Author Topic: So here's the deal...  (Read 49741 times)

eightpercent

• Extern
  • There are three sides to every story.
Reply #50 on: April 14, 2010, 12:06:36 PM
I only discovered Escape Pod last October and i have been frantically trying to go through them all before i got involved in any posts. I didn't want to miss anything before i got up to date
But i feel like i have to post now.
I'm sure nobody will begudge you the time off to enjoy your expanded family. I can only imagine what a new baby and a small son is like at night(!)
Take your time before coming back but do come back. As a visually impaired bibliophile i appreciate more than you could ever know what the podcasting community does, especially as i have a two hour each way commute to work.
The next time i post will pobably be next year as i am only up to "How I mounted Goldie..." and i still have Pseudopod and Podcastle to get through!

PS, sorry if this is a bit rambling and disjointed but it's my first time, be gentle with me.
 :)

skysadventure

• Extern
Reply #51 on: April 14, 2010, 12:47:36 PM
Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for all you have put in - the heart comes through so clearly in every podcast.  Juggling many demands is hard, and I'm sure it was not an easy decision to make, so congratulations on putting family and adorable little people first.  I'm a fairly new listener, and I've quickly gone back and downloaded the whole lot, and am slowly but very very happily working my way back to the present, with many WOW moments along the way. I'm sure the next person at the helm will take the pod in interesting new directions - you have set a high standard and left a great legacy! 

I'll miss your intros and listening out for how you make the creative commons speil interesting.  Today I listened to EP47, and the poetry version was fun!!

You have made me think about life, love, the planet, aliens and every thing in between, and given much joy - saying thanks seems inadequate, but its the word we have.
THANKS!
Sky

G. T. Blake

• Extern
  • Egad! Not again!
Reply #52 on: April 15, 2010, 03:52:40 PM
Steve-
This thread has made me finally break down and register so I could reply. That's how important this is to me. I have always had a difficult time following and posting to forums.
That said... On with the show.

You sir, are a class act.
Your initial excursion into the dark wilderness of podcasting has revolutionised the arena.
You started out with one audio fiction podcast and now have three, each with massive followings.
Each week your three children bring us, literally, the best in Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror, and I bless you for that.
You have found stories which have made me uncomfortable. Some made me cry. Heck, you publish a lot of Mike Resnik, so I did a lot of crying. Escape Pod brought me the universe of Union Blues. It has brought me to the heights of the future and into the depths of dystopia.
In short: you, Sir, have created a Juggernaut.

This is a good thing.

Take your time with the re-organisation, for you have created something with a life of its own. Escape Pod will continue to thrive and grow as long as Escape Artists follows the ideals you set forth originally with your first broadcast. Hosts and editors will come and go. New writers will submit their work. New listeners will subscribe.
PseudoPod and Pod Castle have proven this. As long as you remain, whether actively guiding Escape Pod, or watching quietly from the sidelines, Your creation will still bring us challenging, entertaining and provocative fiction.

I thank you, I thank your staff and I thank everyone who has been, is and will be involved with the production of all the Escape Artist 'casts. I will wait patiently, yet on tenterhooks, for the next edition of Escape Pod. It may take a month. It may take a year, or more. Either way, I have hope for I know the level of quality you inspire in other people.

As for the future, I leave you with this two word mantra oft-quoted by J. Michael Straczynski:
"Faith manages."

--G. T. Blake
(Whose long-winded posts are another reason he usually avoids forums...)

I am an incorrigible punster, filker and writer, addicted to RPGs and karaoke. Oh gods, the Humanity!
If you're on RuneScape say "How Do" to MacDubghaill.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #53 on: April 15, 2010, 04:02:29 PM
--G. T. Blake

That's barely winded for these parts.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

litarvan66

• Extern
  • Mostly Harmless
Reply #54 on: April 15, 2010, 05:20:50 PM
Ok, I am not really in the habit of speaking in online forums- I'm pretty much a lurker- this time, however, I felt I had to say something.  Great job Steve!  I am going to miss you, but as a family man myself kudos to you for your choice.
  Escape pod was the first podcast that I started listening to on a regular basis, and actually eagerly anticipated the coming episodes.  You really created something great.  Thank you.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #55 on: April 15, 2010, 09:05:17 PM
--G. T. Blake

That's barely winded for these parts.

YA SRSLY, for some around here, that's hardly even a pre-speech clearing of the throat  :D

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Teriblkev

• Extern
Reply #56 on: April 16, 2010, 03:12:15 AM
It was a zipped folder of PPC freeware I downloaded from Rapidshare.

