Author Topic: Best Horror Movie Ever Poll - Group 10 of 10  (Read 5003 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: April 16, 2010, 06:30:38 PM
The Birds and The Sixth Sense will join the ranks of the worthy ones.

Well, this is it--the last group in the first round of polls.  Who will be in the Terrible Twenty?  In two weeks, we will have the tie-breaker poll for the undetermined second place winners, and then it is on to the semifinals.  But first, please vote from these fine selections.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 12:39:58 AM
This seems like a pretty weak group.  I guess I enjoyed Creepshow...

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 01:05:07 AM
Have you seen ONIBABA and FREAKS?

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 01:57:24 AM
This seems like a pretty weak group.  I guess I enjoyed Creepshow...

there's nothing weak about 'The Others', that was an awesome film.

And personally Paranormal Activity scared the crap out of me (but I am willing to allow opinions vary widely on this one)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 04:30:12 AM
I have seen Freaks, and gave it a vote.  A good film, but not really up to the level of some of the other groups.

I admit I haven't seen Onibaba or The Others.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 03:14:01 PM
had to give a vote to Creepshow, while not all of the segments were scary, almost all provoked a reaction.  From the humorous King cameo "Eww!  Meteor Shit" to the insects bursting out of the Guys throat each segment provided something.

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 06:01:37 PM
A little love for The Others and It's Alive.

I finally got 700 monkeys. Now all I need is 700 typewriters and some way to live for 700 years...

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 05:23:22 AM
I watched "Paranormal Activity" with the Rifftrax and I was still bored.  I think the movie was pretty badly weakened by having such total douches for main characters.  Any empathy I had for Kate was lost in her increasing alienation and antisocial behavior, and Micah just needed a hard punch to the gonads.  "Micah Gets Crotch-Punched" would have been a far more entertaining movie, in my mind, though admittedly not nearly so frightening.

SPOILER SPOILER

I did enjoy the subtle horror.  (The picture in the attic was particularly nice.)  The ending sucked on toast, though.  Boo hiss on heading for the obvious 'scare' instead of doing something really inexplicable and/or otherworldly.  I mean, a bloody knife?  Really, movie?  And then a bunch of text about how they were "never seen again?"  Talk about a letdown.  It's like watching a guy doing all sorts of cool riffs and shuffles with his cards, showing some real skill at manipulation, and he builds up to his trick... and the actual card trick turns out to be the old "sneak a look at the bottom card, cut the deck to the middle, and 'find' the chosen card by turning the deck over and looking through it."

(In my head, "Paranormal Activity" ends with Kate leaving, just as she did, and then Micah gets yanked out, and then the footsteps approach... slowly... and then the door slams shut on the darkness, and the camera just keeps rolling until fade out.  No stupid knife.  No text about what happened after that.  I'd have liked the movie despite the horrifically annoying characters if it had ended like that.)

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 12:13:51 AM
Less than a day left to vote...

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 02:43:50 PM
Less than a day left to vote...

Sorry, I got ahead of myself.  Voting ends tomorrow.  More time to vote.