Author Topic: PC100: Remembrance Is Something Like A House  (Read 14862 times)

FireTurtle

• Hipparch
Reply #25 on: May 18, 2010, 03:42:06 PM
All I have to say is Phooey. It took me out of myself while I was dirving around in the rain on a bad and frustrating day. Mission accomplished. Thanks, House.

“My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.”
Ursula K. LeGuin

Chuk

• Lochage
Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 04:41:46 PM
All I have to say is Phooey.

Is that "Phooey" like "Phooey on this story" or "Phooey" like "Phooey on the negative comments"?

--
chuk

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 04:58:13 PM

Is that "Phooey" like "Phooey on this story" or "Phooey" like "Phooey on the negative comments"?

From context of the rest of the post, it sounds like the latter.

FireTurtle

• Hipparch
Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 05:23:39 PM

From context of the rest of the post, it sounds like the latter.

That would be, for the record, "Phooey on the negative comments" Not a phooey to those of you who didn't like it, just a phooey as a mental shield against the negativity that threatens to sap the love I have of this tale.

“My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.”
Ursula K. LeGuin

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #29 on: May 21, 2010, 04:27:48 PM
Such a bittersweet story! I was rooting for the house as it made its slow progress across the USA, and I loved how its history was slowly revealed. The end felt a little ambiguous, but I like to think that Julian did indeed see the blood, and thus the opportunity to clear his name. Nice!

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 10:26:34 PM
There are a couple at PP, at least. Furnace Room Lullaby, I think. And...I feel like there's at least one other, though it's not coming to mind...

I really enjoyed Furnace Room Lullaby and would be a good intro for the Podcastle curious.

Bone Mother is a Baba Yaga tale that gave good screen time to the house which is a fairly developed character. Also a good story for Podcastle denizens to wander over and check out.

PP041 was a different baba Yaga tale, but not nearly as good, and I don't recall the house being anything but a setting piece. I don't think there are any other sentient house stories. Sure, there are haunted places, but I don't see that as quite the same thing.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #31 on: March 07, 2011, 08:44:05 PM
For those of you who enjoyed this story and would like to read more by the author, Will Ludwigsen has started writing a story a week on his blog, based on images that are randomly (or at least arbitrarily) selected, that he then gives himself one hour to write about.

As I write, there are seven of them.  While many of them have enough of a creep factor that I believe they would appeal to Pseudopod listeners, they also have a strong fantasy aspect about them that Podcastle listeners would enjoy as well.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham