perfect - and while somewhat less compelling than the previous season  - I overall really like what this season is trying to do.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Who the hell was the fat blue guy? I thought he looked like Ian McNiece (who played Winston Churchill earlier).

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Who the hell was the fat blue guy? I thought he looked like Ian McNiece (who played Winston Churchill earlier).

He's been seen before.  River Song dealt with him at some point.  Can't remember the exact episode.

My wife corrected me.  It was back when Jack Harkness was showing up a lot, he bought something from the big fat blue man.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 01:39:23 PM by Gamercow »

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
So it all comes down to...

DOCTOR: "Hey, Amy, Rory, guess what... I'm gonna bang your daughter!"  :P

Sandikal

• Matross
So it all comes down to...

DOCTOR: "Hey, Amy, Rory, guess what... I'm gonna bang your daughter!"  :P

LOL! 

I didn't like the ending of the last episode at all.  In fact, I thought the whole episode was a mess.  I even watched it twice to make sure it wasn't something I missed.  I did love Rory in it though.  He was so cool in the Roman centurion getup.

eytanz

He's been seen before.  River Song dealt with him at some point.  Can't remember the exact episode.

My wife corrected me.  It was back when Jack Harkness was showing up a lot, he bought something from the big fat blue man.

Actually, you were right, not her - he first appeared in the penultimate episode of the previous series, and sold River a time travel device.

Gamercow

• Hipparch

Actually, you were right, not her - he first appeared in the penultimate episode of the previous series, and sold River a time travel device.

Yes, that's it.  He sold her a time travel wristband thing, very similar to Jack Harkness' device.  That's where the confusion came from.