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog
Reply #57 on: April 16, 2010, 05:47:45 PM
Future Steve Ealy: Everytime I think I'm out, they pull me back in!

We're not letting you leave. You will miss us. And we'll force you back. Wait and see.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 05:49:36 PM by alllie »

Korjim

• Extern
Reply #58 on: April 18, 2010, 02:43:43 AM
Steve,
  I am living overseas in Korea and your voice has many times kept me sane in an insane world.  I never joined a discussion before but I had to join this to tell you thanks for what you have created and started and I feel as though I am losing a friend by not hearing your voice these days.  I hope to hear you again in the future at least as a guest host.  Best luck in the future and keep us informed of any new books or the like so we can keep supporting you and following you in your life away from the mighty, magnificent and altogether awesome Escape Pod and its equally awesome sister podcasts.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #59 on: April 18, 2010, 03:06:09 AM
I'm just moving this message from enigmatica to the proper place:

Quote from: enigmatica
As much as I can't imagine EA without SE at the helm, I have to admit I admire your decision. I must echo the earlier sentiment that I hope to hear you introduce and/or narrate on occasion.   I trust you to find shoulders worthy of the mantle you've woven and sewn together here.  And, I am happy knowing that two more children in this world of absent parenting are facing a life filled with parents who are devoted to them. :)

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

sandbagr

• Extern
Reply #60 on: April 18, 2010, 04:24:43 AM
>>First things first: I am alive.  Family's doing well, including Harper:<<

That's all that matters and all I was worried about.   Don't sweat the small stuff.

Love to you and Anna and the kids.

nite krawler

• Extern
Reply #61 on: April 18, 2010, 09:01:39 AM
Where's the clipboard that I can sign up on for editing, producing, whatever... Perhaps with our energy's combined we can squeeze out a podcast or two. That said, Congrats Steve.  We wish you all the best.

Sandym

• Extern
Reply #62 on: April 18, 2010, 09:54:17 AM
Steve,

You are doing the right thing if that is how you feel. But don't be a stranger, you have real talent both as a narrator and an author and we will miss you.

Great baby photo!

SANDY

kagillogly

• Extern
Reply #63 on: April 18, 2010, 07:35:19 PM
Wow.  I figured something was up, since there'd been no EscapePods in (what felt to me) ages!

So glad to hear the family is newly expanded and healthy.

I'll never forget that first moment I put on the headphones and heard a Steve Ely story.  I was working at two universities; one on the South Side of Chicago, a long commute on the subway.  Through you, Steve, I got reconnected to sci fi literature - and I was truly introduced to this new media of podcasting.

And I have to say tht for years I was disappointed by other podcasts' production quality because I was spoiled by yours.  For instance, I dropped the New York Times podcasts because their sound quality was so muddy!  The American Anthropological Association could sure learn from you.  You are an artist of production as well as of writing and selecting literature.

I'll miss you something awful.  But you're doing the right thing.

Much love, from a lurker!  (Although we have some friends in common, so I hope to meet you in RL some day).

acpracht

• EA Staff
Reply #64 on: April 18, 2010, 10:24:33 PM
Steve, congratulations on the new one and we all understand your decision, even if we're extremely saddened by it.

To show my support for all that you and the Escape Pod team have done for all us Sci Fi addicts over the years, I'm making my first (albeit smaller than I would like) donation today.

This is still my favorite podcast, regardless of how long it's been since the last episode.

Good luck on getting everything transitioned over.

-Adam

Rain

• Matross
Reply #65 on: April 19, 2010, 10:21:16 AM
Going to be strange having Escape Pod with no Steve but i am sure we will manage :)

I just hope you get a single host, i think one of the things that has hurt Podcastle is that there are/were so many co-hosts.

cyberkrime

• Extern
Reply #66 on: April 19, 2010, 03:23:33 PM
Steve:

Things are fine with me, thanks for asking.  Frankly I'm VERY RELIEVED to hear that all is well with you.  When it dawned on me how long it's been since there was a new EP my first thought was that something was wrong, which is what lead me to the forums.  Well, if I had an adorable bouncing baby like the little one in the pic, I'd be overwhelmed too.  I'll be sorry as hell to see you go, but speaking as someone who's raised his kids to (at least the semblance) of adulthood, I have to commend you.  You've made a tough call.  I commend you on being willing to let go (for a while, not forever, I hope) for the good of all.  That can't have been easy. 
Let me just say a simple thank you.  EP has added something very positive to my life: A simple way to enjoy the SF that I've always loved even though taking time read (or even find) good SF isn't always on the menu for me. 
An episode of EP is like a ticket back to those Halcyon days of watching re-runs of Star Trek TOS on weekdays after school while my mother cooked dinner.   (She claims that though she's never seen an episode in her life, she's got them all committed to memory because she could hear the tv in the next room.)
Escape pod is aptly named because it does give me the ability to escape for half an hour or so and be that 8 year old glued to the TV, wondering if some day, maybe, could I possibly....?

