Author Topic: We have a crit group you can join  (Read 53274 times)

eytanz

Reply #50 on: April 11, 2015, 02:09:47 PM
Since I've missed some posts on this thread lately, and the initial post was misleading, I want to confirm what SpareInch said - the current way to request to join the group is to message me.

HeartSailor

• Palmer
    • My Hobby
Reply #51 on: August 10, 2015, 11:56:22 AM
Dumb question, but I don't know how these things work.  I've written a little piece for the upcoming Pseudopod Flash fiction contest- is it cool to post for the crit group?  Or is that a possible breach of etiquette?

I'm very new at this (OK, this is my first crack at writing anything like this), so I want to learn and get feedback but I also don't want to do anything I'm not supposed to do.

Thanks!

HS

What can we gain by sailing to the moon if we are not able to cross the abyss that separates us from ourselves? This is the most important of all voyages of discovery, and without it, all the rest are not only useless, but disastrous.  Thomas Merton

Varda

• Rebound
  • Hipparch
  • Definitely not an android.
Reply #52 on: August 10, 2015, 02:19:46 PM
HeartSailor, if this is a story you want to enter into the flash contest, then I'd recommend you don't post it in the EA crit group. While you're certainly allowed to have people crit your entry ahead of time, anyone who knows your identity as the author will be disqualified from voting for that piece, since the contest is supposed to be anonymous. And since a lot of forumites have access to the crit group, you'd be cutting out a lot of potential voters before the contest even starts.

That said, one of the wonderful things about the flash contest is that people generally give lots of useful feedback when they read the entries, so if you don't win, you can revise it after the fact.

Medical Microfiction: Stories About Science
http://rckjones.wordpress.com

HeartSailor

• Palmer
    • My Hobby
Reply #53 on: August 10, 2015, 03:14:52 PM
Perfect!

Thank you.  It will be a learning process!

HS

What can we gain by sailing to the moon if we are not able to cross the abyss that separates us from ourselves? This is the most important of all voyages of discovery, and without it, all the rest are not only useless, but disastrous.  Thomas Merton

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #54 on: August 10, 2015, 10:59:52 PM
HS -- I feel it's worth noting that the FFC feedback can sometimes be... robust. I'm not saying folks will rip you apart -- that doesn't happen here -- but some of it can be blunt. Be prepared, but don't be afraid :) It's all good.

Anthony Creamer

• Matross
Reply #55 on: October 03, 2015, 05:03:10 PM
And since a lot of forumites have access to the crit group, you'd be cutting out a lot of potential voters before the contest even starts.

How many people are in the writing group these days? I read through earlier posts in this thread where numbers seemed to be an issue and I am curious.

I'm assuming the group encompasses more than just the three genres of the escape artists podcasts or do members stick to those genres?

Kabal

• Matross
Reply #56 on: October 03, 2015, 06:49:53 PM
I guess the real question is how many active members are there. It's been slow lately but off the top of my head: me, windup, Spareinch, gunsofchekovia and sunkist_sudafed.

Unblinking is always around lurking I think.

Let me know if I've missed anyone.

As far as I know, no genre restrictions.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 06:52:42 PM by Kabal »

SpareInch

• Hipparch
  • Will there be sugar after the rebellion?
Reply #57 on: October 03, 2015, 09:08:38 PM
And since a lot of forumites have access to the crit group, you'd be cutting out a lot of potential voters before the contest even starts.

How many people are in the writing group these days? I read through earlier posts in this thread where numbers seemed to be an issue and I am curious.

I'm assuming the group encompasses more than just the three genres of the escape artists podcasts or do members stick to those genres?

I have no idea how many forumites have access to the crit group, but any forum member is welcome, and I know that all the moderators and all past and present EA editors on the forum have access.

Just at the moment, the group is pretty quiet, but the more the merrier as far as I am concerned. Post, and it will be critiqued. In the past I think only spec fic was posted there, but if the critters don't object, then, well, they don't object. There is a thread in the Crit Group where you can ask them.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 09:10:53 PM by SpareInch »

Fresh slush - Shot this morning in the Vale of COW

archaevist

• Peltast
Reply #58 on: January 14, 2016, 04:42:24 AM
I'd love to join the crit group!

ZekeSixsmith

• Peltast
Reply #59 on: March 27, 2016, 01:45:00 PM
I would also like to join the critique group please!

aliceingoreland

• Extern
Reply #60 on: April 29, 2016, 09:27:53 PM
I want a story to read.

aliceingoreland

• Extern
Reply #61 on: April 29, 2016, 09:31:10 PM
I would also like to join the critique group please!

Got a story to read?

aliceingoreland

• Extern
Reply #62 on: April 29, 2016, 09:33:03 PM
Ooh ooh me. I want to join. Me.

Do you have a story to read?

SpareInch

• Hipparch
  • Will there be sugar after the rebellion?
Reply #63 on: April 30, 2016, 05:44:01 AM
I want a story to read.

You have to critique them as well as read them. Crit Group isn't just a source of free fiction. But if you do want to critique, then I'm sure we'll all look forward to seeing you in there. :)

Fresh slush - Shot this morning in the Vale of COW

PatrickAzimuth

• Extern
Reply #64 on: October 26, 2017, 05:58:16 PM
Hi! I was so excited when I found this - have been looking for some form of critique group - physical or virtual - but so far without luck. And also reading my way into knowing more about the publishing side of SF. Is this group still active? If so I would love to join and am definitely down for A, B and plenty of C. Thanks!

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." - Oscar Wilde

Not-a-Robot

Reply #65 on: October 27, 2017, 08:38:10 PM
Hi! I was so excited when I found this - have been looking for some form of critique group - physical or virtual - but so far without luck. And also reading my way into knowing more about the publishing side of SF. Is this group still active? If so I would love to join and am definitely down for A, B and plenty of C. Thanks!

Hi Patrick,

Yes, the group is active. Send a private message to Eytanz or another moderator to join.

PatrickAzimuth

• Extern
Reply #66 on: October 27, 2017, 09:31:10 PM
Great - thanks Not-a-Robot, will do.

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." - Oscar Wilde

LinkP

• Palmer
    • Link Parish Blog
Reply #67 on: April 01, 2020, 01:33:21 PM
I'll be joining once I get my forum legs under me.  :)

"Do you think that two sick, twisted trees ever made Bonsai out of each other?" - Ted Sturgeon