Author Topic: STAR TREK XI  (Read 39433 times)

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #50 on: March 09, 2007, 02:25:34 AM
The dolphins was a new spin, but I'd say the idea  of making animals as smart as humans had been arround since Flowers for Algenon (I know I spelled that wrong) which I think was written in 1959.

I thought it was Aesop.  >8->

(Oh.  No, wait -- he made animals as dumb as humans.  Never mind.)

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Startrekwiki

Reply #51 on: March 09, 2007, 01:48:05 PM
The dolphins was a new spin, but I'd say the idea  of making animals as smart as humans had been arround since Flowers for Algenon (I know I spelled that wrong) which I think was written in 1959.

Surely a lot of them wouldn't be extinct if they had been as smart as us. Then again, we would probably be extinct as a species if they were smarter.

Russell Nash

Reply #52 on: March 09, 2007, 08:51:22 PM

Surely a lot of them wouldn't be extinct if they had been as smart as us. Then again, we would probably be extinct as a species if they were smarter.

The feature that truly put us out ahead was the opposable thumb. There could have been many genius species (maybe two), that couldn't pick up the stick to make their first tool.

zagboodle

• Extern
    • zagboodle's podcasty goodness
Reply #53 on: March 10, 2007, 04:11:50 PM
Won't matter.  We'll see it, anyway. ;)

That may be part of the problem (though probably not the biggest part).  It may be a gross oversimplification, but maybe Paramount knows they've got a built in audience that will watch the movies no matter how shitty the last one was and the new one looks.  Plus, they're going for the most mainstream (and lucrative) audience possible, which generally means a lowest-common-denominator approach.

No, what needs to happen is this: the instant Battlestar Galactica has run its course, Ron Moore & company need to work their magic on the Trek universe.  Sweep away everything that has gone before and reboot the whole thing.  And get Katee Sackhoff to play the captain of whichever version of the Enterprise they go with.

"The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle.  The flagon from the dragon has the brew that is true.  It's so easy, I can say it!"

"Well then YOU fight him!"

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #54 on: March 10, 2007, 04:25:24 PM

That may be part of the problem (though probably not the biggest part).  It may be a gross oversimplification, but maybe Paramount knows they've got a built in audience that will watch the movies no matter how shitty the last one was and the new one looks.  Plus, they're going for the most mainstream (and lucrative) audience possible, which generally means a lowest-common-denominator approach.

No, what needs to happen is this: the instant Battlestar Galactica has run its course, Ron Moore & company need to work their magic on the Trek universe.  Sweep away everything that has gone before and reboot the whole thing.  And get Katee Sackhoff to play the captain of whichever version of the Enterprise they go with.

You make a vexing point; as a fan, I keep going back because even though they made Star Trek V, they also made First Contact.  (Your opinion is welcome to vary, but I loathed the former and loved the latter.)  They also made ST:TNG season 2, yet recovered to make DS9 seasons 5&6.

And, keeping in mind that all things are relative, Star Wars Ep III was a drastic improvement over Ep I (though I would have re-edited the order of the scenes in the third act so that the characters actually had motivation for their actions).  We go because they created a universe we fell in love with at some point, and they occasionally still give us something worth seeing in that universe.

It's kind of like the phenomenon of the familiar in restaurant franchising; we claim to hate McDonald's food (in our house, at least), but when we're out on the highway, and desperate for a place to eat, we'll choose the familiar arches over "Joe's Armpit BBQ" most of the time.  Joe's may be better, but if we don't know that, we won't necessarily take the risk; studios and publishers know this, which is why there are so many franchises out there.

Gawd, economic realities are depressing.   :P  I reiterate: this is why I'm rooting for the Escape Pod format to take off.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Russell Nash

Reply #55 on: March 10, 2007, 08:32:11 PM

Or maybe a BSG movie. I don't know what the story arc for the series is supposed to be, but I'm sure there's something in the universe that would make a good movie.