Author Topic: So here's the deal...  (Read 49754 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #75 on: April 22, 2010, 02:44:24 PM
are all the Podcasts in limbo? or just EP?

Pseudopod and PodCastle are indepentantly run podcast, although still under the umbrella of Escape Artists, Inc.  Only Escape Pod is effected by STeve's departure.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

jcisuzu

• Extern
Reply #76 on: April 22, 2010, 03:47:12 PM
Congrats on the family addition!

Sorry to hear that you'll be stepping down, but quite honestly i've always wonderd how you did it... doing all you do with the level of quality that you do it must take ALOT of time! (i've got 2 kids, 4 y/o and 4 months, and i cant even find time to mow the lawn!)

Hope things calm down for you, AND THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!!!!!

zcarter80

• Extern
Reply #77 on: April 23, 2010, 04:43:58 AM
I know that the response to Steve's resignation (or impending resignation) has been mostly positive and im not going to deviate from the trend too much here, but i remember a time when he said he was getting burned out and Norm (from the drabblecast) came in for a bit and he seemed to get a 2nd (or 3rd) wind and went full steam ahead and i was glad for it. i cant say that it was the best thing for him, but in my own selfish way i know it was best for me, and i was fine with that. kind of like when you do what your significant other wants even though you cant stand it but you are certain it will make them happy (or shut them up) so you just keep going with it until you just cant. I think that we, or at least his love of the written and spoken word have been his needy girlfriend and he has enabled us not only because we needed him, but because he loved us so deeply and that's why he kept coming back. Im sure we will see him back here in the form of an intro, or voicing an episode or two, and even more after Harper learns to walk and talk and things equalize but i want him and all of you to know that i have loved every minute and what the podcast has represented if not every tale. i wouldn't trade it for the world and although others have copied the mold this was the prototype and has gotten steady user friendly upgrades as they have come along. so in the end of all i may have to say i just wanna tell Steve. . . Be found in the rain. Not abandoned but simply given to gentler arms and stronger hands so that as the rain falls you may be sheltered.  And if some day you find your way back to the arms of those that could not hold you, let them embrace you. On that day as the sun shines again in our hearts and the only rain are tears of joy that fall from adoring eyes.

goatkeeper

Reply #78 on: April 23, 2010, 07:01:19 AM
Keep the positive going.  This has been a weekly show for years, ... I'm sure even Steve will admit that the "official" heads up via webpage/podcast is overdue at this point.  no need to rub it in.
 C'mon, EP isn't getting unfairly canned by Fox!  The forces of good at EP are at work and exciting times are ahead.   Things'll settle and I reckon it's a good time to donate!
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=PyPakcu61ZjVXGW8FCMEoR2zBs-sIeonNkZSGC8sclmtoSOUSnoiS7d4zN0&dispatch=50a222a57771920b6a3d7b606239e4d529b525e0b7e69bf0224adecfb0124e9b5efedb82468478c6e115945fd0658595dbb4bda98e0c5f8e
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 02:31:15 PM by goatkeeper »

Sylvan

• Palmer
    • The Darken Hollow
Reply #79 on: April 23, 2010, 01:00:07 PM
Dear Steve,

You've brought me and so many others an avalanche of quality for years.  To see you leave...  Well, it's got me sad but your reasons are more than understandable.  Your wonderful new family addition is going to be a handful and the other issues you've been juggling are certainly worth your time to address in depth.  I don't know where I'll get my fix of your melodious tones and geek dad intros/outros but I'll make due.

I just hope this isn't the last we've heard of you.  While Escape Pod is, indeed, all about the stories a good portion of its special place in my heart -and, I would wager, everyone else's- is you.  In some way, shape, or form, I hope that you'll remain in our lives.  Of course that's the great part of the back catalog, isn't it?  I can return to the joys of previous episodes at any time I want, can't I?

Take care of yourself and be well, Steve.