That's a true gift that you've given me, and every EP listener.  Very few people people in this life contribute so much to the lives of strangers. 
Again, I thank you.   My best to you, your family, and everyone as Escape Artists.
Cyberkrime

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #67 on: April 19, 2010, 08:32:37 PM
Not to rain on the happy parade, but could someone PLEASE put a mention of this on the front page of escapepod.org, even if its just a link to this thread?  It wouldn't take that long.  "Escape Pod Update:  Look here"  Surely if Steve has enough time to read and reply to this thread, he can do that, or at the VERY least, delegate to someone. 

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #68 on: April 20, 2010, 03:03:54 AM
Not to rain on the happy parade, but could someone PLEASE put a mention of this on the front page of escapepod.org, even if its just a link to this thread?  It wouldn't take that long.  "Escape Pod Update:  Look here"  Surely if Steve has enough time to read and reply to this thread, he can do that, or at the VERY least, delegate to someone. 
Hey!  We were having a nice parade here, and now we're all wet!  For shame!
Joking aside, I agree that something should be posted where more will see.  This forum is secondhand to the website for most people I'm assuming.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Mister Freign

• Extern
  • Hungry Flower
Reply #69 on: April 20, 2010, 03:47:35 AM
Sort of cools enthusiasm creating a podcast - the podcast with the most gravitas in arguably the most important and supported genre of fiction in the medium ....... doesn't float at all?  Sigh.

abouttime

• Extern
Reply #70 on: April 20, 2010, 04:51:40 AM
Sort of cools enthusiasm creating a podcast - the podcast with the most gravitas in arguably the most important and supported genre of fiction in the medium ....... doesn't float at all?  Sigh.

There's a podcast?  What's that? To what podcast are you referring?  Escape Pod?  It is on hiatus.  I just check in here to read the fanmail.  Pitty that no one has updated the website.  ::: raises hand::: I have setup wordpress blogs and would be happy to volunteer to post an update?  Come on folks.... if you can twitter and post to forums you can type a sentence in wordpress.  I look at the Feb 28, 2010 and think "Every day that goes by this is slipping closer and closer to abdonment."
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 04:53:13 AM by abouttime »

WhiteShadow

• Extern
Reply #71 on: April 20, 2010, 05:54:44 AM
Live your life free of us nipping at your heels and know that you set great things in motion, changed many lives, donated many hours of entertainment, and did more than your part to change the world.

Here's to you, a hero of our generation.

"I'll live through this in a manner cursed at my own accord"
Coheed&Cambria

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #72 on: April 20, 2010, 06:02:16 AM
Thanks for all of your sincere concern about the hiatus announcement on the blog.  The announcement is long overdue.  However, news will be announced this week regarding how Escape Pod will be moving forward.  Since these developments will supercede the hiatus announcement, it is probably a moot issue at this point.

Steve announced his resignation 11 days ago.  Many details have had to be worked out (and still will be), but the entire Escape Artists team is working to make this transition as smooth as possible.  I understand members of the audience are restless, and that is appreciated, but please bear with us as we work through it.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

odyssehiss

• Extern
Reply #73 on: April 22, 2010, 04:26:29 AM
Steve,

Like many others, I have been lurking and have not posted much.  However, I wanted to thank you for your vision and your persistence with escape pod.  This little cast has transformed the way I live my life.  I can't say thank you enough - I already donate monthly!  I know many who struggle with the big questions in life, meaning and al that.  You should feel confident that you have made a huge impact on popular culture.  Escape pod is a game changer that is really a cultural meme.  You have created something wonderful.  Its totally cool to be the inventor and hand the business side over to others (Meg Whitman?).  Thanks again and I hope to meet you some day at some con some place.  You are truly one of my heros.

startrek.steve

• Palmer
Reply #74 on: April 22, 2010, 08:18:00 AM
Steve,
So sorry to hear your news, Ive listened to every single episode from EP01 and Ive laughed, cried and hurled (well maybe not the last one!) are all the Podcasts in limbo? or just EP? Good luck and love to your family, tough choice but you've got to put your family first. We're gonna miss you long time. Come back when you can spare an hour or two. There can  be only one......

Steve