Author Topic: PC095: Fulgurite  (Read 15609 times)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 04:23:19 PM
And yet there are limits, presumably.  I can't imagine PodCastle would run a story whose theme was, "Racial differences are insurmountable, and no matter how hard they try, non-white people can never be as good as white people," for instance.

I was also troubled by the thematic underpinnings of this story, but I tend not to take it the extra step and complain about "promoting X," where X is a philosophical construct I dislike or disagree with.  I voiced my qualms about the themes and left it at that.  However, I think "They're just stories" is a disingenuous defense at best, as is "They'd be limiting themselves if they only wrote from one political agenda."

Editors have opinions.  Editors have biases.  Pretending that it's an open free-for-all and there's no way to control what sort of themes or messages one chooses to publish would be dishonest.  The REASON we have editors, in fact, is to provide a filter for the content.  Pretending to total political/moral/ethical objectivity would make for a poor magazine/book/podcast, and the idea of someone disclaiming responsibility on those grounds is troubling to me.  I think it's quite fair to hold an editor accountable for the morals, philosophies, and ethics outlined in the works they choose to publish.

Please note I'm not calling for censorship.  I'm not even calling for an open response and justification from the editors of PodCastle either in general or in this particular case.  I do want to make it clear, though, that one can and should hold editors in general responsible for the moral teachings their publications endorse.  That can mean directly addressing them, ceasing to patronize their publications, or publicly voicing one's anger/disappointment/dismay.

eytanz

Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 04:48:45 PM
I think, on this issue, we need to return to some excellent advice given by Marie Brennan in a slightly different context, which is evaluating an author's biases: "I try never to judge an author on a single piece". The same, I believe, applies to editors and their putative political agendas.

If a story takes a position that bothers you, the question is - is this position taken by other stories in podcastle? Are opposing positions also allowed a voice? Which is more common? I would argue that very few stories in the history of podcastle aspoused an explicitly sex-negative position, so I think it's quite premature to talk of Podcastle promoting such a position.

And furthermore, even when judging the story itself, one should seperate the position of a character and the position of the story. The main character in this story has obvious problems with sex, but telling a story about (and from the viewpoint of) a person who has issues with a topic doesn't automatically translate to being anti- that topic. In this case, while the main character clearly had some serious issues, I did not feel that the story promoted those issues as being healthy. And I didn't get the sense that she was viewing sex as an obligation, or as something she has to give a man without getting anything out of it. Yes, she was scared of it, but my interpretation of the story was that her driving force was to get past the fear and into enjoying sex, not to give up her own emotions in lieu of those of her boyfriend. I can fully see that the "sex-negative" interpretation is a valid one for the story, but I don't think it is the only one by any means. I am willing to bet that the Podcastle editors didn't consider that to be the main reading of the story when they accepted it.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 05:23:02 PM
And yet there are limits, presumably.  I can't imagine PodCastle would run a story whose theme was, "Racial differences are insurmountable, and no matter how hard they try, non-white people can never be as good as white people," for instance.

I think that might end up on Pseudopod, though... it's a kind of horror, if you think about it: racism actually being valid? Pretty horrid to me.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 09:31:40 PM
Indeed, eytanz; I hesitate to put words in anyone's mouth, author or editor, and I think this story is open enough to interpretation that it would be hard to conclude much of anything concrete from it.

Nonetheless, the implicit assumptions about the nature of sex are present in the story, if their precise purpose may be a little muddled.  I do think it's worth talking about what it means that they're there; I like a good bean-plating so long as we can avoid vituperation and accusation of thoughtcrime.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 01:38:50 PM
I think, on this issue, we need to return to some excellent advice given by Marie Brennan in a slightly different context, which is evaluating an author's biases: "I try never to judge an author on a single piece". The same, I believe, applies to editors and their putative political agendas.

Good advice. 

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #30 on: May 05, 2010, 12:53:55 AM
I didn't buy this one, and have no particular attachment to the story (which isn't my cup of tea, actually).

Just wanted to mention that Vylar Kaftan is radically sex-positive. The curious might check out her BDSM science fiction story, "Kill Me," http://transcriptase.org/fiction/kaftan-vylar-kill-me/ , which is all about consent and sexual excitement and the boundaries of those things.

I don't think this story has a sex-negative message--I've heard it a couple of times, through various channels, and have always heard it as "virgin worries about sex, has sex, realizes she was fussing over something that's much more mundane than she thought." I expect this is the intended reading, on account of knowing Vylar pretty well--although I haven't talked to her about it, and I also don't know how Anna or Dave read the story.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #31 on: May 05, 2010, 01:20:50 AM
I was assuming that wasn't the intended message because of what I knew about Vylar Kaftan's other works.  It was just the utter lack of agency in this particular story that bothered me.  I'm sure, taken as a part of her ouevre, it makes sense and fits well; it is interesting (to me) how much this story recapitulates the idea of sex as a sacrifice or a gift from the female to the male.  I wonder if that was intended subversively (i.e. "This is why virgin girls fear sex") or was just an inadvertent didn't-think-about-it-too-hard relic of modern culture.  I'd be interested to hear Ms. Kaftan's take on it.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #32 on: May 11, 2010, 02:37:40 PM
I can't believe it took me this long to remember Ixion from Final Fantasy X... a unicorn with the power of lightning!

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #33 on: May 12, 2010, 01:31:21 PM
LOL, stePH!
It doesn't look like a beetle though.  And where are the naked face people?  ;)

yicheng

• Matross
Reply #34 on: May 18, 2010, 06:36:39 PM
I thought the story was a bit confusing, but not bad.  I didn't really understand the lightning as sex metaphor.  Maybe it's just me being a boy, but my first time was neither as bad as getting struck by lightning, nor as good as getting struck by lightning.  I just remembered a lot of awkwardness, being really really nervous, and trying to get certain parts lined up right.

On an off-topic, I do love Ms Kaftan's inclusion of the awesome Arizona Monsoons.  I know exactly which mountain she was talking about too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Mountains_(Arizona)

The South Mountain TV towers' red lights are visible at just about any location in the Phoenix valley, and yes it used to be "the place" for people to go up and "park".   During the major thunderstorms, the towers probably get hit hundreds of times by lightning.  The TV tower area is mostly fenced off, although you can easily crawl under them if you don't mind getting dirty.  It's now closed after sunset, and you'll get hassled by the police if you try to park up there when it's dark. 

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #35 on: May 20, 2010, 01:48:17 PM
I thought the story was a bit confusing, but not bad.  I didn't really understand the lightning as sex metaphor.  Maybe it's just me being a boy, but my first time was neither as bad as getting struck by lightning, nor as good as getting struck by lightning.  I just remembered a lot of awkwardness, being really really nervous, and trying to get certain parts lined up right.

That's just one of those biological differences.  A man losing his virginity isn't normally painful, just awkward and nervewracking.  Which is presumably why the guy was much more interested in it instead of making up lightning unicorns.

byealion

• Extern
  • I would like to exceptional. I wish I was made of
Reply #36 on: May 22, 2010, 09:57:01 AM
I don't know. I liked this story It was kind of hot. If i can speak freely being a virgin and a girl, I found her fear understandable, believable  and even familiar. Well, at least it was more believable then finding a guy that would wait. (jk im just cynic)  But all in all i thought the language was beautiful the diction was obviously carefully though over, but had an poetic effortless flow.