And don't be a stranger, y'hear!  :)

Yours,
Sylvan (Dave)

kelleyfaye

• Extern
Reply #80 on: April 23, 2010, 06:13:13 PM
DAMN YOU ELEY!!  You selfish tool!

I'm done.  That's my gut reaction then I remember I'm 30 years old and looking to start a family pretty soon myself and echo all the lovin' that's slathered all over the page already.

Right call.  Good man.  Pretty kid.  Congrats and take care of yourself.  Thanks for the fun.

G. T. Blake

• Extern
  • Egad! Not again!
Reply #81 on: April 25, 2010, 03:20:28 PM
Just wanted to say one more thing, which is pretty much a no-brainer, but I still think it needs be said:

No matter who takes the slot as Host, (co-Host, Amorphous podcasting presenter life form with opposable mandibles, whatever the title...) Steve will always be the benchmark to which they will be compared. And yes, this is a daunting prospect for said person, because of how much of Steve we associate with the 'cast.

That said, the other EA podcasts have all gone through this and the replacements are not better (or worse!) than their predecessors. Just different. No one will truly replace Steve. They will be doing something more important: They will be carrying forward and adding their own essence to that which is already there.

I think that is the joy of how the other Pseudopod and  Pod Castle handled the transitions. No one attempted to replace or supplant the previous hosts. They simply carried on and carried forward. (So far none have tried to Carrie Nation, though a few Con pics show attempts at Carrie Fisher...)

I am waiting with bated (Baited, even braided if that were possible) breath for the news Swamp mentioned the other day. Excitement is in the air (or is that incitement in the hare. Ooo. I feel sorry for the rabbit....)

Gee, I better get to bed soon, or these parenthetical statements will start getting ludicrous. (Yes, yes, I know. Too latte, or too late even.)

--G. T. Blake
(Who never met a parenthetical statement he didn't like. Granted, I never met a parenthetical statement in the flesh, just metaphorically on paper.)

I am an incorrigible punster, filker and writer, addicted to RPGs and karaoke. Oh gods, the Humanity!
If you're on RuneScape say "How Do" to MacDubghaill.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #82 on: April 26, 2010, 05:15:06 PM
I just wanted to update that there is a new post up on the blog.  This simply contains the opening post in this thread from Steve, and then adds the following:

Escape Pod will be back up and running May 12 (which, incidentally, is our 5 year anniversary/birthday/thingie). Also, we will be closed to submissions until July 1. If you do not hear from us by then, feel free to resubmit.

We’ll be announcing the new editor shortly, until then, thank you for your patience, your support, and your concern.

Also there is a new Escape Pod specific twitter feed.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

winterdragon

• Extern
Reply #83 on: April 27, 2010, 01:56:06 AM
Hi, I'm another long time listener who hasn't previously bothered with the forums, but who's been motivated to register just to add a voice to the chorus of support for Steve.

It must be a difficult and painful decision to let go of something that you've invested so much blood, sweat and soul into, but I think it's grown up to be big enough and ugly enough to look after itself and continue to grow. And to crush all who dare stand in it's path toward world domination... oops, just ignore that last bit.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you for creating something that's meant a lot to me personally over the last five years, and that has done it's own small part in making the world a better place. It's a credit to Steve that the original format of the podcast hasn't really needed to change since it's inception, and has been imitated by other podcasts. Escape Pod also proved the viability of the original business model, which was something of a leap of faith at the time.

Hopefully Steve will find time to return and do the odd intro here and there, because they rock, although I have to admit that Alasdair's outros at Pseudopod rock just as hard. To all the others who work tirelessly to make the Escape Artists podcasts the best of breed - you all rock as well!

May Escape Pod, Pseudopod, and Podcastle live long and prosper, to infinity and beyond! 

And to Steve, have fun!!

Schreiber

• Peltast
Reply #84 on: April 27, 2010, 03:46:26 AM
I don't think I'm speaking out of turn when I say you aren't simply an amazing host, editor, reader, and writer. You've been on the forefront of a literary renaissance and we are all going to miss you for however long you're away.

