Author Topic: Hey! I'm opening a new market!  (Read 4748 times)

AmoryLowe

• Extern
on: January 18, 2007, 03:41:28 AM
So, none of you have heard of me probably (okay, most definitely not), but I'm starting up a Podcast.

I'm an aspiring fiction writer myself, and after having so many rejection letters piled up along with one acceptance (although the anthology it went out in never came out because the publisher of the antho went down), I've decided to open up a fiction market, and it's going to be a podcast.

Why podcasting? Well, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I love the sound of my own voice, but there are more precedents for doing it (probably not, but humor me).

I originally found out about Podcasting when I was browsing on Ralan.com looking for some fiction markets when I came across Escape Pod.

Podcasting? What the hell is podcasting?

I decided to check it out. The first three episodes of escape pod were up by then. I downloaded my podcatcher and began listening.

I was hooked.

I moved from the weekly adventures of Escape Pod onto Podcast novels. I started with Scott Sigler's "Earthcore" then moved on to "The Pocket and the Pendant".

Needless to say, I love the idea. I loved the idea of old time radio dramas, and this only brought back pleasant memories.

Back to the subject at hand, I'm starting a Podcast fiction market. I think there are too few of them, and hopefully I can help remedy that.

Not to infringe on Escape Pod's hold of the short fiction market (Actually, they pretty much own it, so it's my plus for not having to compete with them on their level), this podcast, titled "The Great Beyond" is going to be serializing fiction. I love longer fiction in the order of ten thousand to twenty thousand words, so that's what I'll be narrating (Once I get this podcast established, I will hope for guest readers, but that's in the pretty far future).

I know that two or more heads are better than one, so I have a couple of other people editing the podcast along with me and I have every bit of trust in their editing skills. Other than that though, this podcast is my own creation and I'm the main funder of it. I will be paying the authors who contribute, and hopefully I can follow in Escape Pod's success.

So, why am I mentioning it here?

Well, I know that there are a lot of wannabe writers on the forums here. The Great Beyond is slated to have it's episode by the second or third week of May, and I would like to invite any authors to contribute their longer fiction to it. All the details for the submission process are on Ralan.com under the "Paying Markets" sidebar link and under the listing "The Great Beyond".

We've been getting good submissions, but we can always use more.

Secondly, I think I'm going to be keeping a building/editing progress in this forum for the website and the podcast, if Mr. Eley won't mind that is?

So, to any wannabe writers out there, send in your longer fiction!

And to Mr. Eley, keep up the good work.

-Amory Lowe
Editor at The Great Beyond Podcast

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 04:38:28 AM
Secondly, I think I'm going to be keeping a building/editing progress in this forum for the website and the podcast, if Mr. Eley won't mind that is?

Not at all!  More fiction podcasting is a Very Good Thing.  Anything I can do to support the effort, I'll be happy to do.  And once it's up of course I'll mention it on Escape Pod so people can go and listen.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Shaun Farrell

• Extern
    • Adventures in Scifi Publishing
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 09:42:40 PM
Looks interesting, and I look forward to listening. I noticed you are closing following Escapepod's submission guidelines. Not a bad idea, I suppose. If it works so well for them. . . .Best of luck with it!

This month at the Adventures in Scifi Publishing podcast: John Ringo and Keith R.A. DeCandido. And coming soon: David Webber and James Van Pelt. www.adventuresinscifipublishing.blogspot.com