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #85 on: April 27, 2010, 03:04:39 PM
Thank you for putting up the notice.  It is much appreciated.

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Hitchhiker

• Extern
Reply #86 on: April 27, 2010, 08:28:30 PM
Sad to see you go Steve. Thanks for all the stories!

Kyoritsu

• Extern
Reply #87 on: April 28, 2010, 01:08:51 AM
it's cool man we love you, and I for one will simply appreciate your return when ever it happens to be.

Thomas Daulton

• Matross
Reply #88 on: April 28, 2010, 03:41:50 AM
Another [relatively] longtime listener, infrequent poster writing to thank you.  I think, I really believe, I really hope that Steve has created something bigger than himself here [no, I'm not referring to Harper, but congratulations in that department too].  It seems to me like Escape Pod has a lot of talented people contributing at this point.  We've passed the point, [I pray], where Escape Pod might be another one of those flash-in-the-pan free content sites that fold and vanish when donations run low for a couple weeks.  It seems more like an institution, a tradition, by now.  So I am hoping that Steve will come back frequently and contribute, because I enjoy his commentary and his voice.  But on the other hand, I am looking forward to watching Escape Pod grow, change, metastasize, mutate, and absorb and subjugate all lifeforms on Earth like the Blob in that 50's movie.  Thanks, Steve, hope to see you again here real soon, even if it's only for visits.

"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost." --J.R.R. TOLKIEN

smellmyhead

• Extern
Reply #89 on: April 28, 2010, 04:56:16 AM
Thank you, Steve.  For bringing us Escape Pod, and for choosing to take care of yourself.  That's not an easy choice, but it sure sounds like the right one to me.

redonwhite

• Extern
Reply #90 on: April 29, 2010, 01:18:41 AM
Dear Steve,

My name is Pawel, I am from Warsaw, Poland, I live in Tokyo, Japan and I have been listening to your podcast for a long time - and I've greatly enjoyed it. It helped me relax and relieve stress many times. I just registered on the forum to send this message.

Today I want to say that you don't owe us anything, you have created a great thing and even if Escape Pod was never to be aired again, and the website and all podcasts was to go down tomorrow, even if your resignation meant the complete and definitive end of Escape Pod, none of us would hold that against you, because you have already done a great job. You owe us nothing. We owe you.

Everything that has a beginning, has an end, Neo! No dharmas ever last (how is your Buddhist meditation? :) ). That said, I'm happy that others will be stepping up, and I hope they will be as inspired as you were. I'm pledging $100 if you ever podcast anything by Stanislaw Lem :)

Anyway, live your life and put your energy where you feel it is needed. Also, nice baby :)

stripes

• Extern
Reply #91 on: April 30, 2010, 08:14:02 PM
Hey steve, I wish you all the best, and am really glad your long "radio silence" wasn't something permanently dire.

That said, I hope you at least do a guest intro here and there.

hughman

• Extern
Reply #92 on: May 01, 2010, 01:35:41 AM
Hey Steve,
I just want to say that your choice of story and the people you had narrate them opened up doors for me, as I am sure it opened up doors to previously unseen vistas for others. You will be missed.  You have your kids now.  However I really hope that this kid grows and grows as it should. Escape Pod started as a pod cast, it is now a pod community and so it should go on and on. Here's to the next five years.

Dem

• Lochage
  • aka conboyhillfiction.wordpress.com
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill
Reply #93 on: May 01, 2010, 02:24:43 PM
I have to say I was a little worried about you. Professional habit; you'd talked about your particular demons and I'm familiar with how that story goes sometimes. So it's good to hear you're still up and running and with enough in reserve to think rationally about the best way forward. You've set up a portal to hours of pleasure here for those of us with voracious SF appetites, and you've given many (sadly, not me yet!) an opportunity to have our own product placed in front of a discerning audience. Take care of yourself, recharge and then do what feels right.  :)

Science is what you do when the funding panel thinks you know what you're doing. Fiction is the same only without the funding.

puremovic

• Extern
Reply #94 on: May 02, 2010, 02:05:25 AM
It's a tribute to Steve to see how many of us have registered an visited the boards explicitly just to wish Steve well  :) Testimony to a job well done!

I've looked forward to this podcast for ...jeepers.... years and still do. At first, I was kind of stunned about the news. Now, I'm okay with it. It's hard to say goodbye to a friend. And weird to say that about I guy I have never met, but know and admire.

Good times, Mr. Ely. Cheers.

SGAcreative

• Extern
Reply #95 on: May 02, 2010, 03:02:21 AM
Steve:

As everyone's said, THANK YOU for years of absolutely first-rate stories, equal parts intriguing and mysterious and inspiring and just plain weird.  Escape Pod is absolutely brilliant, week after week, and I can only hope that the future host(s) will live up to your extraordinary standard.

On a personal note, THANK YOU also for the leap of faith you took the first time you let me read a story for you--and for giving me the room to experiment and grow as a narrator over the years.  I've learned so, SO much from you, from the other narrators you've brought us, and from the thoughtful feedback on the forums (which, again, goes right back to the calibre of listeners your work has attracted).

All the best to you and the family--and to Harper, rock on!

Steve Anderson

AKKA

• Extern
Reply #96 on: May 02, 2010, 06:02:19 PM
Dear Steve.

This is Andrea, from Italy. I had been looking for something on which to practice my English listening, when I found your podcast, and then I realized I had found something worth listening to. Well, my skills are not yet that good, and so far I've only gone through a limited number of tales, and the archives are still there for me to listen to. So, I'm lucky.

So, in brief, I've just registered to the forums because I wanted to say thank you.

jundar

• Extern
Reply #97 on: May 03, 2010, 07:40:22 PM
Dear Steve,
thank you for this long, strange trip. Escape Pod was the first podcast I listened to and has always been the first in my playlist for as long as I can remember. As some previous commenator already mentioned, you've started as a voice for most of us and have become a regular, trusted and beloved companion through the strange world of scifi audio.

You have given us so much of your time and creativity, and it was a real pleasure waiting for your trademark lines every time. The impact of EP and EA on the podcast scene is tremendous, and will surely continue to be so.

From a personal point of view: good choice, and you will never regret it! :)
from Germany: jundar

If you think technology can solve your problems you don't understand technology and you don't understand your problems. (Bruce Schneier)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #98 on: May 04, 2010, 05:21:08 PM
...That said, the other EA podcasts have all gone through this and the replacements are not better (or worse!) than their predecessors. Just different. No one will truly replace Steve. They will be doing something more important: They will be carrying forward and adding their own essence to that which is already there.

I think that is the joy of how the other Pseudopod and  Pod Castle handled the transitions. No one attempted to replace or supplant the previous hosts. They simply carried on and carried forward.

Pseudopod, yes, but Podcastle never had a "transition" because there never was one regular host.  Although it seems there has been a transition of sorts, since we've gone from a rotation of hosts to having DKT be the regular host with an occasional guest host stepping in.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #99 on: May 04, 2010, 05:30:38 PM
...That said, the other EA podcasts have all gone through this and the replacements are not better (or worse!) than their predecessors. Just different. No one will truly replace Steve. They will be doing something more important: They will be carrying forward and adding their own essence to that which is already there.

I think that is the joy of how the other Pseudopod and  Pod Castle handled the transitions. No one attempted to replace or supplant the previous hosts. They simply carried on and carried forward.

Pseudopod, yes, but Podcastle never had a "transition" because there never was one regular host.  Although it seems there has been a transition of sorts, since we've gone from a rotation of hosts to having DKT be the regular host with an occasional guest host stepping in.

True, though Podcastle had the editorial transition, which is also happening here.  In this case the host was also the editor, so it's a dual role this time.